Each lesson will incorporate reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills all at once, relating to a theme that is important for them to know since you are immersed in American culture. Being able to have an understanding of the culture your children experience at school or to be able to participate in the culture at work keeps you motivated to learn. As I set up a new learning plan, I usually start with common phrases and vocabulary that is specific to your needs. This will help you to be confident conversing in passing introductions and in catching keywords in written form. Once you has some successes in being able to use common phrases and recognize vocabulary, I bring in exercises to help students break down barriers of practicing their new skills and find a safe place to ask questions and stretch their English skills.
I started volunteering with a local ESL program in the Fall of 2014. I had no idea that would be such a big change to my path. I taught with that program in a classroom setting for two years then I got an opportunity to teach one-on-one with an engineering professional who had relocated to the Dallas area. I completed my TESOL Certificate Jan 2018. I have had approximately 20 one-on-one students to date. My favorite parts of teaching are helping students learn English that they can use today and building relationships.
EDUCATION - Texas A&M University College Station, TX
1993 B.S. in Mechanical Engineering; Licensed Professional Engineer 1998
January 2018 - TESOL Certificate
English Language Training 2014-Present
• Individual Tutoring with Refugees
• BEST ESL Program at WoodCreek Bible Fellowship - Assistant Director and a Lead Teacher for ESL Program serving 270 students at two locations.
Church Leadership 2002-Present
• Community Impact Weekend – Program Coordinator
• Fellows Chairman – Program Development
• Local Outreach - Project Coordinator
• Childcare Program Developer
Community Leadership 2004-2012
• Shepard Elementary - Various Volunteer Positions: Math Enrichment Assistant, Hospitality Chairperson , Library Volunteer, Monthly Teacher Appreciation
• My Friends House – House Volunteer
PART-TIME PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
English Language Training
• Cartus – Private Tutoring with Relocated Professional 2016-Present
• Global LT – Private Tutoring with Relocated Professional 2017-Present
Accounting and Office Administration 2008-Present
• Reliant Worldwide Plastics - Daily Accounting and Audit Preparation
• College Mound Cemetery Association - Updating records and restoration project.
• Simplify Your Move - Packed and set up elderly who were downsizing.
• Platinum Pest Control - Customer information and scheduled routine appointments.
FULL-TIME PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Engineering and Project Management 1993-1998
• 3D/International - Construction Research for marketing and litigation projects
• Aguirre Corporation – Project Manager in new construction, renovations and returning leased sites to original condition.
• Aguirre Corporation – Member of Mechanical Engineering HVAC Design team.
Lori is a very pedagogical teacher. Now I am comfortable practicing the English language. she helped me to discoHer the us and texan culture
Lori helped me to improve my english for 7 months while i was doing a work assignment in Dallas - TX.
I had fun believe me !!
Lori find a way to figure out your common mistakes and work on thoses.
More importantly Lori is empathic , lessons are not boring and we often deviated for my own good on topic such american history, american vs british pronunciation etc.
You won't get disappointed with Lori, she is great !
Lori is a great teacher because she isn’t only a grammar and speech instructor, she is also an awesome friend. I am a middle schooler who came to USA with a very weak English knowledge, and Lori was the one who helped me fit into the brand new community while teaching me new language. Together we talked about school, different situations that could happen in public and played American card games. she also helped me with homework and projects. We even studied for Spelling Bee! (I had no idea what it was until she told me ) When my study time was over and I had finally exited her program, she decided to make an online book club. It really helped me because I got a chance to learn English while reading books. I liked that we got to vote on the books ourselves and the book discussions helped me improve my English speech. I really recommend Lori as a teacher because she really helped me fit into the community and I am sure she will help you as well.
I would like to thank Lori for the lessons we had during 2018-2020. It has been very valuable experience for me especially regarding understanding american culture and Texan way of life. Lori is great teacher that can accommodate changes to the learning program as per your needs. I should mention her professionalism and constant focus on teaching during the lessons.
Lori had been teaching me for two years during my husband's international assignment. She quickly assessed my level of knowledge and built a training system that was necessary for me. She is an excellent specialist, she is attentive, punctual and professional. Classes were held in relaxed and friendly atmosphere. Also Lori made me familiar with American medical, educational and other social systems. This was a really great help for me and for my family. I highly recommend Lori as an ESL teacher.
I love the way she explains her lessons. She speaks clearly and corrects my errors when I need it. She is passionate and loves to teach. I learned a lot from her. I consider her my friend.
vocabulary - english lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest ESL lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, oral expression - english lessons for all!
Taking listening comprehension - english lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$40||Not available|