My goal as a tutor is to use mathematics to instill a passion for learning that the student may use to explore other new and exciting subjects, math related or otherwise. I approach each lesson with an open mind, seeing where the student is, their level of understanding and the methods they choose to work out each problem. From there I correct any misstep, and clarify the correction so that they may understand the logic behind the right procedure.
I have a BS in Mathematics as well as teaching and tutoring experience in math, physics, Spanish, yoga and stretching.
10 years of managing and bar tending in some of NYC’s top bars and restaurants.
2 years of teaching yoga and stretching.
Volunteer tutor at South Bronx United- worked with young, diverse students with a passion for soccer.
Racker - Racked Stretch
August 2019 to Present
New York, NY
Stretching instructor and trainer using group and individual sessions to teach proper anatomical alignment as well as stretching techniques to not only increase athletic performance, but also to make every day life movements easier on the body and the mind.
Private Client - College Algebra Tutor
March 2020 to June 2020
New York, NY
- Over the course of the tutoring sessions the student progressed from consistently failing test scores to an average score of A on exams.
- Developed a customized and targeted learning plan to ensure understanding and retention of the material.
- Crafted specific tasks and opportunities that allowed the student to build confidence in the subject and trust in their knowledge of the course.
- Gained experience working with Zoom white board and other tools.
Volunteer Afternoon Tutor - Middle School (6th-8th Grade)
January 2020 to April 2020
South Bronx United New York, NY
Tutored young diverse students from the South Bronx in their mathematics and science curriculum.
- Created specific exercises that allowed the students to develop a genuine interest in the study of STEM subjects.
- Encouraged the students through a positive work environment that allowed them to learn at their own pace and capacity.
- Worked with different personalities and adapted the teaching methodologies to obtain maximum results.
Manager and Bartender- Various Bars and Restaurants in NYC
March 2011 to March 2020
New York, NY
Worked in the New York City Night Life industry for 9 years in some of the most prestigious and well known bars the city has to offer.
Mastro's Steakhouse, Beauty & Essex, PS 450/Noble NYC, Slate NYC, Gansevoort on Park, Down the Hatch, Rare Rooftop
- Managed staff of 20-30 employees.
- Inventory and ordering.
- Highly experienced with various POS sytems and some experience with BOH system management.
- Created cocktail and food menus.
- High speed, high energy environment.
- Fast and efficient bartender with training on proper points of sale and service.
- Consistently one of the highest ringers and preffered service bartender.
- Catered to celebrities and high stature clientele.
Aprentice Yoga Instructor- 100hr Yoga Teaching Practice
March 2019 to July 2019
Jai Yoga Arts, Brooklyn NY
- Learned from working with other aprentices involved in the program.
- Worked as an apprentice, getting real studio teaching experience with a diverse group of people.
- Created class sequences and music playlists to go along with the theme.
- Helped with the upkeep of studio and general BOH responsabilities.
Careers in Education- Central Gwinnett HS
August 2006 to May 2006
High School Program designed for students with an interest in the education field.
- Teacher Assitant for 2nd Grade at Lawrenceville Elementary School.
- Worked with the special education unit once a week, doing one-on-one sessions with an autisic student.
Private Client/Special Ed - PreCalculus Tutor
August 2005 to May 2006
- Tutored a Special Ed student on trigonometry and precalculus during senior year of HS.
- Helped student with homework and other assignments on a semi-weekly basis.
Georgia Southern University - May 2009
Bachelor of Science In Mathematics
Minor in Spanish
- Courses taken included: Calculus (I, II,III), Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, Modern Algebra (I,II), Advanced Geometry, Statistical Methods, Probability, Operations Research.
Licenses & Certifications
YogaWorks (January 2019)
RYT 200HR Yoga Teacher Certification
Karma Kids (October 2019)
Teacher Certification Karma Kids Yoga
Felipe is knowledgable in Mathematics. Additionally he does a great job at breaking down the mathematical process to fully deliver a complete understanding of a problem. He is patient and brings himself to the student level so he can authentically help your confusion. His tips and tricks leave you making connections to other math solutions!! I recommend his instruction.
My experience with Felipe was awesome! He’s extremely thorough and attentive to any questions you might have.
Very detailed, targeted sessions, genuinely interested in ensuring students grasp the material. Patient and ready to go at each individual student’s pace and style. Prepared and very thorough in the content that he covers.
Felipe tutored me for two college level physics without calculus courses. I found Felipe very thorough with his student engagement by taking time to explain fundamental formulas and demonstrating empathy by breaking down complex problem solving instead of just sharing the solution. Felipe not only reviewed homework assignments during our weekly sessions, he also reached out pre and post examination to evaluate mistakes and provide instruction on how not to make them in the future. These post examination sessions paid dividends for my GPA during the course finals. I found Felipe very knowledgeable, easy to work with, and more importantly, he could translate a foreign subject matter in morsels I could understand, essentially tailoring the course lessons to my learning curve.
Felipe is the kindest and most patient!!! As someone who wasn’t great at math as a child, its wonderful seeing how Felipe is helping my children overcome similar barriers in their understanding of mathematics...and how he makes it fun for them! I wish I had
someone like him when I was younger as under his tutelage, my children no longer procrastinate and dread that part of their homework. He’s also a certified yoga teacher so he has a bunch of different techniques to help calm my kids when they get frustrated. Highly HIGHLY recommend!
We were classmates and he is an excellent mathematical mind and very gifted at explaining how to do things the right way. He is extremely confident in his own skills while also open to outside opinion. Highly recommended as a teacher!
mathematics lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest algebra lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, trigonometry lessons for all!
Taking geometry lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||$30|