I believe the classroom is a living community and that everyone must contribute in order to maintain a positive atmosphere. All students are individual and everyone learns in their own unique way. I learn from students as much as they learn from me. One way I emphasize my teaching style is to incorporate regular feedback from students. For example, I ask students to fill out a survey at the beginning of the semester, the questionnaires include their goal, special needs, and culture, then they will have a mid-course evaluation of the class, in which they reflect on the course goals and provide feedback on whether or not the course is helping them meet these goals thus far. Students provide useful information for me on what is working in class, and what I can improve upon. I believe we never stop learning, and I want my students to know we can learn from each other.
I am a graduate student at Teachers College Columbia University in Mathematics Education, Initial Certificate. I have a teacher's license. I have more than 10 years of tutoring experience. I tutored both individual and group students. I have one year of classroom teaching experience.
Teachers College, Columbia University
Master of Arts in Mathematics Education (7-12), Initial Certificate, Cumulative GPA: 3.99/4.0 Sep 2019 - Dec 2020
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Aug 2017 - May 2019
Bachelor of Science in Statistics and Analytics; 2nd major in Mathematics, Cumulative GPA: 3.74/4.0
Borough of Manhattan Community College Jan 2015 - May 2017
Associate of Science in Mathematics, Cumulative GPA: 3.88/4.0
New York State Initial Certification in Mathematics Education, Grade 7 – 12, Pending (Expected February 2021)
HONORS / AWARDS
MAA MathFest 2017 Undergraduate Student Award, Icarus Prize for Mathematics, Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society, Student Mentor 11th Annual Academic Award, JMM 2017 Undergraduate Student Research Award, CUNY Research Scholars Program, Merit-Based Award, MSEIP Research Scholarship, Summer Math Contest Second Prize, Award of Noyce Scholars, Dean`s Lists.
WORK EXPERIENCE and Leadership
PS. 184 Shuang Wen School, New York, Student Teacher and Substitute Teacher, Grade 7 and 8 Oct 2020 - present
● Collaborated with the host teacher for online teaching, led breakout room discussion in Zoom and monitored google classroom
● Created lesson plans in accordance with state curriculum and school wide curriculum standard.
● Incorporated technology into lesson plans to provide students with interactive learning tools.
● Note: After I completed my student teaching hours, I started as Substitute Teacher in the school.
Thurgood Marshall Academy High School, New York, Student Teacher, Grade 9 Sep 2019 - June 2020
● Implemented lesson plans and provided a class instruction collaboration with host teacher.
● Differentiated instruction using small group lessons according to student ability and skill level to meet the individual needs.
● Participated in parent-teacher conferences and monitored google classroom, assessed students’ work.
East Chapel Hill High School, North Carolina, Observation and student teacher, Grade 9 and 10 Jan 2018 - May 2018
● Assisted cooperating teachers with classroom management and learned techniques for assisting students with special needs
● Created and implemented lesson plans in line with school curriculum standard.
Borough of Manhattan Community College, Teacher Assistant Sep 2015 - May 2017
● Assisted instructor with classroom instruction when conducting curriculum-based group lessons and record keeping.
● Organized 4-8 students into groups to better explain textual concepts and aided students with their homework out of class.
● Conducted comprehensive test review sessions which contributed to an increase of more than 15% in some students' grades.
Borough of Manhattan Community College, New York, Math Tutor Sep 2015 - May 2020
• Provided one-on-one and group tutoring for Algebra, Calculus and Statistics.
• Assisted peer students to develop efficient study strategies that significantly improved their grades and confidence.
Peer Mentoring Program Student Affairs, Borough of Manhattan Community College, Mentor Aug 2016 - May 2017
● Shared experiences to motivate new students, set goals and empowered to chart their own course to success.
● Assisted new students to adjust the college environment and provided interactive activities and resources to promote learning.
● Listened to mentee`s difficulties and provided resources to solve their problems.
RESEARCH / PROJECT
Quantum State Tomography, National Institute of Standards and Technology May 2019 - Aug 2019
● Simulated measurements of a single qubit and then used the data to estimate the state of the qubit.
● Applied the maximum likelihood algorithm to maximizes the likelihood of the state given experimental results.
● Tested a Bayesian method, implemented in the QInfer package.
● Constructed confidence intervals using Bootstrap-based method and calculated credible intervals using Bayesian method
Residential Properties Data Analysis, Course Project, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Aug 2018 - Dec 2018
● Explored and analyzed data for D.C. Residential Properties using different plot methods in RStudio.
● Used statistical techniques to establish a mathematical model and conducting reports for the project.
Particles in a Box with one Sticky Wall from ODE to PDE, CUNY Research Scholars Program Aug 2016 - Aug 2017
● Developed mathematical models of the processes (the filter mechanisms) involved with R.
● Simulated how tea leaves can be used to remove pollutants from contaminated water.
● Published in Primus - Taylor & Francis math journal at 14 Jun 2018.
● Presented in Mathematical Association of America MAA MathFest 2017 in Chicago. (Oral Presenter)
● Presented at CUNY Annual Undergraduate Research Symposium. (Poster Presenter).
Statistical Analysis and Mathematical Model, Minority Science Engineering Improvement Program. May 2016 - Jan 2017
● Collected and analyzed data on major airlines’ stock prices and oil prices from 1986 to 2016.
● Applied multiple regression models to analyze airlines’ stock prices and oil prices using Excel.
● Presented in Mathematical Association of America 2017 Joint Mathematics Meetings in Atlanta & Research Symposium.
SKILLS / LANGUAGE
● Proficient in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, R/RStudio and Python.
● Fluent in Cantonese (Native speaker), Mandarin and English.
mathematics lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest algebra lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, geometry lessons for all!
Taking statistics lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||$45|
|5 hours||Not available||Not available||$225|
|10 hours||Not available||Not available||$450|