- Hourly rate $41
- Response Time 3h
- Number of students 50+
1st lesson free!
Learn/Improve 3D Modelling And 3D Printing - "Tradigital Artist" Professional I Will Teach You
- at his home
- at your home
We host the best tutors. Quality of their profile, experience in their field. James will be happy to arrange your first lesson Graphic design.
About the lesson
- Blender 2.80
- 3DS Max 2019
- Substance Painter/Designer
- Traditional Drawing
- 3D Printing
With each individual learner, I try to find what they want. Be it a qualification, entry to an art college or their own personal or commercial aims. Learners in the past have been really pleased with their experiences.
Past students have included artists, directors, illustrators, game makers and also enthusiasts.
I am a professional artist/designer so I have to keep up with all the latest tools. You can be sure you will get the most relevant information from me. I have years of experiences of running workshops with 3D graphics and also teaching online.
- Graphic design
- 3D Modelling
- 3D Printing
Game Art Design
- Elementary School
- Middle School
Advanced Technical Certificate
Hi I am James, I am a "tradigital" artist based near Glasgow.
I love helping others to achieve their 3D goals and to inspire them on their own creative journeys.
I graduated in Interior Design (applied design) from Edinburgh College of Art in 1999 and since then I worked in the 3D graphics industry making visualisations for architects, engineers, and entertainment companies. I still do freelance work in these sectors today. As well as that I produce my own products and art, I have been featured in two two page articles about me in the international 3D World magazine and I have had two short animated films featured in Channel 4 film festivals.
Over the past few years, I have been working at FabLabs. I did art residencies in Fabrication Labs in Montreal, London and Iceland and recently finished a contract working at a FabLab in North Devon. This has made me an expert with 3D printing, Lasercutting and Vinyl Cutting.
I advocate traditional drawing and I have been making a #draweveryday for the last few years on Instagram and Twitter.
In my spare time, I love world travel, swimming and films. I took up inline skating half a year ago and love this new sport too :)
Perfect! The 30 minute free lesson was great! It was my first time having a one on one tutor lesson and James was understanding and I felt confident he could help me in the future if I needed any advice with my project.
- James's response : Hi Jon, was great to help you and check out the process. If you need help in the future, I do 30 minutes or an hour to solve any issues for your project. Thanks, James.
Perfect! James is really good at spotting where to fix problems. He is clearly experienced and really easy to deal with. Absolutely will work with him again.
- James's response : Hi Brid, thanks very much for the great review :) Just keep working on Blender a little each day or so. The project you made with lip synching is quite advanced if you are just getting into Blender so well done! :)
Perfect! Fantastic teacher! Super flexible and proactive
- James's response : Pierre is a great student, he is keen and ambitious for his future 3D learning goals.
Perfect! James was an excellent tutor in my first couple Blender lessons - he listened carefully to my goals and planned ahead of our tutorials to make sure my goals were achieved. He is very knowledgeable and personable - highly recommended!
- James's response : James is learning Blender very quickly and picking up the main concepts of modelling, UV mapping, texturing and exporting to a real-time project he is working on. It was great to work with him and in the future too if he should require :)
Excellent! James was a very good explainer, and I found him to be engaging and friendly
- James's response : Freddie was a good learner. He is interested in recreating scenes from photos in Blender. He has a good understanding of 3D techniques and modelling already due to his creative design background in film/cad design. Keep up the good work!
Perfect! James was really flexible and willing to walk me through how he would tackle a specific project. He also sent links to different add on's I could download that would improve the final result which was great!
- James's response : Jessica has some great ideas about making organic forms in Blender and will pick Blender up in not time as she has previous CAD knowledge in other applications.
Perfect! I have worked with James for a number of hours now, and he has been able to clearly answer and instruct me on every question and challenge with utmost patience. He is also quite diligent in preparing for the tutoring session and being well informed about the details of the particular software and Hardware. It is definitely enjoyable learning and working with him.
- James's response : Thanks Papaha, for the sessions. You are doing well with 3D so far with cool ideas about using 3d graphics and 3d print technologies for real life art projects. I hope you manage to find out the issue with your 3D printer. I am sure the forum link will help!
Perfect! James quickly got to grips with what I needed to learn and provided direct guidance showing great working knowledge of Blender. Very happy to recommend to people of all levels.
- James's response : Hi Joseph thank you for the great review :) It will be good to tutor you again. I think you have all the main concepts for 3D from when you used it a few years ago. Not much really has changed in my opinion with many concepts. Only the hardware and node based workflow which I wasn't keen on when it changed to start with but love it now! Speak soon, thanks, James.
Perfect! Great teacher. Very patient and always giving better and easier solutions. I highly recommend him
- James's response : Nora is a great student. She is learning Blender very quickly = keep up the good work :)
Perfect! Absolutely fantastic introduction to sculpting in Blender. James seems extremely adaptable to help with creative issues whether it be fine Art in many mediums, industry professional 3D work or just about anything else!
- James's response : Thanks Craig for taking the session. Loads of great creative idea, with some practice or some sessions from me you will be able to get flowing with making sculptural things etc in Blender. Here is the video I told you about - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsGZ_2RuJ2A Thanks!
Perfect! A+++++ tutor with substance painter and all things 3d
- James's response : I have been tutoring Charlie with Substance Designer as part of his 3D design pipeline. He is learning very quickly and his designs already look great in Substance!
Perfect! James provided me with plenty of help to learn Substance Painter. I hope to work with this tutor again soon
- James's response : Chris is a pro 3D person and needs some help with Substance Painter to learn it as fast as possible for his real-time work. Great student and good help him out to get the best solution for his goals.
Perfect! James is an amazing teacher and artist. The best part of the lessons was that he took the time to answer a few extra questions after the lesson and sent me resources so that I could continue learning on my own and made sure that I knew what I was doing with my project to complete it well. I highly recommend to anyone interested in learning about 3d modeling, blender, unity etc!
- James's response : Valentina is a very great student. She had some programming 3D experience as well as 3D creation so she was able to understand advanced techniques that I was trying to explain to her about a 3D rigging process very well.
Perfect! James is a great tutor, he has been teaching me online Blender, but he teaches other 3D modeling programs as well. He is super experienced, patient, thorough and kind, and I've learned a lot. Thanks, James! Highly recommend!
- James's response : Rebecca is a great student. I am teaching her how to make concept 3D scenes using Blender.
Perfect! James is a fantastic tutor. I have been learning 3D animation with him, I have a background in editing but this is the first time I have ever created any 3D effects. He has made it really simple and enjoyable to learn, the experience is very instinctive and I feel like I am learning organically and effectively. James has taken time to understand what I want to achieve and tailors each of my classes to meet the end goal; I am learning Blender and James has recommended other open software for me to create the work I want to create.
- James's response : Stella is great to tutor. I am teaching her some basics with Blender for some of her own video projects. She picks things up very quickly and is very polite and as she is a professional, I am really glad that I am showing how Blender can help add to her creative tools to fulfil her own commercial and personal projects!
View more reviews
James offers excellent teaching. When we started I could barely start a computer and now after a relatively short period of time I am working on massive Blender projects. I appreciate our easy communication and good tips that James gave to me.
James is a talented 3D artist with a whole lot of tricks and info to share.
James has been a life saver and fitted in wherever we have needed him inside our Creative and Digital Arts Team. James has a long history of self-motivated projects and is easy to talk to. James has always shown a willingness to improve his skills and is always clued up about the latest industry trends and software
View more recommendations
- 5h: $207
- 10h: $414
- + $$7
My rates remain the same for all levels. Some negotiation with price is considered depending on amount of lessons etc.
Find out more about James
Can you tell us about your first experience using a computer?
My first experience using a computer. I was about 8, my parents bought me and my sister a Spectrum 128. I didn't get into using art with a computer until about 1990, I was about 13. I had an Atari ST then :) One of the magazines at the time had a free cover disc with art/designs applications on it. I remember there was an animation one on it where you could draw 2D shapes and make them move.
As a tradigital artist/designer, I have been traditional drawing all my life too and see this as still one of the most important tools.
What is the technological evolution that has marked you most and what will be, in your eyes, a turning point in this field?
Realtime 3D viewports in modelling packages such as 3DS Max and latterly Eevee in Blender.
Explain your expertise, your interest in it and, more broadly, its importance in the computer world.
Realtime helps you to edit things with real world reactions instantly such as shadows, physics etc. It makes you feel like you are making art rather than technical wireframe work.
Do so-called 'visionaries', such as Bill Gates, Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg inspire you or do you have other role models?
No, they don't really interest me. I am more interested in artists and designers who inspire me such as Isamu Noguchi. I am an artist/designer who tutors 3D app such as Blender and 3DS Max as well as using traditional art methods and combining this.
Sometimes when we use computers as one of our tools, people bundle everyone into the "techy" category not so.
Provide a valuable anecdote related to your subject or your days at school.
My art and design teacher suggested to me that art and design was my strongest subject. I was insulted at the time, seeing art as a silly subject, ha ha.
What would you say to an uncomfortable person in front of a screen who says that "IT is too complicated"?
Try software that is more creative such as 3D or 2D if you don't like coding.
What are your other passions, related or non-related to computers?
I love outdoor swimming, chess, making things in the real world, I draw everyday and I like World travel.
What makes you a Superprof in IT?
I have been tutoring on Superprof for a few years now. I find the quality of students great. For example, other sites I have tutored on, many of the students who want a trial session fail to turn up. Whereas on Superprof the student pretty much always shows up and often goes on to take paid tuition work from me. I also like the booking system and general layout of the site.
Superprof is also very reliable. They respond to any queries very quickly and always pay on time.