Through techniques I've learned from the past twenty years of following self expression, emotion, and poetry, I help to inspire participants by demonstrating the performance of emotionally charged work. Using writing prompts and inspirational, techniques we will create a work of honest and authentic self expression. After the editing process, we then begin to work on the recitation of this work in a sincere and real way. With activities focused on finding our authentic voice, feeling comfortable on stage, speaking from your heart, and allowing ourselves to be genuine and vulnerable.
I am the Albuquerque Poet Laureate Emeritus 2016-2018. I began my poetry career as a performance poet in slam poetry. I have taught and performed spoken word for over 18 years throughout New Mexico and Nationally. I have coached professional public speakers and poetry slam teams, overcome barriers that may hold them back from performing their work to the best of their abilities. I have perfected my teaching techniques to help you find your voice.
Students of all ages and skill level are welcomed. Will travel within Albuquerque, NM. Please ask about travel rates outside of Albuquerque, NM. If you need to cancel your session, please contact me 24 hrs before to cancel. If you do not show up for a session, you will still be charged the full amount previously agreed on.
2018 Host and Performer for the Martin Luther King Jr committee talent show
2018 Artist in residence at YDDC workshop facilitator with incarcerated youth.
● 4/2016- 2018 City of Albuquerque Poet Laureate (2016-2018)
4/2016- present Director and Organizer of Burque's Louder than a Bomba Youth Poetry Festival
● 2015- present Voces de Libertad poetry workshop series at Santa Fe Youth Detention
Center. Facilitate poetry writing workshops on coping with emotional trauma and searching our cultural roots
● 4/2013- present Low-Writing: Writing workshop , Writing workshop that is open to the
community to promote self expression and community through writing. Held at El Chante:Casa de Cultura, Albuquerque, NM. the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of every month.
● 1/16-12/16 Trans-gendered Writing workshop, Writing workshop that is open to the LGBTQ community and supporters. Held at Transgender Resource Center of NM, Albuquerque,NM the 1st and 3rd Friday of every month.
● 12/16,17/15 Deming Charter High School, Deming,NM, Facilitated with other artists writing workshops to promote positive self expression.
● 12/2-5/15 Returning the Gift: Native and Indigenous writing workshop and storytelling
festival Albuquerque, NM, Volunteer on head planning committee and
● 11/9-10/15 Rio Grande High School, Albuquerque, NM, Facilitated poetry writing
workshops to promote positive self-expression.
● 11/2-3,6/15 Valley High School, Albuquerque, NM. Facilitated poetry writing workshops to promote positive self-expression.
● 10/23/15 Hip Hop Workshop presented at South Valley Male Involvement Project: Youth Summit, Albuquerque, NM
● 10/12-13,16/15 West Mesa High School, Albuquerque, NM. Facilitated poetry writing
workshops to promote positive self-expression.
● 10/5/15 Mora Independent School District, Mora, NM. Facilitated school assembly,
classroom writing workshops, and Teacher Professional Development workshop.
● 9/22/15 Jemez Valley High School, Jemez, NM. Presented student assembly on positive self expression through writing.
● 2011-2015 Poets-in-the-schools Raton High School, Raton, NM. Annual two week program of writing workshops and open mics focused on literacy and self-expression with 300 high school students.
● 3/18-21/15 Women of the World Poetry Slam, Albuquerque, NM. Volunteer on planning committee and volunteer on event production.
● 9/1/14-3/1/15 Poetry and Visual Narrative Workshop at the YDDC youth detention center of New Mexico. Worked with visual artist to help incarcerated youth express themselves.
2008-2009 Synergy Program, Collaboration with visual artists working with the homeless community
2012-2015 REEL FATHERS, The Father Question working with ninth grade students at Capital High and connecting with the father-son theme in The Odyssey by reading, writing, dialoguing and writing poems and letters to their fathers.
2001- 2015 Sequoyah Adolescent Treatment Center, Teaching writing workshops on self expression and the therapeutic aspects of poetry to residents
2001-2015 New Mexico CultureNet, Poets in the Schools(PITS) program working in middle schools and High Schools teaching poetry workshops focusing on literacy, creative writing, and public speaking
National Poetry Slam Performances representing Albuquerque, NM 2000 Albuquerque, NM Slam Team (Providence, Rhode Island) 2002 Albuquerque, NM Slam Team (Minneapolis, Minnesota) 2003 Albuquerque, NM Slam Team (Chicago, Illinois) 2006 Albuquerque, NM Slam Team (Austin,Texas)
Co-Founder of The Angry Brown Poets poetry troupe 2000-2004
Performance/workshops: Beloit College, Beloit,Wisconsin 2001
Performance/workshops: University of Colorado, Colorado Springs, Colorado 2002
Poet in residence at Capshaw Middle School in Santa Fe 2005-2014
Poet in residence at Coronado elementary School in Albuquerque 2011-2014,2016
literature lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest creative writing lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, poetry lessons for all!
Taking oral expression lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$40||$25|
|5 hours||Not available||$175||$125|
|10 hours||Not available||$325||$250|