Lessons are geared to teach you about music and how to apply music to the guitar. Lessons are also tailored to the student's age and experience level. Students of any age are welcome, as I have experience teaching students as young as age 6, as well as children with special needs.
Topics will include, but are not limited to: Music Notation, Chords, Rhythm, Chord Progressions, Scales, Warm-up Exercises, Theory, Improvisation, and General technique.
My goals for lessons have always been about the student learning how to play and understanding the guitar, and empowering the student to express themselves through their instrument.
I am a guitar player and music educator with over 35 years playing experience and over 23 years teaching experience in private guitar lessons. I mainly play rock/blues/metal, but have also studied jazz and classical at the college level.M.M. in Music Education UMASS Amherst, Massachusetts.
I am currently employed as a middle school band director with over 16 years of experience instructing beginners on flute, clarinet, sax, trumpet, trombone, baritone horn, concert band percussion, guitar, piano, bass guitar, ukulele, and drum set.
Lessons: Single 30 minute lessons are $25. Single 60 minute lessons are $50.
Band Director for a public school since 2004.
Guitar Instruction - Self Employed since 1997.
Holyoke Community College — A.A. Music - 1997
Westfield State College - B.A. Music Education - 2004
UMASS Amherst - M.M. Music Education - 2010
1. General Duties and Instruction
• Teaches middle and high school students academic, social, and life skills through the
delivery of district instruction, curriculum and assessment
• Notation Software - Finale, Notion, & various IOS apps.
• Writing and arranging parts for students of various experience levels.
• Video conference: Zoom & Skype.
• Triple Play (Fishman) midi guitar software.
• Various Google Suite applications.
• Prepares, administers, corrects, and analyzes assessments.
• Utilizes the conclusions derived from assessment analysis in developing lessons.
• Instructs students on rules of conduct and expected behaviors.
• Manages his/her class as well as other students wherever those students may be located,
whether on campus or at off campus events.
• Identifies students with academic issues and refers those students to appropriate service providers.
Writing and arranging parts for students of various experience levels. Video conference: Zoom & Skype
Triple Play (Fishman) midi guitar software
Various Google Suite applications.
Prepares, administers, corrects and analyzes student assessments.
Utilizes the conclusions derived from assessment analysis in developing lessons. Instructs students on rules of conduct and expected behaviors.
Manages his/her class as well as other students wherever those students may be located
• Regularly informs parents or guardians of their students academic performance and behavior.
• Maintains records, attendance and grades as required by the district.
• Assigns lessons and corrects homework in a timely manner.
• Instructs students, using various teaching methods, such as lecture and demonstration, and uses audiovisual aids and other materials to supplement presentations.
• Plans, organizes and delivers differentiated instruction in an appropriate manner consistent with district curriculum.
• Maintains school and classroom discipline.
• Meets or calls parents to discuss student progress and issues.
• Teaches one or more subjects to students in either Middle or High school
• Provides timely feedback to students, parents, and guardians on evaluations.
• Use appropriate techniques and strategies that promote critical, creative, and evaluative thinking skills.
• Strives to maintain a learning environment that is both physically and emotionally safe.
• Effectively and regularly communicates with fellow staff members and school administration.
• Participates in faculty and professional meetings, educational conferences, and teacher training workshops.
• Performs related duties, such as sponsoring one or more activities or student organizations, assisting students in selecting course of study, and counseling student in adjustment and academic problems.
• Other duties as assigned by the principal, school administration or superintendent of schools.
• Assist in the communication and enforcement of federal and state laws and regulations as well as district policies and procedures.
• Works cooperatively with school administration, staff, and special education.
3. School/Community Relations
• Respects students, parents, guardians and community.
• Assists parents with questions and concerns.
• Maintain professional relationships with students, parents and guardians.
• Respects and embraces students of diverse backgrounds and experiences.
• Assist in the protection of students and property.
• Assists Principal or Vice Principal in fire and other emergency drills.
• Assists the Principal or Vice Principal in the management of students e.g. dismissal, field trips, etc...
• Maintains a high level of personal integrity, confidentiality and a strong work ethic.
• Participates in district professional development.
• Collaborates with high school program in retaining students when transitioning schools.
• Collaborates with high school jazz band.
I've been learning with Mike for nearly 2 years now. He took my guitar playing to the next level. I'd been playing for about 15 years before we met, and felt stuck at a certain level for a long time. Within the first couple lessons I noticed an immediate improvement. Mike has all the knowledge and if you apply it to your playing and practice you will absolutely become a better player. Great teacher, patient, wise, experienced and knows about all styles.
Mike has been giving weekly guitar lessons to my son for nearly two years now. I have seen tremendous progress in both my son's confidence and his level of skill since his first lesson. The assignments that Mike gives are age/skill level appropriate and his guidance has been amazing. I believe that he truly understands how to connect with his students in a way that focuses on their interests, strengths, and areas for growth. He is a patient, kind, and very knowledgeable teacher. I would highly recommend him as a teacher for anyone wishing to either learn a new instrument or become a more skilled musician!
Mike listens to me and puts together a lesson plan based not only on my skill level but most importantly on what I want to learn. He pushes me just enough to challenge me but not enough to discourage me.
He is a well versed teacher who know his stuff.
I have had a few teachers before Mike and he is by far the best. Grade is excellent.
music reading lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest guitar lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, acoustic guitar lessons for all!
Taking music theory lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||$50|
|5 hours||Not available||Not available||$250|
|10 hours||Not available||Not available||$500|