My academic expertise and personable teaching style, coupled with my 20 years of private tutoring experience and my work in the test prep industry, enable me to provide effective and engaging instruction. I get to know each student's learning style, personality, areas of academic difficulty, and strengths so that I can target areas of weakness while capitalizing on each student's strengths. I focus on a stepwise, methodical approach to make math & science problems much more manageable.
After winning 1st place in PA in math competitions, I served as the Assistant Coach for Germantown Friends School's MathCounts team. In that capacity, I taught small math classes and offered one-on-one help to students. From there, I began private tutoring and discovered the efficacy of tailoring my instruction to each individual learner. After graduating as the top student in my major (microbiology: 3.99 GPA), I began tutoring science and test prep as well.
In addition to my work as a tutor, I write practice SAT and ACT questions for a test prep company, and so I am very familiar with the types of questions and answer choices on those tests, as well as the content and strategies needed to ace the tests.
Unlike many tutors who are only now transitioning to online platforms due to the coronavirus, I have years of experience tutoring online.
My rates vary by subject, level, and school tutoring vs. standardized test prep, as those factors all affect how much (unpaid) out-of-class work is required on my end. Except in cases of emergency, sudden illness, or sudden loss of internet (e.g. from inclement weather), I require 24 hours notice to cancel or reschedule an appointment.
2001-present Private Tutor Self-Employed
• Teach math, science, English, law, music, standardized test prep, and study skills.
2016-2017 Middle School Math Teacher Cheder Chabad of Philadelphia
• Taught pre-algebra and honors algebra classes.
• Developed accelerated curricula
2009-2010 Regulatory Analyst & Contracts Administrator Mount Airy Casino Resort
• Wrote and reviewed contracts, riders, amendments and requests for proposals.
• Wrote and edited submissions to the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board.
2007-2008 Legal Research Assistant The Dickinson School of Law
• Edited books and articles, checked citations.
• Performed legal research for use in books, articles and interviews.
2005-2006 SAT Teacher Kaplan Test Prep
• Taught summer courses concerning math, reading and writing skills.
2006-2009 The Dickinson School of Law University Park, PA
GPA: 3.66; Class Rank: 12/176 (top 7 percent) J.D., May 2009
• Penn State Environmental Law Review, Articles Editor
Article selected for publication in the Fall 2008 issue.
• Awards: Woolsack Honor Society; Dean’s Scholarship; Legal Analysis, Research &
Writing; Law, Science & Policy; Law & Medicine; ABA/BNA Health Law Award;
Corporations; Probate Practice.
2002-2006 The Pennsylvania State University - Schreyer Honors College University Park, PA
Major: Microbiology; Minors: (1) Italian, (2) Biochemistry B.S., May 2006
GPA: 3.99; Class Rank: Top student in the Microbiology major
• Braddock Scholarship: full four-year merit scholarship for the top ten science students.
• Awards: President’s Freshman Award, Evan Pugh Scholar Award, Excellence in Italian.
2003-2006 Board Member & Article Writer Science Lions
• Wrote kid-friendly articles for newspaper publication, developed science lessons.
2002-2006 Webmaster, Listserv Manager and Treasurer Penn State Microbiology Club
• Wrote content for club website.
• Maintained financial records and listserv, prepared budgets, ran fundraisers.
1998-2002 Math Teacher & Academic Tutor Germantown Friends School
• Taught middle and high school math and science.
Other Interests: Music, dancing, art, cooking, chess, math & logic.
Cynthia helped my son in math for high school and also on his SAT. I never thought that his grades or SAT score would increase so drastically but, with her help, they did! She was very communicative with me and really tailored the sessions to my son's learning style and exactly what he needed help with. Highly recommend!!!
Cynthia is a caring tutor who checks in with the student’s parents after each session to let the parents know the student’s progress. She takes a personal interest in her students and is a pleasure to work with. My son actually enjoyed his sessions with her!
mathematics lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest trigonometry lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, chemistry lessons for all!
Taking geometry lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||$60|