Learning about accounting, business, economy, financial statements, tax payments, account statements, state regulations, cash flow, income statement, or asset management can be tricky, especially if you've never heard of these terms before.
That is why you need all the help, guidance, and resources you can get if you wish to dominate the subject.
If you are an accounting student or you wish to learn accounting on your own to start your own business we've gathered together some of the best resources that you can use to study and learn.
First, you should consider hiring an experienced tutor who can help you navigate all the subject's information. If that doesn't work you can always start reading the accounting news, learn how resourceful networking can be, and pursue the licenses and certificates necessary to grow in this industry.
Learn more on our self-employed accounting guide.
Find an accounting tutor
The best resource for students is working directly with a private tutor because they can provide support and guidance in a small amount of time.
Tutors want to see their students succeed in class and their career of choice. If you decide you want to study business, finances, or accounting, we can guarantee you can find a tutor who'll already be working in the industry and will be qualified to give you classes, tips, resources, and many other useful services.
A tutor is not someone who will keep you company while you study. Their mission is to help and push you so that you can succeed in your degree or subject of choice.
Tutors can also become mentors and help you figure out what you want to gain from your career or degree. They can be of great help when you're doubting whether or not a given industry is the one you want to work for the rest of your life.
An accounting tutor will also give small but useful advice to all their students who do end up being interested in working in the business, economy, tax payments, assets, income, expenses, financial statements, account management, cash flow, cost analysis, and so on.
Finally, an accounting tutor can help you navigate the resources available for you. They can give you the most practical and useful software, tell you which sources of information are best, and give you legal advice when necessary.
Private tutors will always set high standards for their students but it is up to the student to decide what goals they wish to achieve with their tutor.
You can search for an accounting or finance tutor right here on Superprof.
Learn to network
Networking is the act of interacting with people with the sole purpose of expanding professional or social contacts and exchange information about a specific field of interest.
Once you enter the professional aspect of life you will see that your degree can take you far but networking can take you even further. There is nothing wrong with meeting people, being social, and creating contacts that can be useful for you in the future.
Imagine you attend a dinner party and one of the attendees works for the company you've always wanted to work for, would you try to talk to them? Your answer is probably yes because, why would you let an opportunity like that pass you?
Well, if you have a computer and access to wifi and you're not networking online then you're letting the opportunity pass.
There are many groups and forums for accountants available for free online, all you have to do is find one you like and start networking.
Here is a quick list of resources you can use to network on your own time:
- The Professional Association of Small Business Accountants - this association hosts three events every year for its members (usually CPAs) and it allows them to meet and chat online.
- Institute of Internal Auditors - if you become a member of the IIA you'll have the opportunity to contact accountants at a local and global scale.
- State CPA societies (directory) - you will find the contact information of fellow CPAs.
- American Accounting Association - the association hosts regional meetings, boot camps, and conferences and you'd have access to job listings, programs, and other opportunities.
- National Association of Tax Professionals - they host annual conferences for both members or people who wish to pay for an event pass. You'd have the opportunity to find people working in the tax field.
- Global Body for Professional Accountants - if you become a member you'll have the opportunity to attend both online and in-person events and meet accountants from different branches, sectors, and parts of the world.
Knowing professionals who work and are interested in the same field as you can also be encouraging and positive for you and your endeavors.
Here are some software recommendations to help you do your accounting.
Become an expert
Part of learning about a new subject and getting a career is starting to follow all the information you can about it. In this case, if you want to learn about accounting or finances we recommend you start following news about the topics. Or if you want to start your own business, you should also learn a little about accounting.
The news can be an amazing resource for any kind of subject, and the good part is that there are newspapers and journals for almost every niche in the world.
If you want to find clear and real information your safest bet is to find a journal and journalists reporting on your subject of interest.
An accounting newspaper or journal will focus only on covering stories about the subject. They can have different sections but the focus will always be the same. And, a journalist specialized in accounting could host a podcast or have a blog. Either resource can be equally useful.
Here is a list of some accounting journals you can check out during your free time:
- Corporate Accounting The Economist - this online segment of The Economist has all the news about international corporate accounting and financial reporting.
- Accounting & Accountants The New York Times - this section has thousands of archives and the journalists on The New York Times work on reporting the news about industry accounting.
- Journal of Accountancy - this journal is directed at professionals and in it they can find news about tax, practice management, financial reporting, and management accounting.
- Strategic Finance Magazine - this is a magazine that publishes once a month and is under subscription. You will find information about how accounting professionals work.
Following the news is especially recommended for students pursuing a degree in finance or accounting from any institution. Or if you want to start your own business, it would be particularly helpful to learn how accountants work and how these professionals manage the industry.
Continue reading and learn how to manage your accounting if you’re self-employed.
CPA or accounting license
The Certified Public Accountant (CPAs) is a certification that distinguishes licensed accounting professionals committed to protecting the public interest. Any new CPA has to pay attention to the licensure renewal requirements because it varies depending on the state you live in.
Generally, to become a CPAs you must earn credits from Continuing Professional Education (CPE) on any webinar, seminar, conference, workshop, or a class certified by AICPA- and NASBA.
There are many resources for Continuing Education for CPAs that you can find online. There are also many services offering help for students who want to get their CPA certification.
There are plenty of other licenses you can get apart from the CPA.
You can become a Certified Management Accountant (CMA) is for accountants who want to specialize in cost and management accounting.
Or you can become an Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) which are accountants who want to get six different global certifications on topics like financial services, risk management assurance, and government auditing.
Finally, you can be a Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA) which is a professional who focuses on IT concerns with an emphasis on risk management, security, and governance of information systems.
Keep in mind that getting more certifications can reflect on your income. If you stay at a basic level you won't get as many opportunities as you would if you become certified in different areas. Sometimes having a degree is not enough.
Have you ever wondered what are the advantages of managing your accounting when self-employed?
The platform that connects tutors and students