My philosophy and work is rooted in a personal commitment to help students discover their own strengths and talents and to empower them in making informed educational decisions. I engage students by tailoring my teaching and counseling to each individual's learning styles and interests and having interactive sessions and classes. Offering vast experiences in teaching, advising, outreach and recruitment, I also thrive in collaborative environments using team-centered approaches. I firmly believe in the value of what we as educators to enrich the student experience.
I have attained multiple degrees in Communications, Education, and Law from UCLA, Harvard University, and Loyola Law School. I have taught and tutored Reading, Writing, Grammar, ESL, SAT/ACT (verbal) for students on a 1:1 and in classrooms basis for K-12 schools and colleges/universities. I also have administrative experience as a former director for both a learning center at Woodbury University and a high volume student services office at UCI. I highly specialize in academic, career, and financial counseling. In addition, I have licenses in law and life/health insurance and multiple certificates in travel/hospitality, leadership, event and meeting planning, and organizational management.
My rates are negotiable and will vary depending on distance to travel, student grade level and type of subject to tutor, how often tutoring is needed each week, or whether the session is for college admissions consulting and/or financial planning. Minimum tutoring is at least 1 hour. Appointments cancelled less than 24 hours prior to the scheduled time will incur a cancellation fee equal to 50% of a 1-hour lesson.
Dynamic, resourceful, and goals-driven educator with a solid commitment to the social and academic growth and development of every student. Skilled in the design of a challenging, enriching, and innovative teaching and counseling strategies that address the diverse interests and needs of students. Active team member with excellent communication skills who effectively collaborates with administrators, faculty, and staff and fosters meaningful relationships with students and clients.
PRIMA INSTITUTE 2018-2019
College Consultant/English Instructor – Fullerton, CA
• Counseled middle and high school students on college and graduate admissions, degree and major selection, career exploration, financial aid and scholarships, housing, and student life.
• Evaluated and critiqued college, graduate, and scholarship applications and essays.
• Provided individualized instruction on SAT/ACT and AP English Language and Composition preparation.
ELITE EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTE 2000-2018
Instructor/Collegiate Advisor – Cerritos, Fountain Valley, Rowland Heights, CA
• Served as lead instructor for classes focusing on SAT preparation, reading, grammar, and writing skills.
• Provided individualized advising on study skills, time management, college and major selection, career
exploration, the college application process, and pre-enrollment issues.
• Delivered workshops to high school students on college preparation, admissions, and career choices.
ORANGE COUNTY ONE STOP CENTER 2015-2017
Workshop Trainer/Career Coach – Garden Grove, CA
• Facilitated 7-9 weekly career development workshops on job seeker strategies, resume writing, interviewing techniques, transferable skills, networking, financial strategies, and LinkedIn.
• Collaborated with managers, team leads, and career consultants the redesign and/or expansion of workshop offerings to help empower job seekers and to reach all learning styles.
• Researched current career and labor market information, web tools, and community resources, outreached to community partners, and invited guest speakers to inform and assist clients.
HARVARD SQUARE 2 ACADEMY 2015
Special Projects and Career Counselor/Online Instructor– Cerritos, Walnut, Irvine, CA
• Developed and delivered in-class and online seminars on pre-collegiate activities, study skills and
time management, and summer programs and internships for students in 6-11th grades.
• Evaluated and critiqued college application essays and resumes and conduct college mock interviews.
NORTH ORANGE COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT 2001-2002
School of Continuing Education
Basic Skills/High School Diploma Instructor – Cypress, Fullerton, CA
• Taught in learning laboratories to support diverse learners in basic skills development, preparation for
the GED exam, and completion of a high school diploma.
• Guided students on computer-assisted instruction to enhance reading, writing, and math skills.
• Administered and scored tests and work samples to measure levels of achievement.
STUDENT SUPPORTS EXPERIENCE
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, IRVINE (UCI) 2005-2014
School of Social Ecology, Office of Student Services
Director/Head Counselor - Irvine, CA
• Trained, supervised, and evaluated 30+ career and student staff, including interns, assistants, peer mentors, and peer advisors.
• Prepared and monitored multiple budgets over $80,000 and maintained program ledgers and invoices.
• Established and maintained cooperative working relations with faculty, staff, students, vendors, and partners to provide a professional environment.
• Conducted informational workshops regarding programs and services and participated in outreach activities to promote educational opportunities and services available.
• Maintained current knowledge of legal requirements, procedures, and policies used in providing student services and other programmatic supports.
WOODBURY UNIVERSITY 2002-2005
Learning Resource Center (LRC)
Director/Basic Skills Specialist- Burbank, CA
• Budgeting: Prepared and oversaw budgets up to $75,000. Monitored and recorded program administration, personnel, supply, and equipment expenditures.
• Staffing: Recruited, hired, trained, and assigned work for 40+ tutors, SI leaders, and administrative assistants. Scheduled tutoring appointments and workshops, developed staff training sessions, and compiled and analyzed pertinent programmatic data and statistics.
• Instructional Services: Designed and taught student success workshops and student development courses, including: college orientation, academic success, first year experience, and career/educational planning.
• Outreach/Retention: Developed promotional materials such as brochures, informational packets, and newsletters. Contacted businesses and organizations for sponsorship and fundraising.
• TITLE V (Grant Project): Implemented the basic skills component of a $2 million federal grant. Designed and managed a Supplemental Instruction Program. Facilitated faculty development workshops and task forces. Integrated advanced technology into the LRC and campus classes. Prepared and maintained a variety of narrative and statistical records and reports related to program activities and effectiveness
CYPRESS COLLEGE, Cypress, California
Certificate, Advanced Travel and Tourism
CSU LONG BEACH (College of Continuing and Professional Education), Long Beach, California
Certificate, Meeting and Events Planning Program
LOYOLA LAW SCHOOL, Los Angeles, California
J.D.; Member, California State Bar
HARVARD UNIVERSITY, Graduate School of Education, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Ed.M. with a concentration in Administration, Planning and Social Policy
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES (UCLA), Los Angeles, California
B.A., Communication Studies; Specialization in Business Administration
SPECIAL SKILLS AND INTERESTS
K-12th grades; Community College; 4-year University; Adult and Continuing Education
Writing; Reading; Speech; ESL; Basic Skills; SAT/ACT (verbal); business; career development
Mandarin Chinese (verbal fluency); Spanish (basic reading and writing knowledge)
MS Office Suite; DegreeWorks (degree audit system); PLATO courseware (online learning program); ACCUPLACER (online assessment system for basic skills); Social Media (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter)
career coaching lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest Professional training to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, leadership lessons for all!
Taking job search coach lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$75||$50|
|5 hours||Not available||$350||$250|
|10 hours||Not available||$675||$500|