I begin by learning where the student is at that moment in time. I also like to give a brief evaluation; both a conversation and some questions so I can see their work. Lessons including reading assignments, questions and other problem sets. I believe good work should be rewarded and work less becoming should be shown why and how to improve.
I have been tutoring others since I was in high school but started seriously in College. I have gave lessons to over twenty students. My students who came to their lessons and did required work did very well. I took many classes in many different subjects. Though my BS is in Biology I also took a lot of Biology, Anthropology, Social Study courses, Psychology and many other courses that I did very well in.
Please provide 12-24 hours notice of need to cancel a session so we can reschedule. For further distances the rate may have to be increased. Tutoring location can be negotiated.
BS in Biology, Microbiology Concentration
East Carolina University - Greenville, NC
August 2008 to January 2013
Bessemer City High School - Bessemer City, NC
August 2003 to August 2007
High School Diploma
Magna cum laude
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant - East Carolina University
- Assisted in BIOL 1001 (Intro Biology for Biology Major Students) and 1002 (Prokaryotes and Zoology).
- In BIOL 1100/1200 I went to the classes, took notes, helped proctor exams, helped make exams and quiz's. Graded Exams, Quiz's, assignments and took attendance. I also held weekly study sessions where we went over what we had covered in the last week, took questions about the material, helped students understand the material by trying different ways to help them understand. Also, when the professor was absent I stood in for her and followed her Syllabus but produced my own PowerPoints while keeping my duties of grading and weekly sessions. For two weeks while she was out I taught two sections of her course.
- Taught BIOL 1201 (Prokaryotes, Plants and Zoology) Lab
- Created Lesson Plans for Labs. We went from the study of Prokaryotes to Humans. Studying the behaviors of the all organisms, how all organisms change through time, the Structures and Physiology, gave daily quiz's on that weeks Lab (they had assignments and reading material to complete to better do the lab before the lab was started), we completed the lab and I helped as needed, I assisted with their lab notebooks and how if they did them properly it would help them study and understand the material.
- Taught 2251 (Ecology Lab)
- Basically taught this lab the same way. The only difference was the subject matter. We focused a great deal on Flora of Eastern North Carolina. Mostly going on trips to get organisms to study or study the organisms there. A great example is a Weekend trip we took to the coast to catch young sharks and tag them so we could study their movements through the semester. We went to swamps, rivers, creeks and even the campus to study Ecology over all these different areas. During the class their were quiz's prior to each Lab, Exams, Midterm and a Department Final Exam that all sections to ensure all students understood the material and the students had to study all the course material in order to do . This way the professor in charge of Ecology ensured that all required material was taught and ensured the Teaching Assistants produced proficient students since Ecology was one of the core requirements of the Biology Degree.
On all Classes I was occasionally supervised. For example a random professor was selected to sit in the course. He/She gave me constructive pointers while telling me what I was doing well also. He/She looked at assignments, quiz's and exams to make sure they were to the courses standards.
I also tutored students privately in college including Biology Courses (General Biology, Ecology, Genetics, Microbiology, Evolution and other Biology courses as requested. I also tutored in some Biology centered Anthropology courses, History Courses (American History and European History), some Math and English.
I also tutored younger students from Elementary Students up to High School. I was very good at looking up State Curriculum's in order to teach the right material. I instructed AP courses very well as well. I took them in High School so it comes very natural to me. I know the way the College Board very well with respect to the AP exams. I know the Curriculum very well and how to ensure to instruct based off the Curriculum. Also it is very important to understand the changing aspects of the test. I believe in a practical approach to teaching the material, helping the student understand the textbooks, help with their teacher assignments but also test prep. Including writing. The essay portions are very important and why we have to make sure we go over all of the curriculum as the essay questions can be anything in the subject.
Jacob Holm Industries - Asheville, NC
Microbiologist/ Quality Control
February 2015 to March 2018
Microbiologist controlling the testing of finished product, raw material, returned product and all
environmental testing such as air testing and surface testing for Microbiological safety. Reducing
testing redundancy and failures over the past three years have also been goals that were successful.
As well as Microbiological duties I also was in charge of departmental expense accounts, purchasing,
biding on venders, continuous improvement, Lean e in Quality, cutting cost down by
20%, Pest Control Management, As for my other duties I was in charge of all calibrations plant wide, I completed all purchases and chose the most economic and quality driven choices. Improvements, Vender and Supplier Complaints and expected repayment were all in my domain as well. I also managed Document Control and wrote all SOPs for Microbiology.
Food Lion - Multiple Locations
Customer Service Manager / Trainer
2006 to 2014
Customer Service Manager and Manager on Duty when needed for business. When I transferred to corporate I began training associates on new technology, revised and wrote new SOPs. Worked at various stores training and auditing. Customer Service was the largest issue I had to handle. Training and instructing were a key aspect. We learned new ways to do things and then had to teach them to thousands of associates.
Minitab, Microsoft Office Suite, Biology, Microbiological knowledge both theory and practical, Quality Control/Management, Training, Tutoring/Instructing, Supervisory Skills, Six-Sigma, 5S, Lean manufacturing,
Aseptic, Sterility, Monitoring and Staining. Stability Testing and Life Span Testing of Non-Woven products (such as a flushable wipe) were tested.
Tutoring Online and One-on-One. Skype can be used to both talk to the student and present PowerPoints or other items to instruct. One-on-One would be at a public location such as a book store, library, coffee shop or other arrangement as requested.
history lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest psychology lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, general knowledge lessons for all!
Taking current events lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$20||$20|