I enjoy all aspects of language teaching and have an eclectic and organic style. I mix my approaches up to suit each individual's needs. I have found that my students have been most successful if their learning is done in a context that carries some personal importance to them.
I have had a long and successful career teaching students at all levels of Spanish. I acquired near-native fluency while living in Peru for four years after my undergraduate degree. I went on to study the Spanish language and completed an MA with Middlebury College while in Madrid, Spain.
I charge more for advanced level classes. However, I am always open to negotiation. Additionally, students often find that they need more than a 60 minute session. When this is the case, I charge $80.00 (a $5.00 savings) for a 120 minutes session.
Karen De Gregorio
Language Instructor, 08/2018 to 07/2020
Geffen Academy at UCLA- Westwood, CA
• Designed and implemented new middle school curriculum for levels two and three.
• Educated students in Spanish language and culture in Middle and Upper Schools applying variety of instructional techniques, including project-based curriculum, and differentiated learning.
• Applied diverse teaching approaches, such as VTS (Visual Thinking Strategies), to increase student’s oral proficiency and critical thinking skills.
Spanish Educator, 11/2016-03/2017
Windward School-Mar Vista, CA
• Educated students in Spanish language and culture applying a variety of instructional techniques, including
Spanish Educator, 09/2012-07/2016
Viewpoint School- Calabasas, CA
• Educated students in Spanish language including advanced students in the Advanced Placement Program.
• Taught Spanish levels 2, 3 and 4 Honors and Spanish Cinema course.
Executive Director, 06/2007- 06/2012
Multicultural Resource Center- Philadelphia, PA
• Coordinated and implemented effective programming for over forty-member schools building diversity awareness among faculty and student body.
• Planned and executed student events and Professional Development workshops for faculty on equity and inclusion.
Spanish Educator, Summer 2011
Middlebury Monterey Language Academy- Swarthmore College, PA
• Designed and implemented new curriculum incorporating MMLA principles in language acquisition.
• Created and taught after-school yoga program in Spanish.
Upper School Spanish Educator, World Religions Educator, Yoga Instructor, 09/2008 to 06/2011
The Episcopal Academy- Newtown Square, PA
• Educated students in several departments including; World Languages, Humanities and Wellness.
• Educated students applying a variety of instructional techniques, including hands-on project-based curriculum.
Senior Instructor, 12/2007 – 08/2008
University of the Arts- Philadelphia, PA
• Developed the University’s first Liberal Arts Spanish Program and designed lesson plans to fully cover target material for each course.
• Employed diverse teaching approaches, such as VTS (Visual Thinking Strategies), and TPR (Total Physical Response) to increase student proficiency.
• Organized and developed interdisciplinary resources and projects for students to integrate the Arts and Spanish language.
Certificate in Museum Studies
Northwestern University- Chicago, IL
Certificate in NonProfit Executive Leadership
Bryn Mawr College- Bryn Mawr, PA
Master of Arts: Spanish Language and Literature
Middlebury College- Middlebury, VT and Madrid, Spain
Bachelor of Arts: Art History
Boston College- Chestnut Hill, MA
Museum of Tolerance- Los Angeles, CA
• Conducted 6-12 school tours and private tours.
Philadelphia Museum of Art- Philadelphia, PA
• Wrote curriculum for Spanish teachers that incorporated the PMA collection into lesson plans.
International Jesuit Volunteer Corps-Tacna, Peru
• Lived in Tacna, Peru as a volunteer worker for four years
I originally used Profe Karen as a tutor to prep for a Spanish college exam, and all I can say is that I am so glad I found her. She is very patient and really takes the time to explain how things work. It also shows that she’s been a teacher for a while because she just knows how to lay it out clearly, and she is always capable of answering all of my random questions. Overall, I gained a lot of confidence with Karen, and I highly recommend her.
I originally used Karen as a tutor to prep for a Spanish college exam, and all I can say is that I am so glad I found her. She is very patient and really takes the time to explain how things work. It also shows that she’s been a teacher for a while because she just knows how to lay it out clearly, and she is always capable of answering all of my random questions. Overall, I gained a lot of confidence with Karen, and I highly recommend her.
spanish lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest oral expression - spanish lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, vocabulary - spanish lessons for all!
Taking oral comprehension - spanish lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||$45|