Gardiner's Theory of Multiple Intelligences is something I love to refer to. All students can learn, but sometimes we really need to tap into their strengths to be able to develop areas they struggle in. While I teach reading- and writing-intensive classes, it's important to still use a hands-on approach.
I am an English teacher who understands the desperation of parents struggling with online education and am familiar with several online platforms public schools are using. I have a professional background in writing and editing through working for an archiving and technology company for the past five years as well as editing manuscripts for the past ten years. I recently acquired my MA for secondary English Education, but I've never shied away from any subject. I am passionate about instilling the love of literature, the English language, and importance of quality communication in students.
Western Governors University | Salt Lake City, UT
Masters of Arts in English Education (Secondary) Anticipated: Spring 2020
Webster University | St. Louis, MO
Bachelor of Arts in Creative Writing, minor in Professional Writing 2013
East Central College | Union, MO
Associate of Arts in General Education 2010
Outstanding Student Employee Award
East Central College
Washington High School| Washington, MO
Student Teacher January – April 2020
Enhanced teaching techniques and grew significantly as a teacher and leader through teaching high school English classes.
• Taught multiple sections of English I (grade 9) and American Literature (grades 11-12) daily.
• Created engaging lesson plans aligned to state standards.
• Collaborated with host teacher and English department regularly to develop lesson and teaching plans, including contingency plans for schools closing due to COVID-19.
• Effectively managed a classroom with 25 students each hour, including a very challenging 9th grade class.
• Managed online learning once COVID-19 officially closed schools.
• Easily adapted to different teaching situations within the classroom and online.
• Provided supplemental grammar and mechanics lessons such as sentence diagramming and sentence construction drills to help an AP Language class become more fluent in basic language skills.
Gasconade County R2 School District | Owensville, MO January 2014 – May 2015
Taught full time and accepted all substitute teaching jobs, no matter what class or teacher needed a substitute teacher.
• Taught variety of grade levels, core classes, special education classes, Art, P.E, and Music.
• Taught as a long-term substitute teacher for home economics class.
• Promoted and engaged in positive relationships with students and staff.
• Maintained flexibility moving between classrooms under special circumstances, such as during a flu epidemic.
• Adapted teaching to student learning by cultivating relationships to better reach them.
• Was frequently requested by teachers and students for subbing classes.
Assistant Soccer Coach Spring 2015
Accepted the request from Owensville High School to assist in coaching soccer for the new girls’ soccer team.
• Brought skill and leadership to a maiden team.
• Developed relationships with students and head coach to, facilitated practices, and coached the JV team.
• Continued development of skills in students coached previously during club soccer, encouraging and mentoring them as they acquired new skills.
• Assisted in teaching the basics of soccer technique, skill development, and teamwork.
• Embraced the extra-curricular schedule of games, practices, and time with the students.
Jubilee Church | Washington, MO
Sunday School Coordinator 2018 – Present
Collaborate innovatively with a leadership team to provide support to teachers, students, and parents, and administer engaging lessons specific to student age groups.
• Coordinate teachers and lessons every week.
• Initiate conversations and meetings with teachers to keep communication open and forthcoming.
• Engage regularly with leadership to integrate and implement new teaching designs for modernization.
Sunday School Teacher 2005 – Present
Taught Sunday school volunteer on a monthly or bi-monthly rotation for fifteen years, providing a safe, fun environment for children to learn about the Bible.
• Taught multiple age groups.
• Provide for the well-being of children during church.
• Innovate standard lessons for better student engagement.
Private Tutor 2019
Created and implemented weekly lessons to teach basic English skills such as grammar, spelling, word distinction, and reading comprehension to an adult struggling with learning disabilities.
Horseback Riding Instructor 2014 – Present
Coach horses and riders in the art of English and Western riding and showing, which includes adapting to the mood of horse and rider, staying calm and resolving dangerous situations, as well as drilling, modeling, and confidence building.
• Instruct students of a variety of ages including small children and adults in the care and riding of horses.
• Implement safety procedures and handling expectations and design lessons around them for the safety and well-being of both horse and rider.
• Instruct students in development of teamwork between the student and horse as they work to achieve goals.
RELATED EXPERIENCE/CURRENT EMPLOYMENT
Anderson Technologies | St. Louis, MO June 2015 – Present
Content Imaging Specialist
Specialize in digitizing historical documents for clientele wishing for them to be readable by computer, developed into websites, and available digitally in general.
• Handle historical documents, perform document imaging, cleanup, optical character recognition proofing.
• Write and copy edit content for blogs, marketing, and technical writing in a team environment.
• Develop WordPress websites.
• Apply extreme attention to detail for many hours at a time.
• Peer edit and review all written content, website development, and document imaging.
• Stay current with technology for technical content writing.
• Comply strictly to client specifications including confidentiality agreements.
Freelance Editor | Self-employed part time 2014 – Present
Edit a variety of manuscripts electronically using Microsoft Word and Google Docs.
• Coach authors in writing, developing, and polishing their manuscripts, from first draft to completed copy.
• Experienced with fiction, nonfiction, autobiographies, and professional documents.
• Specialize in line-by-line and content editing.
• Familiar with Chicago Manual of Style, the AP Stylebook, and MLA format.
• Familiar with Scrivener and Google Drive.
Exceptional Equestrians | Washington, MO January 2018 – Present
Volunteer at a nonprofit equine therapy facility to help adults and children who have minor and severe disabilities ride horses in a safe environment during weekly lessons facilitated by highly trained staff.
• Learned to effectively work with mentally and physically handicapped people in an equestrian setting.
• Lead and line drive horses during lessons while staying extremely tuned to any possible dangerous situation and responding to tasks given by the instructor.
• Collaborate with a team to ensure the safety and successful participation of the clients.
• Ride, exercise, and school horses as directed by staff.
Soccer Coach | Gerald, MO 2012 – 2016
Coached high school-aged girls’ club soccer and completed several winning seasons as a volunteer head coach.
• Administrated practices three times per week for up to ten weeks in a row.
• Designed practices for ball handling skills, endurance, and team participation and appreciation.
• Successfully managed the team with and without an assistant coach.
• Focused on teamwork extensively, including using team-building techniques without soccer balls.
• Coordinated each player’s skills for successful interaction on the soccer field.
• Additionally refereed soccer games for ages 5-18 for two seasons (2010-2011).
Overseas Missions Work
Participated in Newfrontiers’ Life Change Team to Turkey, ten days of experiencing another culture, learning what the Church is doing in that specific country, and volunteering at the local church or other local organizations.
• Helped with grounds management and cleanup at local churches and organizations.
• Studied the Turkish culture and assimilated to cultural norms and expectations.
• Engaged in meaningful interaction with the Turkish locals and Iranian, Syrian, and Afghani refugees.
Travelled to Nepal to visit dear friends and volunteer at their Bible schools, children’s homes, and otherwise help them and support them with anything they might need.
• Organized a clothing and medical supplies drive before leaving the States and brought the supplies to a children’s home.
• Worked under leadership for over two weeks when teaching through interpreters and volunteering at a Bible school.
• Provided emotional and physical support for long-term missionaries.
• Explored culture, assimilated, and embraced the Nepali way of life for three weeks.
For three months, worked with a team to serve local YWAM bases, bring aid and supplies to people groups deep in the Himalayas, and learn the Nepali culture.
• Readied a facility for habitation.
• Learned stories specifically formulated for oral storytelling and told them to groups of children on mountainsides through interpreters.
• Helped in children’s homes.
• Wrote biographies for orphans for sponsorship purposes.
• Published in Letters from the Heart anthology.
• Published in the East Central College Literary Review.
• Publish blog posts on personal freelance-editing website (concealed information)
• Tau Sigma Honor Society
• Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society
I recommend Beth as a teacher for many different reasons!
- She is one of those people who does what she says she'll do. If you schedule something with her, she will be there!
-She is very well-rounded on the piano, and plays beautifully
-I've brought her songs she has never seen, and her sight reading is good enough that she can play it out pretty quickly so that I can hear it (which helps me so much!).
-She is a very consistent person
-She has experience teaching. And by that, I mean she has experience teaching so many things. Because she has taught so much in so many different things, she can tackle many problems from many angles.
Piano is an amazing interest, and taking classes with Beth will help make you a better musician--both in (music) theory and (piano) practice!
Beth gives 100% effort all the time. With devout determination to her students, she holds the highest standard while patiently offering instruction.
academic english lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest literature lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, creative writing lessons for all!
Taking essay writing lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|