I consider education a gift, and so I'm giving back by tutoring young people, including students with learning difficulties or test anxiety, in ACT/SAT prep, AP US History, World History, English Literature and Language, school and college application essay writing, research methods and other academic subjects. I am relaxed, and have a good sense of humor. I enjoy working with my students, and the feeling tends to be mutual. I treat tests as games, where the student is pitted against the testing organization, and I give them the skills they need to beat the tricks the testers will pull. For academic tutoring, I try to infuse the students with my enthusiasm for the subject. My kind of expertise is expensive, but my customers find it worth the cost.
I have a Ph.D. from Harvard and a B.A. from Princeton in English literature. I had the amazing experience of teaching Expository Writing, Feminist Literary Theory, History and Structure of Language, 18th C. Literature and Etiquette and Ethics at Harvard. Later, I moved to the UK, and became a speechwriter, writer and editor, and have worked for illustrious clients all over the world.
Students can cancel without penalty up until the day before. They can switch a lesson to a different time any time up until I have to leave for the appointment. If I arrive at the destination and the student is not available, I will charge for travel time.
Writing and Academic Tutor
Bass Educational Services
Teaching high-school students with learning challenges how to succeed on the ACT and SAT standardized tests. Also helping evaluate course materials and update website.
Intensive tutoring in English Composition and Academic coursework for college students.
1996-Present Independent Writer, Speechwriter, Editor and Coach
For H.M. Queen Noor of Jordan
• Wrote, edited and/or polished more than 200 speeches, articles, prefaces, editorials and expert testimony, among them recently the Woodrow Wilson Award Lecture at the 100th Alumni Day at Princeton University.
• Researched and wrote on topics including Islam and the West, women’s rights, globalization, sustainable development, environmental conservation, refugees, health and economic empowerment, children, landmines, AIDS, philanthropy and business, the media, education, cross-cultural communication, compassionate leadership, conflict resolution, security and peace.
• Had two of Queen Noor’s speeches featured in Vital Speeches of the Day: “She Who Tells a Story” (Dec. 2013) and “Coalitions” (Sept. 2003)
• Penned speeches for varied venues including the White House, UN, The Hague, International Red Cross, International Union for the Conservation of Nature, World Bank, United World Colleges, Refugees International, Princeton, Harvard, Brown, Wellesley, William and Mary, and numerous other prominent universities, corporations, lecture series and conferences.
• Also drafted letters in support of Nobel Prize nominees, winners of numerous awards, and articles for magazines from Time to Glamour.
• Provided editorial help on her autobiography Leap of Faith
• Also worked on material for HM King Hussein and HRH Prince Hamzah
For Michael Brader-Araje, “venture philanthropist” and motivational speaker
• Wrote the speech launching “Donors Choose” educational philanthropy program in North Carolina, awarded “Most Innovative Non-Profit in the World” in the 2005 Amazon Challenge
• Wrote speeches on philanthropy, entrepreneurship and career paths
• “Why Give Back? – Believing in Others” was featured in Vital Speeches of the Day in 2005.
• Helped edit a policy plan for Erskine Bowles during his Senate run.
Other editorial and writing clients include: Harvard Business School; London Business School; Prof. Sarah Mavrinac, INSEAD Asia; Shelby Scarborough, President, Practical Protocol; several environmental consulting firms; Threads Magazine
Owner of TheTEDdoctor.com (website in development) – one-stop shop for writing, crafting, editing, polishing, graphic design, and coaching for TED-style talks and other presentations. Clients include Kris Dramby, Managing Meadows for Pollinators: Sustainable Benefits from Solar Fields
Currently in progress: The Cutting Edge Mystery Series – 6 mystery novels based on couture
1984-Present Independent Graphic Designer
Designed a wide range of presentation graphics, theatrical posters, programs, scenery pieces, video game art, internet memes, greeting cards and cartoons, including “Ned Worth,” a “Doonesbury”-style comic strip for the Harbus (Harvard Business School News).
2001-2014 Creative Director, Learning Designs, Inc., a private clearinghouse for speechwriting and consulting services. Wrote speeches, designed web site and other promotional materials.
Researched and wrote a biography, Legacy and Challenge: The Life of Dr. Ida B. Scudder (McNaughton & Gunn, 1994), commissioned by the Scudder Association. Research involved two trips to India, in 1987 and 1989, extensive interviews with the subject and others, and exhaustive work with primary source documents in the Schlesinger Library, Harvard.
Teaching Fellow, Harvard University
• Taught Expository Writing
• Designed and Co-Taught a course on Etiquette and Ethics with Professor Ralph Potter of the Harvard Divinity School
• Courses taught included: Feminist Theory, The History and Structure of Language, the 18th Century Novel
• Supervised Undergraduate Theses
Literary Agents’ Assistant, Writers House Literary Agency, New York
• Promoted to head agent’s assistant
• Read manuscripts and made recommendations to agents
• Staffed front desk
Assistant to Judith Martin, internationally syndicated author of the “Miss Manners” column. Compiled, helped edit and indexed her first three bestselling books:
• Miss Manners’ Guide to Excruciatingly Correct Behavior (1982)
• Miss Manners’ Guide to Rearing Perfect Children (1984) – also wrote the “Final Exam” that ends the book
• Miss Manners’ Guide for the Turn-of-the-Millennium (1989)
Selective agency matching clients with writers to create books, memoirs, speeches and other written work
Professional Speechwriters Association
Chaired a panel on Women in the Profession and participated in a panel on The Sustainable Speechwriter at the P.S.A. World Conference, October 2015
Washington Speechwriters Roundtable
New York Speechwriters and Leadership Communicators Roundtable
Quora Top Writer 2018, Quora Partner, Top-10 most read writer in Gender Relations
Harvard University 1994
Ph.D. in English and American Language and Literature
• Dissertation: “Polite Literature: Conduct Books and the Novel in 18th Century England”
• Conducted research in the Houghton Rare Books Library, Harvard
• Published article “The Joys of Social Intercourse” in Compendious Conversations ed. Kevin Cope (New York: Peter Lang, 1992)
• Tutor and Member of the Senior Common Room, Lowell House
• Inducted into the Signet Society arts and literature fellowship
Queen Mary College,
University of London Visiting Scholar in English Literature
• Conducted Research in the British Library and the Fawcett Library (now the Women’s Library)
Harvard University M.A. in English Literature
Princeton University Bachelor of Arts magna cum laude 1982
• Undergraduate Thesis: “’Rising into Gentility’: English Manners in Transition in the Novels of Fanny Burney, Jane Austen, and George Eliot
PRO BONO WORK:
2015 Steering Committee Member, Graphic Designer and Research Consultant WITstanding – Washington Women in Theater
2012 - Present Theatrical Reviewer
DC Metro Theater Arts
2010-present Publicity and Promotions Director
• Designed and produced theatrical posters and programs
• Coordinated and designed souvenir brochure for Playhouse’s 80th Anniversary Gala Montgomery Playhouse, Gaithersburg, MD
Research, Editing, Speech and Presentation Coaching, Web Site Design, Teaching Writing, Theatrical Direction
MS Word, Excel, Outlook, OneNote; Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Muse, Dreamweaver, Flash; Corel Painter; ZBrush
SAMPLES AND REFERENCES: on request
academic english lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest reading lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, literature lessons for all!
Taking essay writing lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|