- Hourly rate $20
- Response Time 3h
- Number of students 13
1st lesson free!
¡APRENDAMOS ESPAÑOL! Experienced native language teacher gives online Spanish lessons/courses to all levels.
- San Diego
We host the best tutors. Quality of their profile, experience in their field. Gabriela will be happy to arrange your first lesson Spanish.
About the lesson
Would you like to learn Spanish but don't know where to start? Do you already know Spanish but need to get more practice? Do you need a tutor to get ready for a Spanish test?
I know you've read "personalized lessons" a lot but, what does that mean exactly? Here is how I give personalized instruction to my learners:
- Our first lesson is free so we get to know each other; you see the way I work and the type of activities/materials I use. You tell me what you need to learn Spanish for and I also check your level of Spanish.
- Then, I design a study plan according to your goals and interests and I share it with you, so you have realistic goals that are also achievable. - I won't lie to you, you won't be a native-like speaker in 3 months :) but you'll surely learn and communicate in Spanish according to your level!!
- Lessons are based on interaction, combining listening and reading in order to develop all your language skills. Writing is usually assigned as homework so class time is dedicated to speaking moslty. But you can freely ask for changes :)
- If you agree, I can also give you assignments for you to practice in your spare time. You can send them to my email at any time, I check them and give you feedback for improvement.
- I design materials and homework related to your learning goals and I also use supporting materials from other sources. I provide everything you need to practice and become competent in the language.
- The class environment is friendly and fun, so your motivation to learn and speak Spanish increases. Class activities resemble real-life situations all the time!!
Levels and courses I teach:
- Beginner (A1 -A2)
- Intermediate (B1 - B2)
- Advanced (C1 -C2)
- Test preparation
- Spanish for specific purposes (travel, work, etc.)
- Hispanic literature with focus on Spanish language learning
- All Levels
I have more than 15 years of teaching experience. I have a Bachelor's degree in language teaching, a Master's degree in Media Education and I hold certifications to teach English and Spanish as foreign languages. Also, and I constantly enroll in continuing training programs and courses to improve my skills and teaching pratices.
I have taught in face-to-face, blended and online learning environments, teaching individual private lessons and also managing groups of 10 to 40 students.
I want you to know that before being a language teacher, I am a language learner. I am a fluent speaker of English and Italian, and I am currently learning French. It’s been so rewarding to learn other languages and be able to fluently communicate with people from different cultural backgrounds, that I decided to become a teacher and help others learn a new language, overcome difficulties they may encounter and transmit the same passion and love I have for languages to my students.
And last but certainly not least, I take your learning seriously!! Book your trial lesson today, you're more than welcome!!
Perfect! Gabriela will tailor every single lesson the the needs of her students. She is an excellent teacher, very professional, and a pleasure to work with!
Perfect! Gabriela is kind, smart, and a great teacher.
Perfect! I like Gabriela’s manner and friendliness. I’m looking forward to starting my lessons with her.
Perfect! Gabriela is an amazing teacher. She is very patient and very enthusiastic about teaching. She makes you feel very comfortable and eager to learn. Her teaching method is accompanied by homework, lesson plans, and slideshows. These have been an amazing accompaniment to the lessons. Her lessons are fun and make learning so easy. I highly recommend her as a teacher.
- Gabriela's response : Sam is a very committed and responsible student and she truly wants to speak the language; her progress is remarkable so far. It's a pleasure to have her as student in my class.
Perfect! Gabriela is very professional. She responds promptly to messages. She comes to class with a well-organized lesson plan that includes a variety of different activities. Most of the activities during class are short, fun, games designed to keep young students' attention. She also assigns homework to reinforce the lessons. Overall, I was very impressed by what a high-quality, professional class experience she offers.
Perfect! Ms. Grabiel is a great teacher, very professional, and optimistic about teaching
I enjoy my lesson each time
having to teach someone who's a beginner, she still makes time to teach without rushing through lessons thoroughly.
- Gabriela's response : She is self-motivated and enthusiastic about learning Spanish, which is great. I could also see that learns fast and she actively participates in class.
View more reviews
Mrs. Torres was my professor at the university, she has been one of the best teachers I've had. She is very devoted to her students and their learning process. She has many positive characteristics, she is very patient and she really cares, she is passionate and she is always happy. I absolutely recommend her because she makes you want to improve and she pushes you to be better.
It is a great pleasure for me, Kerlyn Burgos, to write this academic recommendation to support my dear former teacher Gabriela Torres as an outstanding language professor. I am pleased to know her for six years, she was my teacher in various language classes in college. At all times, she demonstrated mastery of each of the subjects she taught. I was impressed with the responsibility and commitment to their students from the beginning to the end of the academic term. In addition, she never forgets her students, when she has the opportunity, she involves them in different academic activities outside the classroom to help them in their development and acquisition of different academic experiences. She is very patient with her students and always tries to simply explain a topic until the students fully understand it. Taking a language class with her is a wonderful and meaningful experience!
Grabiela’s lesson was so much fun and interactive. I consider myself an introverted student but in class, she made me feel home. I got that feeling of confidence and freedom to make mistakes because she was there to help me learn and grow, all with patience and love that only a unique and authentic teacher has. With her, you’ll start learning from the very first minute of class. She does not waste any opportunity to teach you something new; especially using REAL LIFE EXAMPLES. Plus, she is fluent in more languages so I gained not only a view of the Spanish language and culture but also a view of other languages and how these languages are somehow connected to one another, a fact that boosted the class learning environment. In short, I really enjoyed her lesson! Do not hesitate to choose her, she IS a SUPERPROF!!
I met Gabriela when she became my instructor in college and if I had to describe her with one word, it would be excellence. Gabriela is a very passionate person who enjoys teaching and always gives her best. She cares about her students and their learning. She adapts to her student’s needs and makes sure her approach is being effective. Besides, she is a lot of fun and keeps her class interesting. If I had to rate her from one to ten, it would be an undeniable ten. I had plenty of instructors in college but very few like her. With Gabriela, you will have the best teacher you could ask for.
View more recommendations
- 5h: $100
- 10h: $200
Cancellation policy: 100% of the price if cancelled within 24 hours before the lesson starts.
Find out more about Gabriela
1) Do you speak this language fluently because of your origins or because a teacher inspired you to learn?
I am a native speaker of the language; however, I am also a language learner. I've learned English and Italian, and I'm currently learning French. I love languages and former teachers have also played an important role in my life and have been of inspiration for me.
2) Can you name a living, historical or fictional character that you think is the emblematic representative of the language's culture?
Among all the characters I can think of, this time I would like to name Rubén Darío, from Nicaragua. An important poet and writer in Latin America, he's known as the mayor promoter of Modernism in Latin America and he also modernized the rhythm of Castilian verse with his poetry.
3) Is there a typical word, phrase, tradition or behaviour in the language that you particularly like?
This is a difficult question since there are many I like. But today, I'll choose this one I love and repeat to myself "El que persevera, alcanza"; which means "those who persevere, achieve…" When you set goals in life, you'll find obstacles, so you must be perseverant and persistent to keep focused on achieving those goals. And this is also true when it comes to language learning, there will be difficulties, but with perseverance and commitment, you can learn the language and learn it well.
4) Why does speaking this language matter to you?
First, it's my mother tongue. Secondly, Spanish is spoken in more than 20 countries as the official language. That makes Spanish a very important language in the world; for business, tourism and travel, study, among others. More and more people are deciding to learn Spanish nowadays and globalization is one of the reasons for this.
5) What is the main difficulty in learning this language and what can help the process of learning?
The use of the subjunctive for English speakers, since this form doesn't exist in English. However, if practiced in context, with real-life interactions in and outside the class, readings of authentic materials, and other exercises, the students can learn it and internalize it. It will take some time, but they will make it!
6) Provide a valuable anecdote related to your language learning or your days at school.
I was an English learner, and my level was intermediate high (B2), I had the opportunity to serve as an interpreter for a brigade that came from the US to Honduras, my country. It was indeed an enriching experience not only because it was an opportunity to practice and develop my language skills, but also because I had the opportunity to help, in some way, my people.
7) How has travel or a specific trip helped you to increase your skill and knowledge of the language?
I lived and studied in Italy for two years. Even though Spanish is not spoken there, the Hispanic community of students in the university was quite large. How did this help me increase my skills? We were from different countries in Latin America and there were people from Spain, too. All of us speaking the same language, but with different accents and traditions. I learned a lot about idiomatic expressions that are not used in my country, but they are in others and one amazing thing was to learn that some words change meaning from one country to another and there can be misunderstandings. So, after that I started including the more common words of that type in my classes as well.
8) What makes you a Superprof in language?
Besides being qualified as a language teacher, I am passionate about language learning since I'm a language learner; I love to transmit that very same passion to my students. When you're passionate about something, you don't do it as an obligation, but as a pleasure. And that's my feeling in every lesson I teach; it's a pleasure for me, I enjoy the lessons and make them enjoyable for my students as well, I also love learning from my students' cultural backgrounds and experiences and above all, I love witnessing my students' progress as they achieve their Spanish learning goals.