Hello! I'm Jessie! I am a recent graduate of Macaulay Honors College at Hunter College, the honors program for CUNY. I earned a Bachelor of Arts degree double majoring in Biochemistry and Music on a Pre-medical track. I graduated Cum Laude with departmental honors in Biochemistry and a departmental award for academic achievement in Music. I will also be attending medical school in the Fall.
As a tutor, I want my students to achieve their highest potential. I feel as though I am personable and fun to work with, so that my students have a mindset of wanting to do the work. I also am passionate about what I teach because mathematics and chemistry are by far, my favorite subjects.
Especially with mathematics and chemistry, it is all about practice. I like to communicate with the students prior to the lesson, so I know what they want to work on in advance and prepare problems and study sheets depending on the subject.
I have been tutoring for 6 years in my spare time. I have tutored 8 students in the 6 years I have been teaching. My first student was studying to take the SHSAT exam and she specifically needed help on the math section. As a result, she gained admission into the Bronx High School of Science. I also tutored her in SAT Math in order for her to gain admission to the CTY program at Johns Hopkins, which she did as well.
Another one of my students was failing chemistry and through tutoring and looking at chemistry from a different perspective he ended up getting some of the highest scores in his class!
I also have helped two students with their college applications (Common Application Essay and Supplemental Essays) and both gained admission into their top choices.
Typically for test prep such as for the ACT, SAT, or SHSAT, I will charge the 75 but for regular school subjects such as mathematics and chemistry the rate will be lower.
Macaulay Honors College at Hunter College
Bachelor of Arts, Cum Laude, Biochemistry & Music June 2015
Study Abroad: Université de Technologie de Compiègne, Compiègne, France, Summer 2013
NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine
Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine, Class of 2021
HONORS & AWARDS
University Scholar: Full Merit Scholarship to Macaulay Honors College (4 years)
Departmental Award for Academic Achievement in Music
Departmental Honors in Biochemistry
AP Scholar with Honor
Private Tutor, Freelance, New York, September 2011 – Present
• Help students excel in school as well as gain admission to NYC Public Schools and college
• Tutor students in subjects such as chemistry and mathematics, and for tests such as ACT, SAT, SSAT, SHSAT
Medical Assistant, Upper West Side Dermatology, New York, August 2015 – Present
• Bring patients into rooms to prepare for visit and does chart notes on medical records system
• Sets up for biopsies, Mohs surgery, excisions, and other procedures
Research Assistant, Dr. Goss Biochemistry Laboratory Research, New York, June 2012 – June 2015
• Performed literature research on Poly-A-Binding Proteins (PABP) as part of a laboratory investigation into protein function in the human body and applications for drug development
• Perform experiments regarding the discovery of eIF4G-RNA binding complex
Clinical Research Assistant, NYP-Columbia Univeristy Medical Center, New York, August 2014 – May 2015
• Screen for studies in the Pediatric Emergency Department for prevention and treatment of illnesses in children
• Shadow attendings in the department, and participate in overnight shift
Volunteer, Jiangsu Provincial Hospital of Integrated Traditional and Western Medicine, Nanjing, China, June 2013
• Shadowed in endocrinology, pediatric, dermatology, endoscopy, anesthesiology, acupuncture, and EKG departments, working for a large, public, urban hospital serving the local population
• Performed EKG on patients and assisted in acupuncture procedure
Volunteer, New York Presbyterian-Weill Cornell Medical Center, New York, September 2013 – September 2014
• Assisted in rounds tending to the needs of patients and medical staff, handing out food and water to patients awaiting treatment, and talking to families
Performer, Musicians On Call, New York, January 2013 – Present
• Play piano and sing at the bedsides of New York City hospital patients in order to bring optimism and well-being into the hospital community
• Work primarily at St. Luke’s Roosevelt Hospital, Cornell Children’s Hospital, and Memorial Sloan Kettering
Member, Global Medical Brigades, New York, September 2012 – June 2015
• Assist in fundraising for medical supplies and medication for future brigades in South and Central America
• Participated in medical, dental, and public health brigade in Panama, Summer of 2013
Orientation Leader, Outward Bound: Macaulay Honors Class of 2016 Orientation, New York, August 2012
• Led incoming freshman through team building games with emphasis on community and cooperation
President, Hunter College: Golden Key International Honor Society, New York January 2013-September 2014
• Coordinated community service events such as Relay for Life and the Multiple Sclerosis Walk
SKILLS: Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Adobe Photoshop and InDesign, trained vocalist and pianist
LANGUAGES: Chinese (fully fluent), French (conversational)
mathematics lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest algebra lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, chemistry lessons for all!
Taking arithmetic lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$75||$75|
|5 hours||Not available||$325||$375|
|10 hours||Not available||$675||$750|