There are so many resources available for us that we can learn to do pretty much anything just with an internet connection. And there's also a lot of things you can learn with videos. You can learn how to draw, edit videos, get help for math homework, find an analysis of the book you're reading in class, and more.
To that list, you can add learning how to code and program. You can find hundreds of pages that offer video tutorials on how to start programming.
In this article, we will share with you some tools and resources, (which are for free) you can use to learn how to code and learn about coding languages.
Keep in mind that learning how to program can be challenging and if you need help navigating all the information you find online you can always hire a private tutor to guide and help you.
There are also many courses available online, some are free but if you want certification you probably have to pay. Learn more about Learning to Code Online! and which tools you have to pay for and which are free.
Although free resources can be an amazing opportunity, paid courses or private classes will give you more insight on the subject.
For more information on this subject check out our Guide to Coding.
Find Videos Online
Students usually go online looking for answers they can't find in their notebooks because they know they can find a video tutorial with the information they need.
If you are a visual learner then learning with videos can be a great tool. A video platform will have all kinds of videos displaying information interactively.
You can search for free videos to help you understand a subject in school, you can find videos that explain how to pass the hardest level in your favorite videogame, you can find cooking classes, a channel that has a review for every game of your favorite team, and so on.
The best free resource out there is YouTube. Although finding the accounts who are teaching programming properly can be tricky. But not to worry, that's why we're here!
We've narrowed down your search and have five YouTube profiles that you can use to learn how to code. Keep in mind that coding is not a simple task to learn and even though there are all of these free resources available, you have to be disciplined if you want to learn.
- The New Boston: This channel has over 2 million subscribers and more than 4200 videos and it's the most-watched web-development YouTube channel. The channel is catered for beginners and students who are learning about the web, platform, or program design. Popular videos are usually quick tutorials for different things. For example, there's a 30-minute video tutorial to learn about Python, and so on.
- Eli the Computer Guy: This channel has 942K subscribers and almost 1000 video tutorials. Eli covers diverse topics ranging from web development to networking and various others. The channel has tons of videos on web programming illustrated with live practical demonstrations.
- Edureka: This channel has 772K subscribers and 2320 videos. Like The Next Boston, this channel is catered for beginners. Edureka is one of the best YouTube channels to learn web development, as it provides extensive videos on different languages covering a vast range of topics.
Don't forget that the best way to guarantee you're learning properly is by getting help from a private tutor!
You can go online and find all kinds of courses for every subject and any format you can imagine. Some courses are paid and others are free. Some courses are designed for kids, school students, beginner-level classes, and more.
All you have to do is find the one that best suits you. If you like listening to people talk and give lectures you could find a paid college course and learn from great teachers. If you like reading all your information you can find great courses designed that way. And if you like visual learning then you should find visually designed courses.
Computer science is a complex field of study and if you want to learn more about it you will have to work hard to reach your goals. Finding an online course is the easy part. The hard part comes once you start the course.
Keep in mind that video courses are much more fun and interactive but also if you missed something, you have to go back on the video and lose time looking for the information you missed. So once you start the course be sharp and work on your attention skills.
Is there a way of learning to code for free? Find out!
Is learning with videos easy?
The learning process is different for each person and there are four different types of learners. One type of learner is the kinesthetic and those are the students that learn and gain skills by doing things and gaining experience.
The second one is the readers and writers. These people learn when they read or write about the subject they're learning. The third is the aural learners, which means they learn by listening, these learners thrive in lectures by just sitting down and listening.
Finally, there are visual learners. A visual learner is someone who learns through visual stimulation. This means that they can understand things better when they are explained visually, or for you to learn something you need to see it. For instance, visual learners need Venn diagrams, graphs, videos, or color-coding to learn better and faster.
Learning with videos is going to be easy for visual and aural learners because they can see and listen to the information given in a video. But, there is no way for us to know if you are a visual learner, it's up to you to figure that out by yourself. If this is the case for you, then learning to code with video tutorials can be the right fit for you.
If you are a visual learner, here are some tips for you to optimize your studying:
- Make to-do lists in an agenda
- Take notes during lectures to make learning faster
- Color-code everything!
- Be sure to read the diagrams, maps, and other visuals that go along with the text to help you remember it
- Sit near the front so you're better able to see everything
- Study alone because any noise will distract you.
- Use outlines and concept maps to organize your notes
- And, choose videos to learn!
We hope this list of resources helps you find the perfect tool to learn how to code and that you are coding in no time! For more information check out these online resources to learn how to code.