First, in spite of a student's placement, I'd offer a diagnostic test both in grammar and academic writing. For the latter, I provide narrative feedback on what has been written and instruction both in argumentation and style in terms of improving writing. With regard to teaching literature, I facilitate understanding, first and foremost, the author's purpose in writing a work and then analyzing how this purpose has been achieved via both style and and multiple conventions. I follow Bloom's Taxonomy for promoting deep-level thinking and not merely regurgitation of the facts. I can recommend a book for Academic Writing if practice in that area -- beyond actual school work -- is needed.
I have had over 25 years experience as an English teacher both in h.s., middle school, and 3 colleges.
Certified Postgraduate professional in Virginia, AP Literature teacher, ESL teacher.
Graduate of UVA and U of Richmond. Live on the western edge of Charlottesville, VA.
I am unable to receive students in my home during the time of Coronavirus.
Postgraduate Professional Certification in VA
In Secondary English and ESL (K-12)
25+ years of full-time experience plus several years as an adjunct professor
Part time online teaching”
To teach/tutor English literature and/or academic reading and writing both to native speakers of English and/or to ELL students, preferably those in middle or secondary school or in college
Teaching/professional capabilities based on extensive experience at high school and college level with vast multicultural populations both in secular a parochial school domains include: (25 + years primarily in multicultural environments)
• Academic/analytical writing for ESL and more fluent English speakers
• Basic writing – from crafting a sentence to writing a paragraph
• 5 paragraph essay
• Reading and analytical reading for ESL and more fluent English students, including news analysis and source analysis of web sites
• Public speaking
• Recognition and use of American idioms
• Standard English grammar
• Standardized test preparation for entrance to American universities
• Essay writing for university applications
• Preparation of power point presentations
• Research skills and avoiding plagiarism charges
• Literary analysis for college writing
• American culture
• Creation and use of google documents including slides and
uploading and accessing Google classrooms
• Creation and use of storyboards and video essays with
Work History: (part time, by choice, since retiring)
2020 – Spring semester: substituting at Monticello H.S.
Western Albemarle High School, and The Miller School
2014 - 2019 –private tutoring and substitute teacher for Fairfax Country Schools while writing at home, long-term AP English-Lit. Sub 2017 - 2018 James Madison High School, Vienna, VA);
Long-term AP sub 2016-2017 at O’Connell Catholic High School
In Arlington, VA.
• 2013 -2016: Advanced Placement English Literature and 10th grade honors English teacher at Paul VI Catholic High School, Fairfax, VA; taught ESL there in 2013-16
• Retired from Woodrow Wilson High School; NW Washington, DC: 1999- 2013
Faculty member for 14 years - Advanced Placement British and Western Literature, Senior Level, and Honors II, formerly English as a Second Language instructor in this comprehensive high school of about 1500 students drawing from about 60 nations, including the foreign diplomatic community teens.
At Wilson for two consecutive years I was named a Highly Effective Teacher in DCPS (2010 – 2012) under Michelle Rhee’s Impact Evaluation Schemata; previously received Exceeds Expectations for nine (9) consecutive years at Wilson
• I have taught several levels of ESL: –ESL III: Advanced Grammar and Composition, English IV for ESL (British Literature), and English I (literature).
• Extra activities: Coordinator of the Multi-Cultural Winter Festival, Sponsor for Knitting for Shut-Ins Community Service Club, Organizer and Lead Sponsor of an English IV for ESL trip to Great Britain, sponsor of a school-wide Shakespearean competition at the Shakespeare Theater r(associated with the English Speaking Union), Participant in the West-Ed Literacy Training Program in 2005-2006 and “add on” ongoing literacy group, mentor to a couple of student teachers from American University, mentor to a foreign student from Thailand. Close-Up Foundation Sponsor in 2004.
Averett University – Northern Virginia International Program
then in Falls church (main campus in Danville, VA would have
Adjunct Professor -1997-1999 – All Korean students
ESL – Reading Intermediate
Islamic Saudi Academy – Alexandria, VA, 1996-1997
Reading/Strengthening teacher, ESL population of students
From 30 nations
Summer 2008: I was the lead/sole lecturer in The English as a Foreign Language Program for the Physics Faculty at Novosibirsk State University in Russia. Invited back for summer
Sue Robeson, English Administrator at James Madison High
School, now retired but in FCPS system in another capacity
Dr. Tom Opfer, Principal, Paul VI High School, Fairfax, VA
10675 Fairfax Blvd, Fairfax, VA 22030
Tonia Rodgers: CE ESL Office at NOVA, Annandale at (concealed information) or
(concealed information) (now an associate professor herself
Dr. Robin Branch, Professor/Scholar of Old Testament in Memphis TN
Email: (concealed information)
Part-time within the Past 15 years: I have taught both reading and writing on the advanced levels to ESL students at Northern Virginia Community College in Annandale, Virginia. Reference: Tonia Rodgers: CE ESL Office at (concealed information) or (concealed information)
Averett University’s International Program in Northern Virginia :1997-1999
I worked as an adjunct faculty in ESL in this all Korean program and taught ESL Reading. It has since been dissolved in that the school could not compete with the price of comparable prices at NOVA. Contact Averett University in Danville, VA to verify employment.
420 W Main St Danville, Virginia 24541 (concealed information)
1. M.Ed. in Social Foundations, The University of Virginia, Charlottesville, graduated in 1987, travel-study in London University Institute of Ed. and
in Russia, 1986-1987 (This degree is useful both for teaching and working in educational policy in a legislative branch.)
2. B.A. in English from the University of Richmond, 1974
3. Year of graduate study at Union Theological Seminary in Virginia, 1981-1982
4. 30+ graduate hours for ESL certification in Virginia
5. graduate work at George Washington in English on the masters/doctoral level in Victorian/Social Problem Novel (British Literature)
6. Spanish and ongoing classes at NOVA Summer Institute at Howard University in Advanced Placement Training
7. Summer Programme in English Literature at Oxford University, 2006
(Romantic Poetry and the Victorian Woman’s Novel)
Professional Certificates: (copies available upon request)
1. Postgraduate Professional License in Virginia (Master’s) in English, English as a Second Language: PreK-12, and Speech Communication, License # PGP 222994, current through 2029(10 years) See:
2. Certificate in Advanced Placement from the College Board for both
English Language (11th grade) and English Literature (12th grade)
Other Teaching Awards:
• Named a National Society of High School Scholars/ Claes Nobel Educator of Distinction in 2005 with award being conferred in the Cannon Caucus Room on Capitol Hill.
• Recently received this award a 2nd time: (November 2011 again – awarded at the Jimmy Carter Presidential Library in Georgia –unable to attend)
Other Activities: School-Related
Close-Up Foundation Sponsor at Wilson in 2004.
West-Ed Literacy Group
Sponsor: Knitting for Shut-ins – Community Service
Community: Member of the Education Committee of the English Speakers’ Union, the entity in charge of the Folger Shakespearean Competition
Church (Former) vestry representative in Kazakhstan, Anglican
Organized and led Turning the Pages of British Literature travel study tour to the U.K. (Canterbury, London, Oxford, Bath) in the spring 2002.
Organized trip for nine people to Italy, 2019.
Travel: England, Scotland, Belgium, France, Switzerland, Germany, Israel, Mexico, Wales, Russia, Canada, Estonia, Kazakhstan, Italy
Note: At an earlier juncture, I taught English on the Middle School level for 3 years at Henderson Middle School in Richmond, Virginia.
I have also worked as a Capitol Hill Foreign Affairs Legislative Assistant in the U.S. Congress and as a Director of Correspondence (about 6 years)
Other information: I am a published poet and sometimes columnist
Not reflected in this resume:
Seven (7) years of work on Capitol Hill for both sides of the aisle as a legislative correspondent, legislative assistant, and Director of Correspondence
Members included former Senator Bob Dole of KS, Senator David Durenberger of MN, and Rep. Don Bonker of WA State
Note: I have earned 60+ graduate hours (Masters and beyond) and was paid at the Ph.D. level when at Wilson High school.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||$20|
|5 hours||Not available||Not available||$100|
|10 hours||Not available||Not available||$200|