I received a Bachelor's of Science degree in Chemistry this past spring. I like to understand first what concepts the students I work with can grasp and build upon that prior knowledge. My lessons are needs based and I like to fill in any gaps of knowledge that are present. I lead students along with questions to utilize their critical thinking skills needed to tackle multi-step problems that are so typical in Chemistry.
I am a Chemist who has been giving lessons for over a year. I have worked with college and high school level students who performed remarkably in their classes. One senior high school student in particular that I worked with had a 30% in his high school chemistry course when we began. This student needed a passing grade to graduate and by the end of our time together, he was able to bring his grade up to a B. I have experience working with both students that require extra effort and that are academically proficient.
Summary of Qualifications
• BS degree in Chemistry with ACS Certification (Graduation Date: 25 May 2018).
• Five years of formal college education developing problem solving and critical thinking skills with an equivalent amount of time spent learning industrially useful techniques in an academic laboratory.
• Experience using analytical instrumentation such as UV-Vis, FTIR, NMR, HPLC, MS, GC, Fluorometer, Cyclic Voltammeter, and Calorimeter.
• In depth knowledge of wet chemistry techniques such as titrations, color testing, viscosity, pH, Thin Layer Chromatography, conductivity, and chemical identification testing.
• Well versed in Macintosh and Microsoft operating systems as well as Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.
• Experience documenting in laboratory safety information system and electronic notebooks.
Chemistry Stockroom Student Assistant (Jan 2017- May 2018) California State University, Stanislaus, Turlock CA
• Received hazardous materials and stored them according to MSDS instructions. These materials were then delivered for laboratory use in appropriate amounts to minimize exposure.
• Maintained an up to date inventory for all hazardous materials and track amounts in the stockroom.
• Performed routine safety checks in classroom and research laboratories to identify any possible risks/hazards present and verify that eye wash stations and fume hoods were in good functioning order.
• Created a digital SDS database as well as a hard copy reference for all hazardous materials in labs.
• Assured that safe laboratory practices are being employed throughout the department.
• Responsible for various tasks relating to solution preparation for lab work, preparing unknown chemical samples analyzed by students, gathering materials for labs, and restocking the stockroom inventory.
Supplemental Instruction Leader (Jan 2018- May 2018) California State University, Stanislaus, Turlock CA
• Working alongside chemistry department faculty, I lead three sessions a week that allow students in a General Chemistry I course to practice problem solving skills and discuss material covered in lectures.
Organic Chemistry Research Assistant (2016) California State University, Stanislaus, Turlock CA
• I researched and created computer based homework problems for a professor of an Organic Chemistry I course. I then incorporated these problems into an online testing program for students to enhance what they had learned in lectures.
Private Chemistry Tutor (2016) Turlock CA
• I held private tutor sessions with a high school student for his General Chemistry level coursework.
• General Chemistry I and II with lab, Organic Chemistry I and II with lab, Quantitative Analysis/ Basic Instrument Techniques with lab, Biochemistry I, Computer Methods in Chemistry, Physical Chemistry I and II with lab, Instrumental Analysis with lab, Advanced Inorganic Chemistry, Advanced Chemistry Lab.
• General Physics I and II, Calculus I and II, Multivariate Calculus, Introduction to Differential Equations, Computer Programming I.
• B.S. in Chemistry at California State University, Stanislaus (May 2018).
• A.S. in University Prep: Chemistry, Modesto Junior College (May 2015). Graduated with Honors.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|