- Hourly rate $40
- Response Time 2h
- Number of students 37
Online French tutor available now. Improve your listening and conversation skills for exams, work and holidays.
- Saffron Walden
- at her home
- at your home
We host the best tutors. Quality of their profile, experience in their field. Marianne will be happy to arrange your first lesson French.
About the lesson
French is my first language. I offer on line private tutoring.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
French (as a foreign, first or second language)
- Tell me about your qualifications.
I have completed a Master Degree M1 in linguistics & French.
Qualified Teacher in Training and Skills (QTLS) status
Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training
French Diploma in Teaching French as a foreign language
French Law Degree
- How much do you charge?
The first lesson (about 30 minutes) is to evaluate your level and discuss your aims. This is free.
Then lessons cost £30/hour.
- Where do you teach?
- When are you available?
Please check for availability.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
Levels: from complete beginners to advanced
Ages: from 11 years old upwards.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
GCSEs, AS and A level, university language courses, DELF-DALF (A1-1, A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, C2), TEF, eTEFaq
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
During a consultation session on the phone, we will discuss about your level, objectives, contents, frequency and duration of the lessons as well as your availability. Payment will have to be made prior to the lessons. The on-line lessons will be on Zoom on the day and time discussed.
- Do you have a personal message for students?
We start from your actual level and progress forward, building your confidence, expanding your vocabulary, bridging gaps in knowledge, with many different activities that you enjoy. If your objective is to have fun, then we have fun. If you have an exam to pass, then this is our objective.
Contact me for a free initial discussion about your level and your objectives.
- Middle School
Advanced Technical Certificate
ILR Level 0
ILR Level 1
ILR Level 2
ILR Level 3
ILR Level 4
ILR Level 5
- What kind of experience do you have?
French language tutor from my home, in students' homes, adult education services, language schools and businesses
Language group class organiser and tutor
Course co-ordinator and French tutor at the Alliance FranÃ§aise
Secondary school French assistant
Primary school French teacher
Teacher at a French-speaking supplementary school
Translator and proof-reader English-French
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
Enhanced certificate 2017
- Where and with whom did you train?
The Diploma to teach French as a foreign language from the Alliance FranÃ§aise in Paris gave me valuable professional training as a 1-2-1 and group tutor. Working at the Alliance FranÃ§aise gave me the opportunity to further professional training in the UK, France and Netherlands.
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
Member of the Society for education and Training
- Tell me about some of your current students.
Students preparing for GCSE and A Level exams.
Adults planning to become translators.
Adults who work or have property in France.
Perfect! Having suspended my french studies for several years I was keen to restart before I forgot everything, Marianne assessed my level very quickly and suggested reading a novel as a good way forward - which I think is an excellent idea. I am sure I will make good progress under her guidance.
- Marianne's response : Vous avez une très bonne base Martin. Nous allons développer et réviser vos connaissances pour que vous soyez plus à l'aise dans une conversation ad lib!
Perfect! Marianne has been a fantastic tutor and has helped me enormously with my spoken French. All of our sessions have been really well structured and organised, even if I was not sure what exactly I wanted to work on, as Marianne always has suggestions for how to use the lesson. Every minute is filled, and we get through so much in each lesson. I found Marianne's approach really helpful for my speaking, as we would have a free-flowing conversation and then go through corrections and explanations after. That really allowed me to 'go for it' and get lots of practice in. I have developed a lot of confidence in the last few months, and just really enjoyed my lessons overall- merci Marianne!
- Marianne's response : J'ai beaucoup aimé discuter avec vous! Vous êtes un peu rouillée, mais le flot va vite se rétablir au fil de nos leçons. Et c'est seulement "comment dire" (le contenant) qui vous échappe de temps en temps. Par contre, vous savez "quoi dire"(le contenu) ! Bravo! Continuez comme cela et vous vous débrouillerez très bien.
Perfect! As usual my lesson was clear and more importantly fun.
- Marianne's response : Vous progressez très bien, Krista. Vous savez raconter des évènements qui se sont déroulés dans le passé, comme vous l'avez fait avec l'extrait d'un film. Continuez comme vous le faites, et n'oubliez pas la dernière syllabe des mots ou des phrases est plus longue. N'oubliez pas non plus la prononciation de "er"="ez"="é". Bonne continuation!
Perfect! Marianne is an excellent teacher! She is super organised and I really enjoy my lessons with Marianne. I recommend Marianne to anyone who wants to learn French!
- Marianne's response : Well done for remembering vocabulary, pronunciation and sentences from your former training. You pick up words and use them again in your own sentences, which is fantastic. I am looking forward to showing you more in our future lessons. Continue like your are doing now and you will do very well indeed. Kind regards, Marianne
Perfect! Marianne is a very patient and engaging tutor. She really improved my son's grammar and conversation. Very reliable and highly recommended.
- Marianne's response : Your son is a pleasure to work with. He has ideas and asks questions when necessary. When he picks up a new word, he uses it quickly after. The best recipe to progress in a language! I am looking forward to helping him progress with his French. Kind regards, Marianne
Perfect! Enjoyed a well planned lesson. Thanks!
- Marianne's response : Bravo Catherine! Vous vous êtes très bien présentée. Vous comprenez bien le texte que nous avons lu ensemble. Vous allez faire des progrès très rapidement. Cordialement, Marianne
Perfect! Marianne is teaching me French online since I live in Denmark. She is an excellent communicator, we have absolutely no problems whatsoever in terms of learning a language and not being even in the same country! She is a very pleasant person and good at making me feel comfortable with the language but still correcting me and teaching - which is of course why you have a tutor :) You can really tell that she has a long experience teaching and that it's not like a side gig or something because she just happens to be a native speaker. I like that she varies her teaching between watching a short clip, reading a little bit and then speaking. Also, I really like how she actually texts and speaks to me in french, it really makes it easier to get familiar with words and pronunciations. All in all, I highly recommend Marianne to anyone who are serious about learning French in a pleasant setting!
- Marianne's response : Hi Jasmin, I am looking forward to working with you. Your knowledge of 4 other languages will help you learn quickly. I am happy with your understanding during our first lesson. Your pronunciation so far is good. I will send you today the google doc so you can get working on your own. Cordialement.
Perfect! Marianne prepared for the first lesson very well which was a very good start for Annie, thank you, Marianne.
- Marianne's response : At the end of our first lesson, Annie was able to recognise pictures of objects, pronounce the words correctly, write and read them correctly. Altogether, we have studied 16 words and 3 sentences, which is a very good start for a complete beginners. Annie needs to practise on Quizlet to remember the meaning, pronunciation and spelling of the words. A very good start, well done Annie!
Perfect! Marianne is an excellent tutor. She is encouraging, supportive and I feel very comfortable around her. I enjoy every lesson and look forward to improving my French even more.
- Marianne's response : Lizzie, you are very motivated and your progress is steady and regular. You take on board every suggestion and challenge. Your pronunciation is good and will keep improving as you repeat after Tendances' DVD and CD. A tip to progress: un homme is pronounced as un Nomme, un hôtel as un Notel, un ami as un Nami. Keep working as you do and you will do very well!
Perfect! Having found Marianne's details online, I asked if she could spend time with my teenage son at very short notice in the run up to his French GCSE mock exams. She was very willing to help and to find a time convenient to us both. My son instantly felt very comfortable and at ease with Marianne. She made him feel welcome and quickly tuned into his level of french and current GCSE requirements. The feedback given after each lesson provided very helpful insight into the lesson focus for me as a parent. I have recommended Marianne to friends and would definitely return to her as a french tutor in the future.
- Marianne's response : I hope that the listening mock went well. It was very nice to meet your son and I am always happy to help him if he needs help with his French. Kind regards, Marianne
Perfect! Marianne has been extremely helpful. She understands my needs perfectly and my preferred style of learning. The lessons are enjoyable and therefore I am learning quickly whilst having fun. I like Marianne's encouraging style whilst ensuring I maintain high standards.
- Marianne's response : Hi Ann, you are very good at practising your listening skills with the 24 France videos. Your summaries of the videos show that you understand most of it. To improve your comprehension, we will focus on building your vocabulary, grammar and pronunciation.
Perfect! Marianne fitted me in at very short notice, and helped not merely with the language, but what and how should be said in a speech. Great tutor!
- Marianne's response : Hi, Richard, well done for taking in some much information in one lesson. Hopefully you will soon have an opportunity to make your speech. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need help with the pronunciation. Kind regards, Marianne
View more reviews
Marianne has been teaching me regularly now for 4 months. I really enjoy Marianne's teaching style, she is very patient and great at explaining grammar and vocabulary points. The lessons are planned and structured according to my ability, and extra homework is set in between the lessons. I've also learnt a lot about France as a country in these lessons! Looking forward to more in the future!
I found Marianne on Superprof after quite a brief search on Google. I read her reviews, saw that she was well-qualified and I had an instinct that she would be a good teacher. So far I have had three lessons on Zoom and they have all been excellent. I particularly like the variety of learning tasks - whether it's listening, looking at a video, checking some grammar - and the hour-long lessons go very quickly! Marianne gives me the confidence to have a go at speaking French even when I'm not entirely sure I'm saying the right thing! For me, that is one of the best ways to learn. Each lesson is very well-planned and I enjoy the tasks she sets for me to do in between lessons. After only 3 lessons, I already feel like I'm improving. I recommend Marianne without hesitation.
I have been tutored by Marianne for the past ten months and I cannot speak highly enough of her tuition. Her lessons are well paced to encourage my comprehension of the language plus they are varied and always interesting.
Marianne is an amazing tutor who really helped me with French A level (which i went on to get a high A* in). She was always very patient - which was essential for me given I’m quite seriously dyslexic. Marianne always answered any questions I had clearly and concisely and gave me great feedback when I made mistakes. I’m really grateful for all her help!
I loved my French lessons with Marianne. They were so varied and creative. One day we were playing a board games she’d devised, the next were reading extracts from books, then having role plays. It kept it all so interesting that you didn’t really realise you were learning! She tailored everything to suit what I wanted to get out of the lessons
Marianne is an excellent tutor. I have had lessons from her to help me improve my conversational French.
She is very patient and gives clear explanations of the use of French both from a grammatical perspective and in terms of everyday life in France.
She is a native French speaker which is very helpful.
After each lesson Marianne provides a summary of the topics covered.
I am very happy with the progress I am making.
The lessons I have had have been great.
Marianne sets me tasks to complete prior, which helps me further my understanding and benefit from each lesson greatly. I am enjoying learning with Marianne - I can see improvement in my knowledge & confidence and I am excited to see how much more I can improve!
I have been taking French lessons with Marianne for 5 months now. We have been working around the A2/B1 (DELF) level and I am very happy with the progress I am making. The lessons are perfectly paced for me and I have time to understand and use new vocabulary/grammar before moving on. I have noticed an improvement in my confidence and pronunciation. Highly recommended!!!
I have only had a few one to one one hour lessons with Marianne, and they have been great. It's the first time that I have had French lessons since GCE French, and I'm loving them. The initial meeting was really important in setting the scene, giving me a chance to say why and what I want to learn, and to find out about her teaching methods. I look forward to these lessons, because Marianne makes them relevant to my needs, interesting and challenging in a useful and enjoyable way. Her enthusiasm is motivating, and she has helped me to feel comfortable and more confident in having a go at lengthier conversations. She speaks French to me throughout unless I really get stuck, and explains grammar and patterns which assist gender recognition. She sets standards and goals which are attainable, and fun on the way to achieving. I think she's a great teacher, and recommend her whole heartedly.
Marianne has helped me greatly over the past 18 months and helped me bring my French up to speed from B1 to C1, after a 20 year break. She is very good at guiding me with regard to my accent and all other aspects of french and a very supportive teacher!!
Marianne is a fantastic tutor with extensive knowledge and a patient and thorough teaching style.
I searched for a French tutor on Google and her name came up. I have always wanted to learn French, but could not find somebody to fit in the time that I had. Marrianne is very accommodating to my schedule, which makes my study possible. In addition, she used different techniques to understand new words and grammar in French (not English) such as games, drawing, visual aids. In doing so, I become more confidence with listening and using French. The most interesting thing when I studied French with Marianne was that the atmosphere was very relax. I did not feel any pressure, which allows more to enjoy every lessons.
View more recommendations
- 5h: $200
- 10h: $400
First half-hour free.
Find out more about Marianne
Do you speak this language fluently because of your origins or because a teacher inspired you to learn?
Both. I speak French fluently because I grew up in France and lived there until after my university years. Also, many teachers inspired me. Most of all, my family inspired me. Parents and grand-parents were my teachers: they corrected my mistakes when I was little, discussed the intricacies of the language, read me stories, played word games with me. They would bring a heavy dictionary so we could check out a word … even during dinner times! We also had lots of guests who were learning French.
Can you name a living, historical or fictional character that you think is the emblematic representative of the language's culture?
Jean de la Fontaine (1621 – 1695) wrote beautiful fables. He described the culture of his time, using poetry in a vivid way; and most of his observations are still relevant today. Some of his expressions are used in our everyday language. His fables showcase the language and promote it through poetry. Students learn his fables by heart to develop their language skills.
Is there a typical word, phrase, tradition or behavior in the language that you particularly like?
Youngsters often make up new words. The origin of this phenomenon is explained by the fact that some young people do not want other groups of people to understand them. An example of this is called “le verlan”, where a word is pronounced backwards, i.e “fou” becomes “ouf”. Sometimes, these words get used by the rest of the population, and then find their way in the dictionary. I find this behaviour fascinating because it shows that a language is moving on, adapting to the times.
Why does speaking this language matter to you?
French is the first language that I heard and spoke. It was the language of my formative years, with childhood songs and games, secrets and joys, family ties and friendships. It was the mean of discovering the world around. I feel an emotional bond to it.
What is the main difficulty in learning this language and what can help the process of learning?
Everyone may struggle with a different aspect of the language. For some, it might be the pronunciation, for others, the application of the grammar, and so on. The key is to find the learner’s gaps of knowledge and misconceptions. This has to be done carefully, through a robust evaluation that can be completed over a certain period of time. Then, the gaps and misconceptions have to be addressed thoroughly and progressively.
Provide a valuable anecdote related to your language learning or your days at school.
One of my new teachers was a fountain of knowledge, however he did not seem to understand that his explanations were too complex for us. Then, he would get impatient and irritable. Today, teachers call this the “curse of knowledge”. What it means is that you may speak a language fluently but teaching it efficiently is another skill altogether.
How has travel or a specific trip helped you to increase your skill and knowledge of the language?
Every trip in another country has helped me to memorise phrases, grammar, pronunciation and idioms. I was encouraged by my family to be adventurous, so I started to spend holidays in an English family at 14, and continued every year after that, in England or Germany. I enjoyed learning by immersion so much that I lived for a whole academic year in Germany, when I was 17.
What makes you a Superprof in language?
Many years of experience and training have taught me how language is acquired. First, learners need to feel comfortable with their tutors. Next, my part is to evaluate their skills, gaps and misconceptions and to help students progress, steps by steps, onto a higher level of skills, through a tailored program. Feedback on their progress is very important. Finally, I stretch and challenge learners, so they know how to progress further. I also give many tips on how to learn independently.