My teaching approach includes meeting the student where they are, assessing strengths and opportunities for growth, creating a plan and setting goals, and then frequently monitoring student growth to make adjustments as needed. I believe true differentiation is key for student success. If students lack confidence, I aim to build that up and show them how smart they are and can be. I believe in making tutoring personalized and engaging for students at any age or level.
I am a veteran teacher and tutor with 10 years of experience teaching kids from age 5-13 foundational and advanced literacy skills. This includes phonemic and phonological awareness, phonics, reading fluency, comprehension, and writing. I have helped many students to make well over a years worth of reading and writing growth. In addition, I have taught English Learners, and have supported them in making appropriate language development gains through reading, writing, listening, and speaking in English. I have mainly worked with children, but also have over a years experience of teaching Adult ESL classes.
*Cancelling must occur 24 hours prior to scheduled session or client will be charged for 1/2 of session.
*Minimum 1 hour session
*Willing to travel more than 10 miles away for additional fee
*Pricing is based on my experience and educational level
Coach and Teacher, Metro Nashville Public Schools, Nashville, TN 2012-Present
Experience in teaching grades 1, 2, 3, and 5-8. Certified ELL Teacher, EL Coach.
District 5-8 SIFE Teacher
● Teacher to 5-8 Grade Students with Interrupted Formal Education (SIFE)
● Teacher of English Language Arts, English Language Development, Foundational Skills, and
Social Emotional Learning Skills
● Implementation of Trauma Informed Practices with students
● Partnership with guardians and families to facilitate equitable access and more
opportunities for our students
● Partnership with community organizations and local businesses who work with immigrant
and refugee families or come from immigrant and refugee backgrounds.
● Professional Learning Community participant utilizing The Funds of Knowledge with
students and their families
District English Language Development (ELD) Coach
● Assisted MNPS school teachers in meeting the needs of English Learner (EL) students
through support with planning, modeling, differentiated lessons based on the proficiency
levels, leading coaching cycles with teachers, and helping them to analyze student data
● Assisted district leaders, principals, instructional coaches, teachers, and other school staff in
reviewing and utilizing EL data, and identifying and facilitating professional development
based on school and district data
● TVASS Level 5
J.E. Moss Elementary School
● Utilized data to provide best instructional practices leading towards improvement in
● 95% of students (18/19) met or exceeded their Winter MAP Growth Goal for both Math
● Consistent collaboration with first grade team, administrators, and coaches, aimed at
providing quality instruction to all students through utilization of Core Actions, data, best
practices, and problem solving.
● Co-taught and participated in coaching cycles around the implementation of best math
practices with numeracy coach through a Math Teacher Cohort
● Mentor and Model teacher to M.Ed. intern from Vanderbilt University, Belmont University,
and Lipscomb University. Coached, managed, mentored, co-taught, and provided feedback
using both the TEAM Instructional Rubric and University Rubrics.
● 1st Grade Representative for Parent and Family Involvement Team and Faculty and Staff
● Provided consistent social emotional instruction incorporating goal setting to lead to
academic and SEL gains through implementation of morning meeting, closing circle,
responsive classroom, individualized positive behavior trackers, and trauma informed
● Assisted with interviews to select 2019-2020 teachers
● Acceptance into 2019 Literacy Teacher Development Specialist Hiring Pool
● TVASS Level 5
Smith Springs Elementary School
● Over 80% of my 3 rd grade students achieved a year or over a years growth on the ELA MAP
● Growth from 42% to 70% of students at or above grade level as measured by Text Leveled
Assessments on spring benchmark
● High growth of EL students with 100% of students meeting or exceeding EL growth goals
as determined by ACCESS with 35% exiting EL services
● Lead 3rd Grade Team in weekly collaborative planning sessions, communicated needs of
team to leadership, and advocated for team when needed
● Leadership Team Representative for 3 rd Grade
● Participant in EL Teacher Cohort and Balanced Literacy Cohort
● Provided Professional Development on Balanced Literacy to school staff during PD days
and during weekly grade level PLCs.
● Implemented school wide training around Tennessee’s New ELA Standards
● Led, Implemented, and Coached Girls on the Run and 3 rd and 4 th grade Debate Team
● Lead Teacher for an Aspiring M.Ed. Teacher from Trevecca University. Coached, managed,
mentored, co-taught, and provided feedback utilizing the TEAM Instructional Rubric over
an entire school year.
● Accepted into the 2017 Literacy Teacher Development Specialist (LTDS) Pool
● TVASS Level 4
Paragon Mills Elementary School
● 2nd and 3rd Grade ELL teacher
● Coordinator and Planner of After School Reading Tutoring Program with Asurion
● Chair of Paragon Mills Data Committee
● TVAAS Level 5
Additional Professional Experience
Teach for America Elementary School Director for 2019 Summer Institute at Gra-Mar MS
Nashville Aspiring School Leader Fellowship (NASLF) 2018 Cohort
Sponsored 2018-2019 Schools to Learn From Fellow
2018-2019 MNPS EL Teacher Council Representative
Adult ESL Teacher with Tennessee Immigrant and Refugee Rights Coalition (TIRRC) 2018
LEAF Adult ESL Teacher with MNPS 2016-2017
2012 Greater Nashville Teach For America Corps Member
Catholic Charities Refugee Services Intern
Planned Parenthood of Middle and East TN Education Intern
Lipscomb University, Nashville, TN, Ed.S. in Educational Leadership December 2019
Lipscomb University, Nashville, TN M.Ed. K-6 Instructional Practice December 2013
Middle Tennessee State University, Murfreesboro, TN, Bachelors of Social Work, Minor in
Psychology December 2011
academic english lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest reading lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, essay writing lessons for all!
Taking literacy lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$45||$35|
|5 hours||Not available||$210||$175|
|10 hours||Not available||$420||$350|