Basically, my teaching is designed for the students and their interests. They are more important than following a book or videos. I strive to differentiate my lessons by helping the students remember what is important, and instill a desire to learn more about the topic. Because I speak several languages, it is easy for me to change my approach in order to appeal to all nationalities and ages, no matter what the subject matter--reading, writing, speaking and listening, or grammar. In addition, in test preparation classes, the students walk out the door fully prepared for success. Many students request my courses after taking just one semester.
Hello! Teaching and learning are my passions. With experience in both the international pharmaceutical industry and in teaching a range of language-related courses for over 20 years, both virtually and in the classroom, I love to see students become more capable and confident after each lesson. I have taught in industry settings and also in the classroom at colleges and universities. In targeting the objective of each student, I am able to help them achieve their goals.
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
More than 20 years of teaching English / Foreign Languages
• Experience teaching English, French, German, Spanish and Japanese to children and adults at all levels and disciplines
• Course creation and implementation; curriculum design experience
• Experience in creating inter-cultural sensitivity workshops
• Lived/worked abroad for 20 years
• International medical marketing background gained in the pharmaceutical industry
• Ability to teach Medical English
• Facility with standard software and Internet applications
• Professional interpersonal skills
• University of Texas at San Antonio 5/2009
Master of Arts TESOL (Teacher of English as a Second Language), GPA 4.0
Recipient of Fall 2008 Presidential Scholarship
• Brandeis University, Waltham, MA
Graduate work in Mediterranean Studies (classical Arabic, Islam, history, archeology)
• Trinity University, San Antonio, TX
Bachelor of Arts, Biology; Minor in Spanish
• Certified IELTS (International English Language Testing System) Examiner in 2009; certification includes speaking and writing tests.
TEACHING AND TRAINING EXPERIENCE
San Antonio College San Antonio, TX 8/2011-Present
• Teaching a variety of English Courses to students at beginning and advanced levels; Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening.
• Highly rated by student survey feedback
• Trained teaching interns
• Presentations made to local TESOL organizations; Training Teachers
Consultant for English Language Fellow (ELF) Program
San Antonio College San Antonio, TX 2/2013-1/2014
• Performed oral and written evaluations of candidates for overseas positions through Georgetown University sponsored by the State Department
Specialist/Department of ESL Services San Antonio, TX 5/2009-7/2011
The University of Texas at San Antonio
• Taught all levels in the Intensive English Program including courses in Reading, Writing, Oral Communications and TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
• Created innovative means for student expression including class videos posted on YouTube
• Contributed to Reading Curriculum Development Project
• Trained teaching interns and teaching assistants
Adjunct Faculty / Laboratory Coordinator San Antonio, TX 8/2008-5/2009
Alamo Colleges: Northwest Vista College
• Instructor of Reading &Conversation, Grammar, and Writing Classes
• Responsible for technical and teaching duties in lab; formed a “Culture Club” for students to practice social English and published a newsletter on ESL activities
• Performed a marketing analysis aimed at future recruitment and lead development of a promotional flyer for ESL
Teaching Assistant / Communications Specialist San Antonio, TX 8/2006-7/2008
University of Texas at San Antonio, Electrical and Computer Engineering Department.
• Designed and presented recitation lectures on business communication (writing, presentation, and interpersonal skills) to senior electrical engineers; rated consistently 4.5 out of 5 on class IDEA surveys by students
• Created educational / promotional brochures and booklets for departmental publicity and recruiting purposes
• Departmental writing consultant to faculty; edited faculty proposals and papers for publication
Certified Trainer/Seminar Leader Mission, Kansas 8/2002-12/2003
Fred Pryor/Career Track Corporation.
Day seminars on Leadership and Business Communication skills presented nationwide:
• “Grammar and Proofreading”
• “Business Writing for Results”
• “How to Handle Difficult People”
English Language Teacher/Consultant Munich, Germany 1/1990-4/2002
• Under contract to Hitachi Semi-Conductor Division, Avon Cosmetics, BMW, the Bavarian Chamber of Commerce and several language schools as a consultant / teacher / lecturer in English and English for Special Purposes, such as “Business English.”
• Created custom courses at Hitachi including “Intercultural Sensitivity for Japanese and Germans.”
• "English for the International Workplace” conducted at Avon: this course consisted of Germans, East Europeans and Turks
Ms. Costello was my teacher for two year in USA. She taught me english as an international student. Honestly, she is one of the best teachers I have ever had. I learned a lot from her, not only in English, but in many areas in my life. Even though one of my classes with her was a reading class, I learned reading, writing, listening, and speaking in that same class. This is how she was so great in teaching. She helped and guide me a lot during my time in USA. One of the best things that I learned from her is to master the presentation skills, which indeed helped me a lot in my master degree and also in my career. Many thanks to this unique teacher for all of the wonderful things that I learned from her. I wish her all the best and I will always be thankful to her.
She is an excellent teacher. I learned a lot in her English classes. I highly recommend to take a class with her. Her classes are very dynamic and you do not have time to get bored. Additionally, at the end of the semester she has a tradition, eveybody in the class brings a traditional dish because her classes are multicultural. She appreciates different cultures and different traditions and also she is willing to learn from her students as well.
The best professor I’ve ever met. Friendly and teaches in a fun way. Highly recommended.
I loved her classes, she is very good explaining and her classes are fun. I learned a lot from Mrs. Carol.
Mrs Costello is one of the best teachers I have ever had during my undergrad. She is super friendly and she makes every session unique. Her class helped me develop a broader vocabulary. I will totally recommend her as a tutor.
You are one of the remarkable and idealistic teacher that I have been knew .
She is thest english teacher I ever had. She's pretty nice and make her class very interesting. She explains everything well and make you feel confident.
She is a great teacher very kind and generous
She’s a great teacher very patient explain slowly efficiently
One of my favorite teachers that I will never forgot how she taught me what I need to get ready for college level
academic english lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest Test prep to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, oral expression lessons for all!
Taking sat prep lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|