While I'm flexible, I mainly teach on specific mathematical topics to individual students or small groups, walking students through example problems to help them understand how to do the material themselves. My focus is on scaffolding: gradually helping students work more independently until they have a working grasp on the material they're trying to learn.
My name is David Thompson, and I hold Bachelor of Arts degrees in Mathematics and Educational Studies. I began tutoring mathematics at Thomas More University in the Spring of 2017, assisting students on a case-by-case, walk-in basis at the Math & Physics Tutoring Center. I continued working there until my graduation in May 2019. While I rarely got to see my students' performance in class or on tests, I often saw them begin to work more independently after several visits, and my work was praised by my students, my immediate superior, and the professors who worked alongside the Center. I also worked as a teaching assistant in the 2019 Spring Semester, and was praised by the professor I worked with for my work helping students with classwork, which was almost identical to my tutoring responsibilities.
PERSONAL TUTOR | KARL AND ROBIN FRY | JUNE 2016 AND JULY 2016
• Assisted the student in applying middle school mathematical formulas to unfamiliar situations.
• Constructed informational sheets in Microsoft Word to assist in memorization of mathematical processes.
TUTOR | THOMAS MORE UNIVERSITY | JANUARY 2017 TO MAY 2019
• Assisted other college students in understanding and completing homework in calculus, geometry, statistical analysis, and algebra at Thomas More University.
Thomas More University | Crestview Hills, KY Graduation Date: May, 2019
Weighted GPA: 3.899
Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics
• On March 30th, 2019, for the purposes of this degree, I presented independent research on the classification of finite-dimensional group actions on the real numbers at a conference of the Mathematical Association of America.
Bachelor of Arts in Educational Studies
• From January 2019 to May 2019, for the purposes of this degree, I served as a teaching assistant to Dr. Jyoti Saraswat. Responsibilities included assisting students with classwork, grading assignments, developing rubrics, and creating instructional materials.
Received awards from Thomas More University for Outstanding Student in Education and Outstanding Student in Mathematics
mathematics lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest algebra lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, trigonometry lessons for all!
Taking geometry lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$13||$13|