While studying for my Masters, I researched various types of learning and teaching methods. Having been an acting teacher and actor myself, I discovered my teaching approach was one of a kinetic style. This is not always the best method for students who may be visual or aural learners. I try to pinpoint the individual student’s best method of learning and then go from there. Literature and writing are my passion. In teaching literature and reading comprehension, I focus on narrative structure, thematics, symbolism and metaphors, and character. The essence of human life, both biological and psychological, can be found within the world of literature. I have a similar approach to the teaching of writing, only now the student becomes the creator of those eternal stories.
My teaching range is 5th through 8th graders, as well as high school students.
I am a professional actor for stage, film, and television. I have lived in the New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles markets. I recently decided to return to school to achieve a Masters in English and Creative Writing, which I completed in the Fall of 2020. While in Chicago, I was an acting teacher for 7th and 8th grade students and was a musical theatre director. The most recent musical productions were Xanadu and Mary Poppins.
(concealed information) | (concealed information) | Cramerton, NC
Enthusiastic, versatile, and dedicated actor and writer seeking positions as an educator and advisor, with aspirations of securing full-time employment at the high school or college level. Recently transitioning from Chicago, IL, where I directed junior high musical theatre and taught acting through kinetically involved lesson plans focused on unlocking the creative imaginations of my students. Received Masters in English and Creative Writing from Southern New Hampshire University in the fall of 2020.
Fifth – Eighth Grade Acting Teacher | St. Juliana School | Park Ridge, IL | Fall 2019
- Designed student-centered, kinetically involved lesson plans that centered around improvisation techniques, as well as monologue work that encouraged students to express themselves in front of large audiences. This was especially important in helping them appreciate the creative expression of their peers
- Assigned students the task of researching and locating their own chosen pieces of performance to ensure that they were not only passionate about the assignments, but that they could generate the skills to selecting appropriate audition materials
- Focused on discussions of the meanings of the chosen materials. Each student discovered the primary emotions of the characters performing. With a focus on story and subtext, each student fully grasped the intentions of the performances
Musical Theatre Director | St. Juliana School | Park Ridge, IL | Spring 2019 – Spring 2020
- Fifth through eighth grade students were allowed to participate in the Spring Musical at St. Juliana. I had the absolute privilege of being in charge of the program, which included organizing singing, dancing, and staging rehearsals for 48 students, as well as conducting each day’s rehearsal
- Spring 2019: Mary Poppins Jr.
- Spring 2020: Xanadu Jr.
o Due to the unexpected and unfortunate closings caused by COVID-19, we were unable to perform Xanadu Jr. onstage. I was able to redirect our efforts to a Zoom performance which was well-received by both students and parents
- St. Juliana Fine Arts Reference Contact: John Hammerle (concealed information)
Master of Arts in English and Creative Writing from Southern New Hampshire University
- Duly elected member of the International English Honor Society Sigma Tau Delta
- Participated in a Seminar on Writing Instruction that focused on Online Education
Bachelor of Arts in Theatre Performance from Butler University
Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel; Prezi; Google Drive; iMovie; Final Draft; Brightspace; MacBook/PC
academic english lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest reading lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, literature lessons for all!
Taking creative writing lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$15||$15|