For standardized test prep, I teach to the exam, while recognizing that each student is unique. My students review basic skills and become deeply familiar with the test formats and question types, while I offer strategies to improve their test taking skills. The goal, always, is to help them perform at their best on the day of the exam.
With academic tutoring and college essays, I work on a regular or by-project basis. The goal here is to find out what needs doing, and help the student do it as well as possible. Tutoring can involve everything from dealing with executive function issues -- i.e., organization, deadlines -- to breaking the project down into manageable tasks, such as brainstorming, planning, writing, and revising. This isn't as dry in practice as it may sound on the page. I find that humor, encouragement, and enthusiasm for good writing can often spark students who have never before given much thought to their written self-expression.
I'm a private tutor in New York City. I help middle school students prepare for the SHSAT (Specialized High School Admissions Test), private school (ISEE and SSAT), and Catholic school (TACHS, COOP, and HSPT) entrance exams. For high school students, I offer tutoring for SAT and ACT preparation, as well as help with college application essays. I also tutor both middle school and high school students in academics, essay and creative writing, and homework.
Before this, I spent more than a decade at KAPLAN, the worldwide leader in standardized test preparation, helping write their SAT, GRE, GMAT & LSAT materials, and teaching SAT prep. I've also worked for Lindamood-Bell, teaching literacy to students ranging in age from 6 to 35, and am currently an Adjunct Professor at Hudson County Community College, teaching Film, Public Speaking and Humanities classes.
I have B.A. from Yale University, and an M.F.A. from the Yale School of Drama. I have acted off-Broadway and in regional theaters, film, and television.
Jon Krupp, Tutor, CV
B.A., Yale University, double major in English and Theatre Studies
M.F.A. in Acting, Yale School of Drama
• Private tutor for SHSAT (NYC’s Specialized High School Admissions Test), ISEE & SSAT (private school entrance exams), and the Catholic school exams (COOP. HSPT, TACHS)
• Private tutor for SAT, ACT, GRE, GMAT and LSAT exam preparation
• Private tutor for college application essays
• Private tutor for middle school and high school academics, including math, history and English Language Arts
• Adjunct Professor, Hudson County Community College, teaching Introduction to Film, Public Speaking, and Cultures & Values (Humanities)
• Lindamood-Bell – Taught literacy skills one-on-one with students ages 6-35
• Young Audiences/New York – Created course materials and taught courses for early, middle and high school students from all 5 boroughs attending performances of the National Actors Theatre
• Kaplan Test Prep – Wrote and edited course materials, test questions, and explanations for standardized test prep courses, including SAT, GRE, GMAT, LSAT, MCAT and NCLEX; taught SAT preparation classes; did on-camera work and audio tapes for all the above courses
creative writing lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest essay writing lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, Test prep for all!
Taking college / university preparation lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|