Concrete methods and pedagogy based on years of classroom experience; I provide and help you discover repeatable skills and find a heartfelt connection to the text, the scene and your acting partners. No mind games, no magic tricks - just imagination and rigor brought to bear on the art.
I am a professional actor, director and producer. I have an extensive resume in all three disciplines, have guest starred on numerous TV shows, appeared in films, shot more than 75 national commercials and have taught Acting, Script Analysis, On Camera, Improvisation, Sketch, Styles, Audition Technique et al at NYU Undergrad and now at USC
First introductory half hour costs $50.00
Master acting teacher with more than 25 years of experience. Expertise in ensemble building and teaching various acting methods in many disciplines. Proven leadership experience. A working professional actor, director and producer who brings first-hand experience to his students.
Curriculum Development Program Leadership Ensemble Building
Proficient in Styles Improvisation On Camera
Directing Teacher Training Commercial Technique
USC School of Dramatic Arts - 2017 – Present
• Intermediate Acting: 20th Century Realism (plays of the Great Depression – WW II)
• On-Camera Technique – film acting, audition technique and cold reads
• Improvisation – Theater games, short form improvisation and story telling
• Theater 101 – Introduction to Theater and Acting
Atlantic Theater Company Acting School - Practical Aesthetics, NYC 1991 – Present
Taught all levels of acting and improvisation in the NYU BFA program and private conservatory
• First-year script analysis and performance technique
• Developed and implemented a styles curriculum focusing on rhyming verse, classic screwball comedy, film noir and silent physical comedy
• Immersive semester: the plays of Clifford Odets
• Immersive semester: American playwrights from the Great Depression through the 1950’s
• Immersive semester – the craft of comedy: silent, theatrical, TV and film
• Script analysis and performance technique to American college students as well as international students in six-week, summer intensive program
• 14-week semester of improvisation focusing on impulse, ensemble building and story telling
• On-camera commercial audition technique
• Directed numerous full-length and one-act productions as well as produced evenings of one-acts performed by 2nd year students in the program (see directing resume for detailed information)
• Trained new faculty
Tom Todoroff Conservatory, NYC 2014 - 2016
Improvisation: 6-8 week intensive focusing on impulse, ensemble building, short form story telling
The Matt Newton Acting Studio, NYC & Los Angeles 2015 - 2018
On Camera Acting: 4-6 week intensives in on camera basics and audition technique
Pace University, Musical Theater B.F.A. Program 2015
Acting for Film and Television: 14 week semester of script analysis and basics of on camera acting.
Tisch School of the Arts, New York University 1994-1997
Taught Acting for Non-Majors to NYU undergraduates
• Curriculum included theater games, simple objectives, stagecraft, basic script analysis and scene study
Artist in Residence
Oberlin Theater Institute, Oberlin College 1986-1989
Taught students 18-25 in summer intensive program while performing with the repertory company
• Acting, movement, clowning, basic stage combat & improvisation
• Performed with members of the Royal Shakespeare Company including Patrick Stewart, Lisa Harrow and Peter Needham
• Created/directed original one-act plays and improvised ensemble movement choreography
Good Clean Fun: an Educational Improvisation Company 1984 –1990
• Performed Story Theater, conducted workshops and created original work with students throughout the NY metropolitan area.
• Wrote and performed new scenes and plays on demand tailored to the teaching points of high schools, temples and youth groups
Associate Director, Atlantic Theater Company Acting School 1993 - 1997
• Managed curriculum development, scheduling and student advisement
• Produced and directed full-length and one-act student productions
• Managed advertising, payroll and interns
• Liaised with NYU Department of Undergraduate Drama on capitation and other key administrative issues
Bachelor of Fine Arts, New York University’s Tisch School of the Arts
Circle in the Square Theater School and Practical Aesthetics Workshop (now known as Atlantic Theater Company Acting School)
Faculty Included William H. Macy, David Mamet, Felicity Huffman, Alan Langdon, Therese Hayden
references – letters available on request
acting lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest improvisational theater lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, musical theater lessons for all!
Taking scenography lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|