IT for beginners is excellent because it lays out bite-sized steps that you can follow, which allows you to be able to use modern technology. From PCs to laptops, to tablets, to phones; no matter what your device, there is something to learn. Taking things slowly integrates the beginners understanding with new technologies. Which ensures that the novice isn't isolated and left unsure of what to do.
IT for people without much experience requires practice and patience, then the Newbie will be able to build their confidence. During the learning stages, it is crucial to learn how to do new things independently.
In this article will guide you through, installing software, taking screenshots, changing your keyboard layout and changing the language of your devices. Are you ready to follow along? Let's go!
How To Install Microsoft Office On Your Computer?
Microsoft's latest offering is MS office 365, it is a feature packed subscription-based software suite. It has everything you would expect from Microsoft including Microsoft word and excel and something you would not expect; 1 TB of cloud storage.
To install MS 365 on your windows pc, you must
Install For Windows
- Sign in to your account at www.office.com
- On the office home page and click install office
- Double click the download to open the dialogue box and select Run
- Agree with any pop-up windows by selecting yes
- The installer starting
- Once done you will see a confirmation.
- When you open the software for the first time, you will be asked to activate the software.
- Accept the license agreement, and you are ready to go
Look out for computer programming courses on Superprof.
How To Take A Screenshot On Your Computer And Devices?
You have just seen a fascinating article online and would love to keep a copy of it. You try to copy it, but the page is protected, you think about writing it down, but that would take too long. Unsure of a solution you wish that there was a way for you to copy the screen. Well, there is, and it is conveniently called a screenshot.
Taking a screenshot is an innocuous action for many people, as simple as a copy and paste. But for IT beginners it can be a bit more complicated or challenging. Thankfully there is lots of free and paid software available for you to try.
My personal favourite ways to take screenshots are with 3 pieces of software
- MS Onenote clip add on for chrome
- Pocket app
- The snipping tool
This is a full featured note-taking tool and notes, of course, include screenshots. By clicking the Onenote add-in on my chrome browser, I can select from 4 options.
- Snip the full page
- Just a region of the page
- Copy the text only in an article format for later reading
- Or create a bookmark
Once an option is selected, I then decide which notebook I want the screenshot to be saved in and when I go to the notebook it will be saved to a new page.
I Love This For:
I love this for building my notebooks, digital scrapbooking, saving shopping lists, saving the full page that I have to read later and for inspiration.
This is a reading app; that lets you collect any text from around the web. It then copies the text to your account where you can read it at a later date. This only screenshots full pages and you have less control over how it does it. But this is great if you want to copy the whole page and don't want to do multiple screenshots.
- Right-click the page you want to save and search for pocket in the options.
Bear in mind you have to set up an account first and install the add on (in chrome or other browsers) to have this functionality.
I Love This For:
Saving pages from my pc that I want to read later on my phone via the app. You can organise everything with tags and build a full library of content.
Check out the best IT courses London on here.
The Snipping Tool
This is a full-featured tool to take timed screenshots, do a screenshot of just a region of a window on the page. It's free and comes with windows.
- Press the windows button
- Type snipping tool
- Open it and chose the kind of screenshot you would like
- You can now draw over it, save it, copy it or share it.
Here Is Other Screenshot Software Available On Windows
- Easy Capture,
- ScreenHunter Freeware,
- Web Screen Capture,
Here Is Other Screenshot Software Available On A Mac:
- Cam to Scan,
- Snapz Pro X,
- Camtasia for Mac,
- Screenshot Plus,
- Onde Screen Capture,
Here Are Some Screenshot Apps For Android:
- AZ Screen Recorder - No Root,
- Screen Recorder for Android,
- Easy Screenshot,
- Lovekara Screenshot,
- Meihillman Screenshot.
Boost Productivity With The Right Keyboard Layout
QWERTY is the name of the way your keyboard is laid out on your device. While keyboard layout isn't something that we have to often think about it is essential to type a document with efficiency and speed. Having a set layout also allows us to learn where the keys are which is the primary reason that some people can type 100 words a minute.
However QWERTY isn't the only keyboard layout, there are layouts which are designed and sold with computers to suit the different languages around the world. Some have unique letters with accents, others have keys missing as they are not needed in that language.
In English, the QWERTY keyboard layout is the default standard and if you want to set up your devices to work with this layout here is what you can do.
Set Up Your Windows PC Keyboard In QWERTY.
- Go to the start menu. The key to open this menu is at the bottom left of your keyboard and looks like a window.
- Click on settings (Control Panel)
- Now select ‘Time & language.’
- Next, Go to ‘Region & language.’
- Click English in the list of languages to open its menu.
- You should see the option to add a keyboard here. Make sure you click it and check that it is installed.
- Exiting this area, click the language again and this time activate the ‘set as default’ option.
- The last step is to restart your machine, and your keyboard layout should be set to QWERTY.
Set Up Your iPhone To Use QWERTY Layout
- Settings tab>General tab> Keyboard tab >Keyboards option
- You will see the installed keyboards, they are presented as languages.
- Click on English or click add a new keyboard and install English if it isn’t there.
- You will now see keyboard layout options, select QWERTY.
- Exit and your keyboard will be updated
How To Change The Language Of Your PC Or Phone?
Foreign languages are unusual, exciting, exotic and enchanting. But if you don't speak the language and find yourself trying to manoeuvre through a laptop that is popping up warnings that you cant read and with menus that you can't pronounce. The language slowly becomes annoying, disruptive, inconvenient and time-consuming.
How To Make Changes When You Can't Understand The Menu
If your device is already in a language that you don't understand. Then despite how helpful the instructions are, you will still have trouble following them because you won't be able to read or understand the menu items to make the necessary changes. To get started on changing the language you should try one of the following things to help you follow along.
- Get a friend who speaks the language to do it for you or any least translate for you.
- Get the Google Translate app or use the website to translate for you. The best way to do this is to type the English word for what you are looking for into the software. Once it is translated look for the foreign word in the menu.
- Still too hard? You can watch the youtube video and follow along as they guide you through.
- Steps can be distinctive for the different brands, models, software versions. When you do a search, try to be specific using the following formula: Brand +model number + change system language. This will return accurate results.
Update The Language On Your Mac
- Click the apple icon and scroll to system preferences
- Select the language & text menu item
- Choose your language.
- Drag your language to the top of the list.
- Exit the box and reopen system preferences
- Your language settings are updated
Update Language In Windows
- Click the start menu and Type ‘Region & Language.’
- Click ‘add a language.’
- Click on your language
- Click the language box and in the menu that appears click options
- Click install to download the language
- Click ‘set as default.’
- The next time you restart the machine the settings will take effect.
Find IT training courses near you.
When you are a technology novice, there can be lots of things that can appear that you have to either take care of yourself or pay someone to do for you. But the good news is that the people who make computers, phones and other devices know that newbies will be using their software and they are working tirelessly to make it easier for you to not only use your computer but to enjoy the journey as well.
No matter what it is that you need to do on your pc, you can learn to do it yourself. With patience, practice and a bit of common sense you can go from being an inexperienced computer user to a highly competent and confident one.