I am Ph.D in Plant Biology. I had the opportunity to work in Colombia, United States and China. I would provided different kind of lessons related with Plant Biology or interacting with a spanish student that would like to improve their spanish vocabulary and get to know more the spanish culture.
I had been giving lessons for the past 5 years
I taught plant biology lessons over 200 students
the students were able to continue in their various undergraduate as well as postgraduate studies.
I had experienced teaching overseas (Colombia, USA and China).
2012 Ph.D., Plant Biology. Southern Illinois University, Carbondale
2009 Ph.D., candidate, Plant Biology. Southern Illinois University, Carbondale
2001 Teaching Higher Education Specialist. Universidad El Bosque. Bogotá- Colombia
1998 Bachelor of Science, Universidad Distrital “Francisco José de Caldas”, Bogotá- Colombia
SCHOLARSHIPS AND AWARDS
2013 PhytoScholar 2013 Award. 10th International Plytotechnologies Conference
SUNY – College of Environmental Science & Forestry; October 1-4 2013; Syracuse, New York
2011 Dissertation Research Award. “Characterization of two heavy metal
transporters, HMA3 and NRAMP1, from Arabidopsis thaliana and two ecotypes
of the Zn/Cd hyperaccumulator Thlaspi caerulescens”. This award supported
summer semester, 2011. Southern Illinois University, Carbondale. Illinois
2001 Fellowship research training in Pharmacology and Toxicology
CINVESTAV Department. México D.F. This training was received as
part of an ongoing study that evaluates how CYP1A1 enzyme activity is
affected in workers exposed to organic solvents
1999 Colombian Association of Dentistry Faculties ACFO. “ Production and
Immunochemistry characterization of anti Porphyromonas gingivalis
antibody in chicken”. Best post-graduate work
April-October, 2016 Research and Development. Setek Co., and University of Sciences and Technology of China, Suzhou.
2012- 2015 Post-Doctoral Fellow, Government Scientist Visitor at USDA-ARS. Parlier, California. Water Management Research
2007- 2012 Teaching Assistant, Plant Biology Department. Southern Illinois University, Carbondale
2003- 2007 Research Assistant, Microbiology and Immunology Department. New York Medical College. Valhalla, New York
2000- 2002 Associate Instructor. Medical School. Escuela Colombiana de Medicina-Universidad El Bosque. Bogotá. Colombia
1998- 1999 Instructor Assistant. Medical School. Escuela Colombiana de Medicina-Universidad El Bosque. Bogotá. Colombia
1995- 1997 Research Assistant, Biotechnology Institute. Universidad Nacional. Bogotá-Colombia
Research Lecturer. Seminar I. Environmental Management Master program.
Universidad Piloto, Bogotá, Colombia. November,2015
Guest lecturer at Universidad de Los Andes. Bogotá, Colombia. Department of Biological
Sciences Seminar ¨Cultivo de variedades de brassica tolerantes a estrés osmótico en California para biocombustibles y bioproductos. October 22, 2015
Guest lecturer at Universidad Nacional de Colombia. Graduate students in Microbiology program. Bogotá, Colombia. March, 2014
• Topics: photosynthesis, biological membranes, bacterial metal transport systems and bacterial secretion systems
Plant Biology Laboratories. Southern Illinois University, Carbondale
Laboratory Courses taught:
• 2011 PLB 420- Techniques in Molecular Biology. Animals and Plants
• 2009-2011 PLB 320 –Plant Physiology
• 2008 PLB 117- Plants and Society
• 2007 PLB 200- General Plant Anatomy
Guest lecturer on cell walls and plant hormones at graduate plant biology program at Southern Illinois University, Carbondale
Postdoctoral Research: Water Management Research, Parlier California, 2012-2015 (Principal Investigator: Dr. Gary Bañuelos)
• Research focused primarily in tolerant and economically high demanded oil seed crops as a source for biofuel, as well as enriched and biofortified plant material. These plants are growing in poor quality soils, with high salts, selenium and boron interaction. (Research Adviser: Dr. Gary Bañuelos)
• Field and greenhouse experiments
• Elemental analyses
• Inductively Coupled Plasma (ICP-OES) for elemental analysis
• Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometry (ICP-MS) for elemental analysis and selenium speciation
Doctoral Research: Department of Plant Biology, Southern Illinois University Carbondale, 2007-2012 (Research Adviser: Dr. Stephen Ebbs)
• Plant micronutrients transporters. Characterization of two heavy metal transporters, HMA3 and NRAMP1, from Arabidopsis thaliana and two ecotypes of the hyperaccumulator Thlaspi caerulescens
• Radioisotopes Training. Southern Illinois University, Carbondale
• Cell culture and molecular techniques applied on yeast, bacteria and plant cells
• Elemental analysis by Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometry (AAS)
Research Assistant: Plant Biology Department, Southern Illinois University,
Carbondale, Illinois. Spring 2012. (Principal Investigator: Dr.
• Construction of a plasmid to knockout the kaurene synthase gene in Physcomitrella patents
• Molecular techniques i.e., PCR, gene expression and selection, electrophoresis, restriction enzyme
• Plant tissue culture (maintain Physcomitrella moss germoplasm)
• Bacterial cloning
Lab Assistant: Plant Biology Department, Southern Illinois University,
Carbondale, Illinois. Sumer 2010. (Principal Investigator: Dr. Sara Baer)
• Preparation of soil and plant tissue samples for elemental analysis
• Selection and separation of various kind of insects from soil samples
Research Assistant: Microbiology and Immunology Department, New York Medical College, Valhalla, New York. 2003-2007 (Principal Investigator: Dr. Felipe
• Lyme disease. Culture of Borrelia burgdorferi. Detection of collagen binding proteins.
Molecular biology techniques, protein isolation, gene protein expression, immune gold labeling, flow cytometry, “in situ” immunodetection, collagen extraction preparation from rat tails, work with Borrelia mutants, production of inclusion bodies.
Research Assistant: Molecular Biology Laboratory, Centro de Investigaciones, Universidad El
Bosque. Bogotá-Colombia. 1999-2002
(Principal Investigator: Dr. Martha Raquel Fontanilla)
• Design of a skin substitute for treatment such as for burn victims
• Elaboration of collagen matrices from rat tails as cellular support for human cell cultures
• Molecular techniques
• Participation and organizing various extramural seminars
Research Assistant: Tissue “in vitro” culture Laboratory, Biotechnology Institute.
Universidad Nacional de Colombia. Bogotá-Colombia.
1995-1997. (Principal Investigator: IgA. Marina Caro)
• cDNA clonation of the virus X, which infects and jeopandizes the potatoes production
• Electrophoretic and enzymatic characterization of Phytophthora infestans from various countryside locations in Colombia
• Biochemical characterization of several cubios accessions (Tubercle widely used in the Colombian diet)
• Management of potatoes “in vitro” and in the field. Plant virus detection techniques (ELISA)
• Plant molecular biology and mineral nutrition
• Plant soil applied to human nutrition
• Metal transporter proteins involved in heavy metal (essential and toxic) movement into the plant
• Food staple crops biofortification in conjunction with human health nutrition
• Biofuel and by-products production
It is my honor to write this recommendation letter for Maria-Clemencia for the position of Superprof online teaching. I have known Clemencia as a molecular and plant biologist for several years. She holds a PhD in Plant Biology and has vast experience in teaching. She is passionate about her work and enjoys imparting her knowledge to others.
During the time we were together in graduate school, Clemencia taught several courses to undergraduate students including Molecular Biology, Plant Biology and Plant Physiology. I enjoyed her creativity during class and laboratory preparation and her thoroughness in the process. The evaluation of her students always pointed out her great enthusiasm with the students during the teaching assistant classes. Outside these science classes she also made time to tutor students who were learning Spanish and she always had good relations with her students.
Clemencia is a very timely person who was always organized and well prepared for her classes. She set some really high standards and communicated her expectations to her students. In 2011, she was part of the team for teaching excellence at the Southern Illinois University, Carbondale a rare opportunity for students.
Maria has dedicated her life to learning about biology. Her primary focuses withing this field are cellular, molecular, biochemistry, genetics, plant physiology, and toxicology. She is proficient in all of these fields. She was a lab instructor for my plant physiology and advanced genetics/molecular biology labs when I was an undergraduate. After receiving my BS, I joined the same plant physiology/toxicology lab as Maria. She graduated with her PhD shortly after, but we have remained friends over the years. She is a fantastic teacher and mentor who is able to take complex subjects and explain them in a manner that is easy to understand for nearly all levels of knowledge on the subject she is talking about. She is always eager to share her knowledge with anybody who wants to learn. I feel that she is on of the best educators that I have had the pleasure of working with and is more than qualified to teach on any subjects related to biological sciences.
biology lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest cell biology lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, molecular biology lessons for all!
Taking botany lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||$20|