I believe in a learner-centered teaching philosophy. I analyze what level the student has and find out why they want to study the target language. It's important to know what the student is interested in as I will customize lessons to meet the student's needs. I enjoy helping students to engage in their learning and encourage students to be responsible for their own learning.
I have been teaching English and Spanish for over 30 years. For 20 years, I was the director of a university-based ESL program. My specialties are pronunciation and curriculum development. I can teach for all levels of proficiency and areas of language development.
Since 2018, I have been doing online tutoring, either private or group lessons.
In addition, I am a Yoga instructor. My personal mission in life is to help create a more peaceful, sustainable world. I really love to travel and learn about world cultures and languages.
Cancellations must be made by text message 12 hours in advance for no charge. If you notify me in less than 12 hours, the charge is $12.50
MA TESOL 1995, Eastern Michigan University. National Dean’s List.
BA Social Science 1981, University of Michigan. Focus: Languages and Anthropology.
Study Abroad: Albert-Ludwigs University, Freiburg, Germany. Phi Beta Kappa.
• Fluent in English, German, Spanish (spoken and written)
• Travel-savvy and culturally sensitive
• Able to manage budgets, programs, people, schedules
• Resourceful, diligent, mindful
• Excel at customer service
Coordinator/Director of ESL at UNCW: 1999-2018. University of North Carolina Wilmington. Leader of dynamic English program for international students.
• Administered all aspects of an Intensive English Immersion Program (personnel, marketing, recruitment/international travel, budget, specialized curriculum design program design, teaching, testing, orientation, friendship programs).
• Collaborated extensively with various departments at UNCW and community organizations.
• Pulled program through several economic downturns; maintained a 500K yearly budget.
• Sought, documented, and received 5-year CEA accreditation for the program.
• Professional Orgs: NAFSA, TESOL, Carolina TESOL.
UNCW Lecturer, Dept. of World Languages and Cultures: 2006-present. WLC 105
Language Instructor Wilmington, NC: 1998-1999:
• Cape Fear and Brunswick Community Colleges: Bilingual English/Spanish
• Miller Motte Technical College: Business English, Literature, Composition
• Cape Fear Academy: Spanish for high school students
• Huntington Learning Center: English skills for elementary – high school students
Translator, Interpreter, Editor: 1995- 2005. Ann Arbor, MI and Wilmington, NC.
• Editing and translating English into Spanish and German
• Court Interpreting for New Hanover and Pender Counties
• Spanish language consultant for Rampage Yacht Company
ESL/ESP Trainer and Editor: 1990-1999. Ann Arbor, MI and Wilmington, NC.
• Served private students at all levels. Expertise in Accent Reduction/
Pronunciation, Business English, Technical Writing/Dissertation edits, Technical and Academic Presentation Advising.
• Language Consultants, Inc. and General Physics (MI) Trained engineers in English and Spanish skills.
ESL Instructor and Administrative Assistant: 1989-1998. University of Michigan Family Housing Language Program, Ann Arbor, MI.
• Designed curriculum, developed materials, and taught English to international students at all ages and levels of proficiency (preschool age through adult).
• Duties included recruitment, training, supervision of teaching assistants; coordination and implementation of program-wide field trips and activities for students and their families, coordination of conversation partner program
and classroom design.
• Professional orgs: TESOL , NAFSA.
ESL lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest oral expression - english lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, listening comprehension - english lessons for all!
Taking writing expression - english lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||$25|