For over 20 years I have been helping students of all ages improve their study skills. I have a Master's degree in Education and a Bachelor's degree in English Literature. I have taught English Language Arts in 5 different countries.
I have helped advance students English competencies and test scores in grades 2 through adult including college applications, SAT prep, TOFEL and IELTS while specializing in teaching test taking, oral and writing communication skills and promoting understanding of World Cultures.
“Achieves high levels of success with students...varies well designed activities to reach students of different learning modalities….her curriculum, instruction, and assessment are perfectly in line with state content standards…positively captures the imagination of students...is energetic and enthusiastic engaging in extra-curricular activities and collaborating with colleagues ...”
Former Administrator, Principal, PDHS
“...deeply involved in learning about the educational state-of-the-art, investigating research and designing instructional materials...
Kathryn Jordan, MA
“My ability to motivate people has helped organizations to accomplish their goal of achieving higher test scores, graduation rates and advanced degrees of higher learning. ...I would welcome becoming part of ‘the village that raises the child’ in your district.”
Laurie La Forest
• Able to lead learners into the twenty-first century using twenty years of experience and an educational background in instruction, teaching, curriculum design and classroom management, team building and leadership.
• Advancing school scores by up to 20 percent through dedicated, enthusiastic and dynamic teaching and mentoring.
• Proven record of achieving ambitious results, both individually and as part of a team.
• Hold Master’s Degree in Education, Curriculum and Instruction and Bachelor’s Degree in English Literature.
Education, Honors, and Certifications
• M.A. Secondary Education, Chapman University
• Bachelor of English Literature, California State University San Bernardino
• National Honor Society Member
• Published Poet and Songwriter
• Clear Single Subject Teaching Credential
• Clear Cross-cultural Language and Academic Development Certificate
• Certified in instruction for English language development in grades twelve and below, including preschool, and in classes organized primarily for adults.
• Incorporate learning modality principles into classroom and individual instruction. Develop and conduct inter-grade activities.
• Advance understanding and use of technological approaches to subject material. Research educational resources. Assist with team building and innovation.
Experienced English Literature Teacher, EFL Educator, MUN Advisor and Leadership Team Partnership
Advancing programs of study, designing and conducting lessons and student Literature, Writing, academic, creative and conventional, Public Speaking, Journalism, Mock Trial, MUN and Humanitarian Enterprises. Negotiating with colleagues on curriculum mapping and assessments. Designing and implementing curriculum. Skilled in teambuilding, web page design and publishing.
English Department Head Second Foreign Lang. School,
08/2018 to Present Shanghai Normal University, PRC
Serve as a leader and mentor to the subject teachers.
Arrange teaching responsibilities of the department.
Teacher 12/2016 to 06/2018 Coachella Valley High School,
Moving students from limited English proficiency to fluent.
Teacher 10/2014 to 06/2016 Naseem International School,
MYP, IB English SL & HL, Language A, B and ToK
ELA and Advisor MUN
Teacher 08/2013 to 05/2014 Amistad High School,
ELA, CAHSEE Instruction Thermal, CA
Teacher 08/2012 to 06/2013 Nacel International, Beijing, PRC
Academic Writing, American Lit. Communications
Beginning Spanish and SAT Prep.
Teacher 08/2010 to 07/2012 Uskudar American Academy
High School English Prep., MUN Resolution Editor,
Teacher 08/2003 to 07/2010 Palm Desert High School,
Palm Desert, CA
ELA & ESL Grades 9-11
Club Adviser FNL & Mock Trial
Winner Humanitarian of the Year Award
• Software (IBM and MAC environments): Microsoft Windows and DOS, WordPerfect, Excel, PageMaker, Whiteboard-Smart-board Adobe Acrobat, Web Page Design, Blog, and Twitter
• Working knowledge of the Internet
• System installations and debugging; terminal/printer operations
Professional Affiliations and Awards
• National Honors’ Society 1998 & ‘99
• Publication Barton Press Anthology of Modern Poetry
• California Certification Clear Teaching Credential
• Cultural Language and Diversity Certificate
• Amnesty International
• Heifer International
• Sierra Club
• International Reading Association
• Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development
vocabulary - english lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest ESL lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, oral expression - english lessons for all!
Taking writing comprehension - english lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$30||$30|
|5 hours||Not available||$100||$150|
|10 hours||Not available||$200||$300|