I believe that a successful teacher must exhibit patience, adaptability, excellent interpersonal
communication skills, an understanding of their students' cultural backgrounds, and an understanding of
students' individual needs and learning styles. From my teaching experiences, I have seen that these
qualities are critical in being an effective teacher and for establishing a good relationship with your students to foster mutual respect. As a language learner myself, I have experienced the stresses and the rewards of studying a foreign language. This has allowed me to empathize with my students and the struggles they experience while learning a new language. I like to use a variety of written and audiovisual tools to expose my students to a variety of learning styles that suit them personally.
My name is Eric. I have been teaching ESL for over 5 years to a very diverse groups of students including young adults, Master's and Ph.D. candidates, and adult learners in the United States; kindergarten and college students in China; and primary and middle school students in Honduras. I have a Master's Degree in International Affairs with a focus on Community Education from Pennsylvania State University, and a Master's Degree in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL). As a language learner myself, I have experienced the stresses and the rewards of studying a foreign language. This has allowed me to empathize with my students and the struggles they experience while learning a new language.
5/2015 - 5/2017: Master of Arts River Forest, IL
Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
Concordia University Chicago
8/2011 - 5/2013: Master of International Affairs University Park, PA
Major: International Affairs
The Pennsylvania State University
8/2004 - 5/2008: Bachelor of Arts Geneseo, NY
Major: International Relations
The State University of New York at Geneseo
8/2019 - present: Adjunct Professor - English for Academic Purposes Tampa, NY
Hillsborough Community College
• Provide English for Academic Purposes language instruction to classes of 20 upper-intermediate college students.
• Assist students in developing skills and strategies to be able to scan and analyze lengthy academic texts and broaden their active and passive vocabulary.
• Evaluate students’ academic progress on a regular basis and track relevant data.
11/2018 – 7/2019: Adjunct Professor - English as a Second Language Flushing, NY
Long Island Business Institute
• Provided English for Academic Purposes language instruction to classes of five to thirty, beginner to advanced-level college students.
• Provided daily lessons based on a curriculum set to the college’s standards.
• Evaluated students’ academic progress on a regular basis and track relevant data.
• Provided one-on-one and group tutoring sessions weekly.
9/2018 – 6/2019: Instructor - English to Speakers of Other Languages Sunnyside, NY
Sunnyside Community Services
• Provided English language instruction to classes of 20-30 upper beginner level adults.
• Prepared daily lesson plans based on a contextualized curriculum that is relevant to students’ daily needs and lives, with additional focus on civic engagement.
• Tailored curriculum for each level of instruction to match students’ needs.
• Assessed students’ language growth on a regular basis.
9/2017 - 8/2018: Teacher - English as a Second Language Jiangmen, China
Jiangmen Polytechnic College
• Taught Business English, Education English, and Applied English to classes of 10-70 college students, with emphasis on improving basic English communication skills and pronunciation.
• Prepared lesson plans, progress reports, end-of-term final exams, and assessments; coached students
in language competitions.
• Identified the needs and interests of the learners and adapted course content and delivery style best suited to class size and level.
• Researched and utilize various appropriate audiovisual materials based on student English level.
• Edited and helped develop written and electronic teaching materials such as voice recordings in English for use by the college.
7/2013 - 1/2014: Teacher Assistant – English as a Second Language (volunteer) Brentwood, NY
Make the Road New York
• Assisted head instructor in teaching English as a Second Language to class of 30 adults, with emphasis on improving English-language skills for professional and academic betterment.
• Developed and implemented activities and coursework to introduce real life settings to practice English relevant for every day communication.
• Worked individually with lowest-level students in small groups to help develop basic reading, writing, and listening skills.
9/2012 - 12/2012: Teacher/Intern - English as a Second Language Villanueva & San Pedro Sula, Honduras
Walk Beside Me for Knowledge Foundation
• Taught grades two through seven, planning, preparing and delivering lessons to classes of 15-25 students. Prepared progress reports and student assessments, and provided tutoring to students as needed.
• Managed Internet and social media presence of organization, including volunteer, internship, and job opportunity postings, as well publicizing the organization’s objectives and activities.
• Provided administrative support for the organization’s director and school principal.
8/2011 - 5/2013: Tutor – English as a Second Language (volunteer) University Park, PA
Global Connections Conversation Partners Program
• Held weekly meetings with international students from different disciplines, focusing on improving their professional level English language verbal and written abilities.
• Edited and proofread documents pertaining to academic work.
• Researched appropriate learning materials and lesson deliveries based on students' individualized needs.
8/2009 - 8/2010: Teacher - English as a Second Language Beijing, China
Expertise Education Co. Ltd. (presently YIBO Education)
• Taught English language skills for pre-kindergarten to second grade with classes of 20-25 students, utilizing multi-media to facilitate language practice.
• Developed curricula and study materials that were appropriate for students of varying levels of ability and reflected their needs and interests, as well as the school's required standards.
• Prepared progress reports and assessments, providing appropriate feedback and additional tutoring to students requiring extra help.
3/2008 - 5/2008: Teacher – English as a Second Language (volunteer) Mt. Morris, NY
BOCES Migrant Education Outreach Program
• Taught English as a Second Language to migrant workers from Latin America in groups of five to ten students.
• Provided instructions on practical life skills in the USA through intensive immersion and written materials.
Other Work Experience
10/2013 - 8/2017, Insurance Auto Auctions Medford, NY
10/2010 - 8/2011, Administrative Assistant
8/2008 - 8/2009
• Employed at this company to fund pre and post graduate education, and between seeking degrees.
• Provided administrative support to executive officers and backup support for other departments, including those related to logistics, transportation, and accounting.
• Resolved administrative problems by analyzing data, preparing reports, updating databases, and identifying solutions.
• Provided front line customer service/support and communication with insurance companies, dealers, and international exporters.
TESOL/TESL/TEFL Certification, 60 hours (2009) - Oxford Seminars
TEFL Certification, 60 hours (2017) - Bridge Education Group
CAL BEST Plus 2.0 Test Administration (2018) - Center for Applied Linguistics
Additional Skills & Experience
Languages: Spanish, Polish, Russian
Skills: Canvas; Jupiter Ed; Engrade Pro; Blackboard; Campus Vue; Microsoft Office; Research; Curriculum Development; Lesson Planning; Classroom Management; Multicultural Education; Volunteer Management; Social Media
Professional Memberships: Penn State Alumni Association; Young Nonprofit Professionals Network of
New York City (YNPN-NYC)
vocabulary - english lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest ESL lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, oral expression - english lessons for all!
Taking writing comprehension - english lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$23||$23|