I tailor my approach to the needs and achievement level of each student. I believe a friendly and happy relationship between student and tutor are essential to successful learning. I am patient and creative in my teaching; I like to devise unique activities that will keep my students engaged and excited about the lessons.
I have taught elementary, high school, and college students in the U.S., Middle East, Asia, and Africa. My experience spans over 40 years of classroom and individual instruction. I specialize in writing and speaking English, but I also have many years teaching elementary skills in math and science.
• 1972. Philosophy. International Academy for Continuous Education, Gloucestershire, England
• 1976. BA, Clark University, Worcester, MA
• 2003. MA, Journalism, University of Colorado, Boulder
• Elementary /Middle School certification Colorado
• Ongoing professional development: University of Colorado and Naropa Institute, Boulder, CO
• 1980-1992. Claymont Children’s School, Charles Town, WV. K-5 Teacher and co-founder, Charles Town, WV; Also, K-5 French teacher at Country Day School of Jefferson County, WV
• 1994-2005. Boulder Country Day School, 4820 Nautilus Court N, Boulder, CO 80301. Grade 3 Teacher: Language Arts, Math, Science, Social Studies, Odyssey of the Mind
• 2005-2007. National School of Aleppo, Syria. Grade 3 Teacher: English Language Arts, Math, and Science for Syrian children
• 2007. Amideast. Alexandria, Egypt. English for adults
• 2007-2008. American School of Alexandria, Egypt. English Language Arts for Grades 9-11 Egyptian students, Economics for Grade 12 students. Student Council Advisor. Newsletter editor.
• 2008-2009 National Nanke International Experimental High School (NNKIEHS) Tainan, Taiwan. Homeroom teacher Grade 4. Language arts and social studies for Grades 3-5. Grade 10 U.S. History and Journalism. Model United Nations advisor. Student newspaper, Nanke Times, advisor.
• 2009-2010. NNKIEHS. Tainan, Taiwan. Homeroom teacher Grades 10 and 11. Grades 4 and 5 Social Studies. High School Creative Writing and French I. Grade 11 British Literature and Language Arts. Advisor for the student newspaper, The Nanke Times. Model United Nations, advisor. Student Counsel, advisor
• 2010-2011. Wellspring Learning Community. Beirut, Lebanon. Homeroom/Inquiry teacher (LA and SS) Grade 4 PYP. Library Committee
• 2011-2013. NNKIEH. Tainan, Taiwan. Language Arts and Social Studies for grades 4 and 6. High School French. High School Creative Writing. High School Journalism. Advisor for The Nanke Times, student newspaper. Advisor to the Student Counsel.
• 2013-2014. Tripoli International School. Libya. English program teacher for grades 4-6 (90 students). British curriculum
• 2014-2015. American School of Tampico. Mexico. Middle School English
• Spring 2015. Boulder Country Day School. After-school program and substitute teaching.
• 2015-2016. University of Bhutan. Taktse, Bhutan. College level English Literature and Technical Writing. Organized Model United Nations Club.
• 2016-2017. Tashkent Ulugbek International School. Tashkent, Uzbekistan. Grade 2 Science, Math, English, Secondary Level ESL.
• 2017-2018. Tashkent Ulugbek International School. Tashkent, Uzbekistan. Grade 3 Science, Math, English, Secondary Level ESL
• Fall 2018-Spring 2019.
o Aurora Community College. Writing tutor to ESL students.
o CESL (Volunteer). English language tutoring for refugee women.
• Summers 2001,2002. Reporter: The Park County Flume, Bailey, CO, and Denver Post City Desk
• July 2003-2005. KGNU radio, Boulder, CO. Reporting and production of local news and international topics; interviews and discussion
• Freelance writing for The Daily Camera, Boulder and for the Coloradoan (alumni magazine for the University of Colorado)
2001 Award of Merit for Outstanding Achievement by the Faculty of the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, University of Colorado
2002 Kappa Tau Alpha (Journalism)
2009 Outstanding Teacher Award. NNKIEHS, Taiwan
arithmetic lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|