As a tutor I am not a teacher, I am a coach. I coach my students through various topics using prepared practice worksheets, hands-on activities, and by asking leading questions to help guide them through each problem; allowing them to make mistakes, learn from the mistakes, and eventually guide me through the problems.
I create a supportive and comfortable environment by emphasizing the importance of mistakes and communicating my personal troubles and triumphs with the topic, as well as my personal experience as the student being tutored.
I make sure to get to know each student by asking them about their interests, what areas they struggle in, what areas they do well in, and what kind of learning styles and tactics (hands-on, visual, auditory, repetition, whiteboard work, etc.) they feel helps them best understand the material. I then use this information to create a personalized learning session/lesson plan and make sure to include their interests in the context of the material so they can relate the material to real-world examples that they understand well and are interested in.
I am a recent physics graduate from Ithaca College looking to help both high school and college students with their studies in STEM. I became certified as a college STEM tutor in the fall of 2017 and have been providing both private and group lessons ever since.
I do have a sliding rate depending on the distance of travel and the specific needs of the student. I am also more than willing to compromise on my hourly rate for students with extenuating circumstances.
- BS in physics from the Department of Physics and Astronomy at Ithaca College.
- Minor in Philosophy and Religious Studies from the Department of Philosophy and Religion at Ithaca College
- To work for an organization that provides me the opportunity to improve my skills and knowledge to grow along with the organization objective.
- Programming: Swift(Proficient), Python(proficient), Latex(proficient), MatLab(proficient), HTML(proficient), CSS(proficient)
- Software & Tools: Xcode9, Unity, GPR-Slice, Artec Studio, Leica Cyclone
- Hardware: GSSI SIR-3000 Ground-penetrating Radar with 270 MHz, 400 MHz, and 900 MHz antennas, Leica TPS1100 Total Station, Leica C-10 3D Laser Scanner, Leica P-40 3D Laser Scanner, Artec Eva 3D Scanner, Artec Spider 3D Scanner
Work Experiences (related to STEM):
- College Physics, Math and Computer Science Tutor
~ Coaching college students of various levels to help them reach their full potential within STEM courses.
~ Hosting and conducting group sessions, Physics PLuG sessions, Study groups, and one-on-one sessions.
~ Creating practice material and mock exams.
~ Adapting to the needs of individual students.
~ Creating a professional and comfortable environment.
- Paid Summer Scholar Researcher/Intern at Ithaca College's Department of Physics and Astronomy
~ Historical Augmented Reality App Design and Development (Continued and finished as Senior Thesis)
~ Laser Scanning and Data Processing of Fort Stanwix National Monument's Original Hearth in Rome, NY using both the Artec Eva and Artec Spider.
~ Archaeological Geophysics of Rose Hill Mansion's Landscape in Geneva, NY using Ground Penetrating Radar.
~ 3D Laser Scan of the grounds and living space of the Rose Hill Mansion
~ Assisted in 3D Laser Scan of large Rocks for sculpting purposes.
~ Assisted in 3D Laser Scan, 3D printing, and recreation of 100 Aviation Badges for the celebratory take-off of a restored WWI plane.
- Creation and Development of App Used For Historical Preservation Through Augmented Reality
~ The project aims at designing and developing an interactive iOS augmented reality app that allows others to explore virtual recreations of Historical sites and artifacts, including those that no longer exist in the present day.
- Virtual 3D recreation of The Historical Hearth at Fort Stanwix
~ Laser Scanning and Data Processing of Fort Stanwix National Monument's Original Hearth in Rome, NY using both the Artec Eva and Artec Spider. Virtual 3D recreation of the hearth using this data.
- Surveying and 3D laser Scanning of Rose Hill Mansion
~ Helped discover and recreate historical architectural landscaping for the Rose Hill Mansion in Geneva, NY; using GSSI SIR-3000 Ground-penetrating Radar, Leica TPS1100 Total Station, Leica C-10 3D Laser Scanner, and Leica P-40 3D Laser Scanner.
Extra-Curriculars Throughout College:
- Treasurer of Astronomy Club
- Member of SPS
- H&S Summer Scholar
- President of Pulse Hip Hop group
- Member of Unbound Dance Co.
- Hospitality Labor as bartender
- Highly motivated and eager to learn new things.
- Strong motivational and leadership skills.
- Ability to work as an individual as well as in a group.
- Strong Problem solving and creative thinking skills
- Politely outspoken
- Highly organized and Self-reflective
Alexis is very smart & bright individual also,very talented. Alexis in school was a role model with the other kids. Always willing to help. Alexis was on the honor role. Alexis is pleasant & has patiences.
Alexis reads alot & has knowledge. I know Alexis from my daughter's school Alexis is a amazing person and I would recommend Alexis to teach her major to people.
Alexis is trustworthy & caring individual.
Alexis makes a great teacher, Listens & explains clearly.Great teacher.....
mathematics lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest physics lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, logic lessons for all!
Taking precalculus & calculus lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|