Based on my major ESL and work experiences, my understanding of being an English teacher is to appropriately design the ESL course for students including choosing the appropriate reading magazine, grammar book, designing daily assignments and weekly quizzes. In addition, English teacher should make the study file for each student, following their study process and made the ESL learning report for school.
As for the English teaching classroom, it should be student-centered and collaborative environment instead of teacher-centered teaching way. Teacher should design the tasks for students to finish them collaboratively. What should be emphasized is that the assessment is essential during the process of students' collaborative working and assignments. In addition to guarantee the learner-learner interaction like collaborative learning, learner-teacher interaction should also be enhanced in the classroom. Teacher should constantly ask for students' feedback in order to adjust lesson.
I am interested in this job opening, because it really matches my previous work experiences. I have worked in NorthStar Christian Academy as an ESL teacher. My work is to design the ESL course for international students from 8th grade to 12th grade, choosing the appropriate reading magazine, grammar book, designing daily assignments and weekly quizzes. In addition, I also made the study file for each student, following their study process and made the ESL learning report for school. Moreover, I had the similar work experiences back in China. I worked in the English education institution as an English assistant. I taught English lessons to 7th grade students and assigned the homework for them every day. During this experience, my teaching skill of interaction with students, controlling my teaching pace has improved a lot.
(concealed information) | (concealed information)
INTERNATIONAL TEACHER OF CHINESE | ENGLISH TUTOR | CHINESE-ENGLISH INTERPRETER
UNIVERSITY OF ROCHESTER WARNER SCHOOL OF EDUCATION – ROCHESTER, NY M.S. in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages May 2019
• Master’s thesis reviewed the literature on the effects of online English learning for ELLs in the world.
• Designed an online ESL course for a class project that incorporated cooperative learning, task-based teaching, and instant feedback for the students on their progress.
• Researched the application of code switching in an English learning classroom, concluding that it most benefits students with basic English proficiency.
• Praised by the professor for demonstrating critical thinking on a paper about the ways that multiple languages used in a family affect parent-child relationship.
• Authored a research paper on the strategic development of higher education in China that was commended by the professor who asked to use it as an exemplar in future classes.
CHINA UNIVERSITY OF MINING &TECHNOLOGY - BEIJING, CHINA
M.A. in Foreign Linguistics & Applied Linguistics 2017
• Published an article comparing audio-visual teaching and communicative teaching as first author in peer reviewed Youth Days in 2015.
• Researched turn-taking in clinical conversations between Finnish social workers and their clients for master’s thesis, demonstrating that proper turn-taking enhanced the clinical outcomes.
• Won Merit Scholarship (two years) and recognized as the Outstanding Graduate Student in 2017.
SICHUAN INTERNATIONAL STUDIES UNIVERSITY – CHONGQING, CHINA
B.A. in English for International Relations 2014
• Purposefully chose to pursue courses focused on advancing English communication skills. With four peers, designed an English reading course that won 3rd prize in the Advanced Course Contest in the University’s School of International Relations in 2013.
• With two team members, won third prize in a school-wide competition on international perspectives of global warming presented at the Second International Relations Forum in 2013.
• Won the School’s Excellent Thesis Award in 2011 for thesis on Modern Chinese History.
• Awarded two merit scholarships.
NORTHSTAR CHRISTIAN ACADEMY - ROCHESTER, NY
ESL Teacher | Tutor Sept. 2018 – Jan. 2019
Hired to supplement the ESL teaching for 20 international middle and high school students at a private suburban school. Collaborated with the ESL teacher to design four ESL courses for 7th – 12th grade students. Recommended learning materials with relevant topics for each grade level. Provided regular feedback on students’ written assignments, taught reading and grammar lessons using articles from Action, a teen-centric magazine, and tutored students as needed.
• Complimented by the ESL teacher and the headmaster for effectively teaching English who expressed interest in employing me in the future.
• Employed code switching to build a relationship with a few isolated Chinese students with low English skills who over the semester increased their attendance and class participation, and improved their communication skills.
• Tutored a Chinese student with basic English skills who by the end of the semester earned the highest score on an English writing assignment in her class.
ROCHESTER CITY SCHOOL DISTRICT EAST HIGH SCHOOL – ROCHESTER, NY
OBSERVER | Tutor Feb. 2018 – Mar. 2018
Observed and talked with 11th and 12th grade students in an urban school with economically disadvantaged students about their study life and difficulties, and tutored them on their math, science, and chemistry assignments.
UNIVERSITY OF ROCHESTER LANGUAGE CENTER- ROCHESTER, NY
Chinese Conversation Facilitator Oct. 2017 – Dec. 2017
Conversed with undergraduate students and community guests in Chinese and English about a wide variety of topics including Chinese culture, social policies, pollution, geography, history, and important events such as Chinese Lunar New Year.
EXPLORE EGYPT – CAIRO, EGYPT
Chinese Teacher July 2015 – Sept. 2015
Joined the volunteer staff of a summer Boy Scout Camp as one of four teachers of Chinese language. Taught basic Chinese language, characters, customs, and culture using English to 50 native Arabic speaking children ages 12-18 years old.
YOUNG LEARNERS ENGLISH TRAINING CENTER – CHONG QING, CHINA
English Teaching Assistant | Tutor June 2013 – Aug. 2013
Hired to assist a 7th grade English teacher with 30 rural students in an accelerated summer language program. Assigned authentic daily activities, tutored students on their vocabulary and grammar exercises, and created the daily PowerPoint presentations for the teacher.
SICHUAN INTERNATIONAL STUDIES UNIVERSITY WORK & TRAVEL PROGRAM 2012
Gained U.S. work experience in a school sponsored employment and cultural learning program. Employed in Williamsburg, VA. as an overnight baker for Dunkin Donuts for 10 weeks, then traveled in the U.S. for two weeks to eight cities on the east west coasts.
vocabulary - english lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest ESL lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, oral expression - english lessons for all!
Taking writing comprehension - english lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$67||Not available|