I hold a BS in English and MA in English: Business and Technical Communications. Having "suffered" through 3 years of engineering, and tutored those difficult subjects in college, I decided to change majors to English. I have worked as a professional writer/editor as well, so I know how to relate writing assignments to the "real" world to show students how writing really does have an impact on their lives.
I have been an educator for over twenty years, so I have had more students than I can count! It isn't unusual for me to meet a former student in the store and be greeted by a hug. I meet my students where they are at in the classroom and then tailor their lessons for where they need to be at the end of the lesson, unit, or semester. When the lessons need to be adjusted to achieve the desired outcomes, they are adjusted; and of course I make necessary adjustments in my delivery methods/teaching style as I need to make them.
Business Analyst/Technical Writer 6/2015 – 10/2016
Pomeroy IT Solutions
• Plan and oversee the development and writing process for Advance Planning Documents (federal grants) pertinent to the functioning of Medicaid IT Enterprise Systems in Kentucky.
• Answered RIAs and RFIs associated with APDs.
• Edit and write RFPs for executive management.
• Created RFP Review Process for KY Medicaid IT Systems.
• Develop, write, and submit correspondence for executive management to submit to the federal level.
• Research current topics and long range planning topics in Medicaid Health Management and Health Information Technology.
• Facilitate discussions with stakeholders from the grassroots level to the federal level via conference calls, touch point meetings, and SharePoint/OneDrive sharing of resources.
Pearson Publishing, Col. Roy Berwick, Stickle Salvage, IBM, Federal Bureau of Prisons 1993 – Present
• Designed innovative help text and Internet sites
• Accessed customer's needs, planned workload, initiated recommendations for future writing project direction using MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access) through client requirement gathering.
• Improved or Initiated work order applications, user manuals, school calendars, flyers, brochures
• Wrote, organized, and presented trainings and workshops
• Accessed student workloads, developed study plans, addressed study skills/time management, and provided tutoring in English, Reading, and Writing Subject Matter Expert English (SME).
• Reviewed textbooks and online course materials for accuracy and missing course content. Then, suggested areas for improvement and add new examples to existing texts. Areas of expertise: online education, course development, writing, and MLA documentation
• Wrote and edited: grants, personal book manuscripts, resumes, and cover letters
Adjunct Professor- ITT Tech, BCTC, RCTC, University of Minnesota 1992 – 2015
• Designed innovative online, hybrid, and in-person courses for the following: Freshman Composition 1 and 2, Critical Thinking, Writing about Literature, Business Writing, Technical Report Writing, Business Communication, Public Speaking, Gender Issues in Management, and Business/Medical Assistant Writing.
• Pedagogy focused on developing student led “real world” writing projects. Course outcomes were primarily to see competent adult writers who could see the relevance of written communication in day-to-day living.
• Student focused advising on majors, academic issues, career/educational goals, coordinated with Financial Aid, Career Services, and Disability Support Services to provide proactive services for students.
• Conducted faculty training on Mycomplab, a Pearson product.
Forest Hill Military Academy and Lexington Christian Academy . 8/2012 – 5/2014
• Developed innovative courses for 6th through 12th grade regular/honors English classes.
• Integrated student success matrices into weekly curriculum.
• Proactive academic and behavioral counseling/remediation used when needed.
• Focused on integrating technology into writing and reading with many assignments done and submitted via laptops.
• Set up Wiki on Google for transparent course and parent communications.
• Initiated and facilitated the development of a student written newsletter, updated the school Facebook page.
• Accessed the damage to the old library and disposed of over 500 mold-damaged books, then solicited the donation of 1000+ books for the start of the new library from area public libraries and private donors.
• Trained faculty, administrators, and students on the use of courseware on the school’s laptops.
Project Director CommunityNet A United Way Agency Rochester, MN
• Coordinated the collaborative efforts of numerous volunteers and agencies to establish a database that lists information and services for Olmsted, Dodge, and Fillmore counties.
• Established schedules for a deliverable product, de veloped budgets, established marketing plans, developed funding, wrote and administered grants, wrote measurement and evaluation criteria for the First Call for Help service and the CommunityNet application.
• Designed the user interface requirements for the CommunityNet database application, wrote a User’s Guide for the software, and trained users on the application.
Information Developer IBM Rochester, MN
• Developed source, wrote, and tested AS/400 SQL Programmer's Guide, AS/400 SQL Reference Guide, SQL/400 Query Manager, online help, hypertext, and index search.
• Functioned as a team leader for four writers and developed source, wrote, and tested AS/400 PC Support online help and hypertext.
• Authored articles for the IBM AS/400 Technology Journal, System 3X Journal, and two brochures for senior IBM management that described the features and peripherals for the AS/400.
• Edited two annual IP/IS International Quality Award applications; AS/400 PC Support online help and hypertext; SQL/400 Query Manager User's Guide, Reference Guide, and online help.
• Developed and trained Level 2 (Customer Service) groups for the IBM Rochester site and IBM Corporate writing classes within the IBM Intermediate Writing Skills series.
Education and Training
Iowa State University 1988 Ames, IA
MA English: Concentration in Business and Technical Communication
BS English / Computer Engineering Curriculum 1986 Ames, IA
Biomedical Engineering Curriculum
Professional Certifications and Affiliations
• KY Provisional Teaching Certificate for Career College Professionals # (concealed information) English, AP English Grades 5- 12
• Iowa Test of Basic Skills, Tests of Achievements and Proficiency, and Iowa Cog/At Test Administrator
• Stanford Achievement Tests and Otis-Lenon School Ability Administrator Certification
• CPR and First Aid
• New Horizons – KCTCS State Session Presenter
• Served on statewide KCTCS Emerging Technology Committee
• KOILS/Kentucky Online Information Systems BCTC Representative
• Pearson book publisher English Faculty Advisor
• Member of Faculty Advisory team for Opportunity Middle College (BCTC) Dual Enrollment Program
• State Special Olympics Equestrian Program Development Member
• Volunteer at Special Olympics Equestrian Venue
• Volunteer at Central Kentucky Riding for Hope (CKRH)
• North Lexington YMCA Volunteer of the Year
• YMCA Executive Branch Board of Directors
academic english lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest reading lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, Academic tutoring for all!
Taking creative writing lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|