My teaching methods are based on the SIOP model, making all content disciplines comprehensible and manageable for both English language learners and students for whom English is their first language. I have traveled to many countries and taught English. I love multi-cultural connections!
I am an English and Linguistics professor, also certified to teach kindergarten through 12th grade in bilingual or English as a New Language. I have been teaching for over 25 years, from elementary school through graduate students seeking Masters and Doctoral degrees.
Jean-Marie Combes Taş
A life-long learner and educator, particularly with speakers of other languages, I have a strong background in linguistics, writing, English grammar, literacy skills, and phonetics. I have created curricula for various proficiency levels and ages for instruction in reading, writing, speaking, listening and grammar.
North Central University
PhD candidate (ABD), Doctor of Philosophy in Education present
Specialization: English as a Second Language/English for Speakers of Other Languages
Educational Specialist, TESOL 2013
Stony Brook University December 2007
Master of Arts, Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
Stony Brook University May 2006
Bachelor of Arts, Major: Multi-Disciplinary Studies, Emphasis: English, Minor: Linguistics
TESOL Pre-K – 12 Professional Certification September 2011
Music, Pre-K – 12 Professional Certification
English Language Arts, 7-12, Professional Certification
Social Studies, 7-12 Professional Certification
Presenter, National TESOL Conference April 2008
“Teaching Math Concepts Through Sheltered Instruction: SIOP Method”
• Basic communication skills in Turkish and paper translations
• Familiar with French, Italian and Spanish
• Research emphasis: Language Acquisition: Turkish, Zaza, Urdu, Pashto
ESL Adjunct Professor, Suffolk County Community College Fall 2008 - present
• Provide instruction for Grammar Level 2 and Reading, Writing, Conversation Level 2.
• Provide instruction for Grammar Level 3 and Reading, Writing, Conversation Level 3.
• Provide instruction for Intensive English Program, Reading, Writing, Speaking, Listening.
• Prepare students for the GED program, TOEFL exam, and for transferring degrees from their native countries to the U.S.
Linguistics and TESOL Adjunct Professor, Long Island University January 2016 – present
• Provide instruction for Teaching the Content Areas in ESOL K-12 (a methods course), Literacy in TESOL, and Fundamentals of Linguistics.
• Student Teaching Coordinator in TESOL
Program in Academic English Professor
SUNY Stony Brook University August 2016 – December 2017
• Provide instruction for Writing for Academic English, Advanced, course for international students (formerly ESL).
English/ESL Teacher January 2005 – present
On location and via internet
• Assess student performance in English reading, writing, speaking and listening skills.
• Develop individual plans for student proficiency and advancement into English-speaking schools, high school and university levels.
• Provide one-on-one and small group instruction for middle and high school students preparing for entrance examinations to college-bound programs and TOEFL exam.
• Provide instruction in term-paper and essay writing in English for high school and college students.
ENL/ESL/Bilingual Cooperating Teacher/Student Teaching Supervisor/
Student Observer Coordinator 2009 - present
• In conjunction with Stony Brook University and Long Island University
TESOL Adjunct Professor, Dowling College May 2011 – June 2016
Provide instruction for TESOL certification coursework: Theory, Practice, & Methods of Bilingual, Multicultural, & ESL Instruction and Methods for Teaching Content Areas Within Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Classrooms.
TESOL Adjunct Professor, Molloy College December 2015 – January 2016
• Provide instruction for Structure and Application of American English, graduate grammar course
• Provide instruction for TESOL certification coursework: Theory, Practice, & Methods
ESL teacher April 2008 – June 2014
K-8 Charter School
• Acting ESL department coordinator/parent liaison.
• Prepare grant submission for student and parent literacy programming.
• Administer LAB-R and NYSESLAT.
• Provide K-6 ESL instruction, beginner through advanced/transitional, using both push-in and pull-out models aligned with Common Core standards.
• Coordinate programming interdepartmentally, particularly with Reading First grant personnel and special ed. teachers.
• Instruct K-1 with Fundations, as well as content-rich curriculum using the SIOP method.
• Prepare lessons to strategically target skills lacking for content area performance.
ESL Summer School Teacher July – August 2008
• Provided Special Education ESL instruction, ages 8 – 21, through differentiated instruction.
• Assessed and identified students’ linguistic and academic needs.
• Collaborated with classroom teachers and other special services providers.
• Prepared individual and group lessons, specifically designed to target identified speaking, listening, reading and writing needs through comprehensible input.
• Targeted performance necessary for September classwork.
Turkish Translator 2005 - present
academic english lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest reading lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, creative writing lessons for all!
Taking essay writing lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||$50|