I give lessons to students ages 5-12. My teaching method is very interactive, visual, and hands-on. I want to make my classes as engaging as possible, so I use props, flashcards, colorful charts, and other visual tools. When I am teaching art, I usually like to start with a mini-lesson about an artist or historical movement in art. Then, I will show models of the artwork we will be working on before the students do it themselves. I will guide the students as they create, ask questions, and give constructive feedback, without inhibiting their creativity or thinking process. There needs to be a balance between structure and play, so that creativity can flourish.
I have been teaching and privately tutoring for over 8 years. I have taught classes as small as two students and as large as 40. I teach all subjects, but my specialty is visual arts (painting, drawing, illustration, and mixed media.) I have improved my students' grades by up to three letter grades! My most recent student started with a C in English before tutoring, and ended up with an A by the end of the year. I have a bachelors degree in Fine Art, a masters in Teaching, and a multiple subject teaching credential for grades K-12.
For each lesson, I will provide free art materials, such as paintbrushes, markers, colored pencils, crayons, and paper. If you need to cancel a class, you must do so at least 24 hours before class, or you will not be refunded.
• Communication Skills
• Adobe Illustrator
• Adobe Photoshop
• Time Management Skills
• Teaching painting, drawing, mixed media, pastel, etc.
4TH GRADE GENERAL EDUCATION TEACHER • WORNICK JEWISH DAY SCHOOL • AUGUST 2019-JUNE 2020
• Created curriculum in all subjects for class of sixteen 4th grade students.
• Met with parents and colleagues; maintained discipline in the classroom; methodically provided resources for lessons; simplified lesson plans in line with curriculum objectives.
• Assessed and looked after sixteen students’ progress throughout the term and worked closely with other staff to efficiently plan and coordinate work.
• Integrated visual arts projects and presentations into the class curriculum
LEAD ART TEACHER • KIDSMART ACADEMY • NOVEMBER 2018-JUNE 2019
• Planned and led weekly art lessons for children K-5th grade, involving a variety of mediums such as collage, painting, and drawing.
• Met with staff and parents to discuss progress and goals of students.
• Directed and wrote songs for annual final dancing/singing performance for 50 students.
TEACHER ASSISTANT + ART PROGRAM COORDINATOR • ORANGE COUNTY ACADEMY OF SCIENCES AND ARTS • AUG. 2017-JUN. 2018
• Designed and taught STEAM lesson plans every week.
• Taught art lessons twice a week to three classes grades K-2.
• Established and managed visual arts program and art center.
• Facilitated classroom of 30 third graders.
• Directed end of the year third grade play “Alice in Wonderland.”
TEACHER ASSISTANT • VISTA VERDE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL • JAN. 2017-JUN. 2017
• Developed lesson plans and curriculum for 30 third graders, including classroom work, class instruction, tests and quizzes.
• Collaborated with third grade class on creating main library mural.
• Designed and created backdrops for middle school theatre students.
SFAI YOUTH ARTS COORDINATOR + MENTOR• SAN FRANCISCO ART INSTITUTE • MAY. 2014-JUL. 2014
• Developed and taught art classes for young artists ages 12-18.
• Led art workshops each week, including drawing, painting, and pastel.
• Designed and implemented visual arts curriculum for youth program.
• Mentored young artists one-on-one with their art practices.
Masters in Arts, Teaching • Multiple Subject Credential • Chapman University • Jan. 2016- Aug. 2017
Bachelors in Fine Arts, Painting • San Francisco Art Institute • Aug. 2013-Dec. 2014
Perfect! My six years old daughter loved her class. She is so patient, kind and engaging. She asks engaging questions to keep my kid involved. Highly recommend to anyone. Thank you Ms Gabi!!
Lucy was such a joy to work with! She was very thoughtful with her creative decisions, and stayed focused for most of the time. Although there were a few times during the lesson she got distracted and would become talkative, it was very easy to get her back on track. I would love to work with Lucy in the future! :)
Gabi connected so well with our son. I think that listening and understanding a students perspective is the first vital step in truly meaningful instruction! She excels at it and we would and will use her again!
Gabi worked as an instructional assistant in my classroom at a local elementary charter school. She has a passion for art and is very creative. She knows how to break difficult skills down into manageable chunks to make them more accessible to students. Gabi will be a fantastic painting teacher for your child!
Wow! I cannot say enough positive things about Gabi. I heard about her through my neighbor, who highly recommended her to me. Gabi has been privately teaching painting to my 8 year old son for the past 2 1/2 years. She gave him a strong foundation of painting techniques, that he was able to grasp quickly through positive reinforcement and interesting lessons. Last week, my son accidentally spilled some paint on the floor. Instead of getting angry, Gabi stayed calm and collected, and made sure my son didn't feel bad about it. They actually had a lot of fun cleaning! Gabi always has a smile on her face, and such a positive attitude! This has spread to my son, and he is always excited for his art lessons. She makes him feel comfortable and at peace, but also motivated and inspired to learn and focus. If you want an art teacher who is engaging, professional, and great at what she does, choose Gabi. You won't be sorry!
I was recommended Gabi as an art tutor from a couple I am friends with in the bay area. Gabi teaches art to my two sons separately- ages 6 and 12. She brings a wide variety of art materials to every lesson. She always has a clear focus and objective for each lesson, while still allowing the boys to express themselves freely and creatively. Gabi has done the most fantastic projects with them, such as dragon and Pokemon paintings, still life drawings, self portraits inspired by famous artists' styles, and collages with tissue paper, magazines, and other mixed media. She keeps them focused and engaged, which is saying a lot (my boys are easily distracted!) She also improved their confidence tremendously. I could see how much they were learning and progressing in art within the first few months. Gabi has a genuine passion for art and education, and truly cares about every one of her students. In addition, she has a wide plethora of knowledge about both art and teaching, thanks to her extensive training. I highly recommend Gabi to anyone looking for a hands-on, caring, and exceptionally qualified art teacher!
Gabi has been tutoring my 10 year old daughter with reading and writing for the past 3 years. Within the first year, my daughter's English grade improved from a C to an A! I watched the way Gabi worked with her, and was in awe of her patience, motivation, and engagement. She used a lot of helpful visuals during lessons, as well as interactive, hands-on activities that got my daughter moving and thinking. Now with Covid, Gabi still has the ability to engage my daughter through zoom and get her inspired and moving, so that she feels refreshed and ready to learn. I couldn't recommend her more as tutor in any subject!
Gabi Abrahamson is a former student of mine. She is creative, dependable, kind and intelligent. I recommend her highly as a child-centered art teacher.
Irvine Unified School District
drawing lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest painting lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, watercolor painting lessons for all!
Taking illustration lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|