I am new to teaching and am still learning what works best for my students. What I do know is that each person learns differently, so I do not use one specific approach. Instead, I can adapt to your interests and goals. Whether your goal is to become an artist, to find or refine your style, to use creativity as a way to process your thoughts, or just to have fun, I would love to support your creative process.
What I can offer you:
- A positive, supportive, encouraging one-on-one space where we can create together to jumpstart and energize the creative process
- Lessons and projects custom tailored to fit your skill level, interests, and goals
- As much, or as little, constructive critiquing, suggestions, and homework practice as you prefer
- Tips to refine technique, to choose the best tools and materials, to achieve what you want
- Methods to overcome creative blocks
- Transforming ideas, feelings, and emotions into abstract, surreal, and expressive art
- How to turn everyday observations and experiences into inspiration; explore new ways of seeing
- Steps to become a more creative thinker, independent learner (learn to teach yourself), and artist (how to find inspiration and motivation)
- For those just starting out: Displaying and selling your art online, applying to exhibitions, creating portfolios for galleries and prospective clients
Hello! / Bonjour! I am a life-long artist, designer, and enthusiast of arts, languages, and cultures from the United States. I graduated with a Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree from the University of Michigan School of Art and Design in 2007. My work has been exhibited in galleries, at regional and national competitions, and has won awards. I have also been commissioned to create professional projects for independent clients and small businesses. I do not claim to be a great artist – I am still learning – but I have a lot of experience, passion, and creative approaches to offer you.
My experience includes:
- Painting: Oils, watercolor, acrylics, egg tempera, gouache, ink washes (sumi-e and other Asian styles), mixed media, plein air (painting outdoors)
- Drawings and Line Art: Traditional nib pen and India ink, calligraphy, converting drawings on paper to digital images, graphite, charcoal, colored pencil, oil pastel
- Sculpture: Clay, felt, wood, metal, paper, mixed media (artist books, journals)
- Sewing: Costumes, modified clothing, small accessories
- Photography (traditional, pinhole, and digital)
- Design: Residential floor plan layouts, design for custom residential kitchens and woodwork
- Self-publishing a book featuring my pen-and-ink comics
- Community art for nonprofit organizations
- Teaching small arts classes (example: 2D and 3D painting projects for young students) and workshops (example: hemp jewelry)
- Traditional photography (example: creating and using a pinhole camera)
- Professional preparation as a full-time Fine Art student (University of Michigan; AP Art concentration in high school)
- Preparing art for galleries, exhibitions, portfolios, websites, and archival needs
My work: michellebien.com and studiobien.com
More about me: I love to meet new people, write blog posts and fiction, create new recipes, garden, read, run, dance, spend time outdoors, learn, and travel. I have traveled to France, Canada, and Ukraine. I also love studying languages, and I have a Certificate in Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL/TESOL). I look forward to teaching French as well.
Teaching fulfills one of my goals to serve others in a way that helps them to express the best version of themselves. I love observing how all ages approach creativity in their own unique way. Most importantly, helping others is fulfilling work to me. I want to help you succeed.
drawing lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest painting lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, art and design lessons for all!
Taking illustration lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||$15|