My teaching style focuses on critical thinking skills and understanding all the concepts involved with a given concept. I strongly discourage trying to memorize information and instead stress the importance of a solid grasp of all the fundamentals of chemistry and how they relate to each topic.
I am a college professor with a PhD in Organic Chemistry. I have experience teaching General, Organic, and Analytical Chemistry at the high school, undergraduate, and graduate levels.
I have 6 years private tutoring experience and 8 years teaching experience. I have experience teaching small groups (1-3 students), small classes (15-30 students) and large lectures (50+ students).
Travel Costs vary by distance and time of day depending on commute times and require sessions to be paid in advance after the first session.
24 hour notice required for all cancellations.
• Organic chemist with strong background in difficult syntheses.
• Experience running reactions from over hundred gram quantities down to milligram scale.
• Production and processing of liquid crystals for use in real world applications.
• Fabrication and characterization of polymer membranes.
• Hands on experience with a full range of instrumentation for characterizing organic molecules,
liquid crystals, and polymer materials.
• Extensive work mentoring many undergraduate and high school students who have gone on to
advanced education, internships, and promising career opportunities.
Ph.D., Chemistry, University of Nevada, Reno, Reno NV 2016
• Advisor: Benjamin King
• Thesis: Annelated Benzenoid Macrocycles and Polymerizable Discotic Liquid Crystals.
B.S., Chemistry, University of West Florida, Pensacola, FL 2010
• Advisors: Michael Huggins and Alan Schrock
• Research Focus: Synthesis and characterization of polyurethanes based on levulinic acid
derivatives in collaboration with Segetis, Inc (Golden Valley, MN).
The Quarry Lane School – Summer School Teacher 2019
University of West Florida – Visiting Assistant Professor 2017-2019
University of Nevada, Reno – Teaching Assistant 2011-2016
University of West Florida – Teaching Assistant 2009-2011
LeMay Summer Fellowship (University of Nevada, Reno) 2012
B. Kumar, R. L. Viboh, M. C. Bonifacio, W. B. Thompson, J. C. Buttrick, B. C. Westlake, M. Kim, R.
W. Zoellner, S. A. Varganov, P. Mörschel, J. Teteruk, M. U. Schmidt and B. T. King, Septulene: The
Heptagonal Homologue of Kekulene, Angew. Chem., Int. Ed., 2012, 51, 12795.
J. C. Buttrick and B. T. King, Kekulenes, cycloarenes, and heterocycloarenes: addressing electronic
structure and aromaticity through experiments and calculations. Chem. Soc. Rev., 2017, 46, 7.
M. T. Huggins, T. Kesharwani, J. Buttrick, C. Nicholson, A Variable Temperature NMR Experiment
Studying Restricted Bond Rotation, J. Chem. Ed., 2019, Submitted for Publication.
Organic Chemistry 1 & 2, Organic Chemistry 1 & 2 Lab, General Chemistry, General Chemistry 1 & 2
Lab, Advanced Lab Techniques, Organic Spectroscopy Lab, Analytical Chemistry Lab.
chemistry lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest organic chemistry lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, quantitative methods lessons for all!
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|