It's important to tailor every lesson to each student's goals. A student who would like to do well on the SAT is not the same as the student who wants editing assistance for a thesis or dissertation. As a tutor, I make sure to work with my students to help them reach the goals they've set for themselves.
With a Master's degree in English, I can assist with basic reading and writing skills, SAT and College-level prep, and thesis/dissertation editing. I have more than five years of in-classroom teaching experience, and my students have been successfully accepted to top-tier institutions following my classes.
Cancellation Policy: If you notify me AT LEAST 24 hours prior to our meeting, you will be refunded. However, if there is no notification, or notification after the 24 hour period there will not be a refund available.
Adjunct English Professor, English 101 and Accelerated Learning, Carroll Community College and Frederick Community College, September 2019-Present
• Provide classroom instruction to freshman and nontraditional college students in first-year English composition, with supplemental instruction in an accelerated learning environment.
• Produce, develop, and execute effective lesson plans to encourage students to think about writing and college education as it pertains to their chosen majors.
• Implement critical instruction in paper writing and development throughout the use of in-class activities and exercises.
Creative Arts Instructor, “How to Create Your Own Chapbook,” The Frederick Book Arts Center, January 2021-Present
• Instruct students 13+ on the basics of poetry, recipe compilation, and additional writing genres.
• Compile manuscript pages—teach students how to order their poems and stories; show them how to format pages in Microsoft Word to create a chapbook.
• Demonstrate chapbook hand-binding, including page perforation and a saddle stitch finish.
Summer Camp Lead, The Frederick YMCA, Summers, beginning in 2020
• Planned, distributed, and organized summer activities for both campers and counselors affiliated with the Head Start YMCA program.
• Supervised 6 camp counselors and 10 counselors-in-training, providing resources and activities in conjunction with community resources
• Scheduled all activities for over 20 children ages 4-6 and ensured those activities were safe, healthy, and educational.
Adjunct Professor, English 0920, 1010 and 1020, Pellissippi State Technical Community College, August 2017-December 2018
• Taught college students first-year English composition, with additional instruction to remedial students in 0920.
• Created, enhanced, and delivered lesson plans that encouraged students to think about writing throughout their careers.
• Offered instruction in paper writing and draft development by providing feedback on drafts and additional assignments.
Workshop Instructor, “Form in Fiction: How to Use Form to Your Advantage” September 2017
• Guided ten students in the use of form in the short story with examples from Caitlin Horrocks’ “It Looks Like This,” Jennifer Egan’s “Great Rock and Roll Pauses,” and Kristin Valdez Quade’s “Christina the Astonishing.”
• Provided critical feedback on initial drafts of each student’s work.
• Allowed students to provide feedback on one another’s work in a comfortable and safe environment.
Teaching Assistant, English 170, Eastern Washington University, September 2016-June 2017
• Offered classroom and online instruction to freshman and first-year college students in literary education.
• Created and applied applicable lesson plans to encourage students to think about literature in a new and unique light.
• Presented important lessons in paper writing and development throughout the use of in-class and online writing workshops.
English Tutor, Keene State College, September 2007-December 2007
• Supplemented classroom instruction and education to college students who were struggling to pass their English courses by creating individual education plans with each tutee.
• Developed and executed effective student-based learning plans to encourage students to think about classroom materials in a unique manner.
• Offered help and instruction in paper writing and development by creating my own tutoring materials, activities, and exercises.
MFA in Creative Writing: Fiction
Eastern Washington University, Spokane, WA, 2017
BA in English, Writing Concentration
University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN, 2010
Short Works in Journals
“Nine Boxes” The Maryland Literary Review May 2019
“15th & K” Grub Street Literary Magazine April 2017
“Thanksgiving in Connecticut” The Fem: A Feminist Literary Magazine May 2015
“One Small Part” Welter Literary Magazine December 2014
“Running Was in His Genes” Connotation Press November 2014
“The Sulphur Sink” The Blue Lyra Review October 2014
“The Woodpecker” Groundrush Arts Literary Journal September 2014
“Bringing Back the Boys” The East Coast Literary Review June 2014
Data Entry Professional, Wonder Book and Video, February 2019-August 2019
• Assessed conditions of books as objects.
• Prepared books for selection by customers on website and at the store.
• Completed self-assessment of work on a daily basis to ensure remained error-free.
Associate Fiction Editor, Doubleback Review, December 2018-Present
• Choose short stories for publication while working closely with the Fiction Editor.
• Assist Fiction Editor with editing process, from selection to publication.
• Support Managing Editor in social media efforts and other duties.
Director of Film, Sundress Academy for the Arts, August 2018-August 2019
• Created video and digital content and workshops for aspiring filmmakers.
• From the ground-up, created, implemented, initiated and hosted Sundress Academy for the Arts Film Contest and Screenwriting Contest.
Staff Director, Sundress Academy for the Arts, May 2018-August 2018
• Managed a team of interns to complete Sundress Academy for the Arts work, including press releases and contracts.
• Facilitated contact between the Sundress Academy for the Arts and local media.
Writer-in-Residence, Firefly Farms, Sundress Academy for the Arts, August 2017-May 2018
• Day-to-day management of short-term residents and the farmhouse for an optimal living situation.
• Feeding, monitoring, and watching over farm animals, including a donkey, two cats, sheep, ducks, and chickens.
• Writing, editing and completing a manuscript of short stories.
Fiction Editor, Willow Springs Literary Magazine, September 2016-August 2017
• Chose short stories for publication in the magazine.
• Worked with writers to shape and edit drafts of their stories to be published.
• Copyedited and typeset with a team of dedicated editors and staff members and promoted the magazine through various marketing methods.
Communications and Marketing Coordinator, MVLE August 2014-May 2015
• Supported the strategic and tactical execution of MVLE’s communication goals by managing digital marketing and communications outreach to engage stakeholders and share the mission with a broader community.
• Specialized in writing press releases, social media content, and creating online videos.
Public Relations Specialist, Operation Homefront, via AmeriCorps August 2013-August 2014
• Interviewed clients, service members and their families to write short biographies for submission to third party and internal sources.
• Contributed to social media efforts through internal resource upkeep and on-the-ground coverage of Operation Homefront events.
Craft-Talk Presenter, “Crafting the Setting in Nontraditional Narratives,” The Bay to Ocean Writer’s Conference, March 2021
Panel Presenter, “Using Pop Culture to Teach Essay Writing,” AFACCT 31st Annual Conference January 2021
Workshop Leader, SAFTA Workshop Series, September 2018
Gordon Fellow, Scholarship Recipient, July 2016
Scholarship Recipient, Port Townsend Writers’ Conference, Port Townsend, WA, July 2016
Scholarship Recipient, Napa Valley Writers’ Conference, Helena, CA, July 2015
Scholarship Recipient, Ocean State Writers Conference, University of Rhode Island, June 2014
Featured Reader, SAFTA Reading Series, April 2017
Reader, Best of the Net Anthology, January 2014, 2015, 2020
Featured Reading Engagement, Welter Literary Magazine Release Party, December 2014
Katherine is extremely skilled in both the art of writing and the art of teaching! She clearly cares about the success of her students and inspires them to lift their craft to the next level!
academic english lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest creative writing lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, essay writing lessons for all!
Taking english literature lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|