Teaching method: fun, on task, world rounded, inspirational and motivatinal, co-creative.
Subjects: English, Leadership, Creative Writing, Humanities, Mental Health, Self-esteem, Self-improvement, Confidence, Image, Styling, Business, Journalism.
Delivery method: one-on-one, group, workshop, seminar, retreats.
Technology: Zoom, Google Classroom, Canvas.
Mantra: We can do it!
PhD in World Humanities, MA in English and American Lit, BA in Eng/Foreign Lang
23 years of teaching at high school, college and university level.
Published author of 2 books
Motivational and inspirational teen magazine publisher
Certified life and goals coach
Fun, energetic, knowledgeable, inspirational, sincere, respectful.
EDUCATION AND CREDENTIALS
• Ph.D., Cum Laude, Philosophy/Romance Lang., State University Lucian Blaga, Romania, 2003
• MA, American Literature, State University Lucian Blaga, Romania, 1996
• BA, English, State University Lucian Blaga, Romania, 1995
• TESOL Certificate, TEFL Certificate, CLAD Certificate, UCLA, 2001
• Single Subject Clear Teaching Credential, California State University Los Angeles, 2000
• Lifetime European Teaching Credential recognized by UCLA, College Career Center and International Education Research Foundation, 1995
• Training on English Instruction Methodology by visiting professors from University of Missouri, UCLA, Oxford, Sorbonne, and many other foreign universities, 1990-1996
• Certificate in Reading, University of Phoenix
• Clinical Hypnotherapist Diploma, Holmes Center for Hypnotherapy, 2013
• Advanced Studies in Hypnotherapy Diploma, Weiss Institute, 2014 – trained with the world renown Dr. Brian Weiss in Past Life Regression Therapy
• Diverse, Multiethnic Background
• Speaker of Foreign Languages
• Strong Interpersonal Skills
• Demonstrated Creativity
• Creative Problem-Solving Skills
• Ability to Follow-Through Energetically
• Proven Writing and Speaking Skills
• Recognized Leadership Skills
• Motivational, Charismatic Behavior
• Teacher: public education: 23 years: West High School, Le Conte Magnet Middle School
• Professor: junior college: 23 years: El Camino College and LA Harbor College
• WASC committee member
• Professional speaker at FBLA, SuperTeach.
• Motivational speaker at The Best You Conference, Rotary clubs, Beverly Hills Woman’s Club
• Professional writer at See Beyond Magazine, Palos Verdes Pulse, The Immigrant, Hora in America, Time Magazine (Romania) and podcast co-host/producer at Raw & Real with Leo and Aura
Instructor of English, Los Angeles Harbor College, 2000 – Present
• Teach different classes of English from low level (English 21, 73) to advanced reading and composition ones (English 101) to students of diverse backgrounds
• Develop the writing skills for different expository essays (compare and contrast essay; cause and effect essay; psychological and philosophical essay, descriptive essay; narrative essay)
• Instruct students on the techniques of completing a research paper using the Internet and other multiple sources
• Expand students skills in a wide range of college assignments necessary for effective scholarship across the curriculum
• Implement new strategies in teaching short-term classes/intensive ones, like winter and summer intersession
Instructor of ESL, English, and Reading, El Camino College, 2001 – Present
• Teach a wide array of classes from beginning, and intermediate to advanced reading and vocabulary level courses designed to improve students’ reading skills, such as the ability to make inferences, draw conclusions, determine the main idea, explore themes, analyze plots, describe settings, examine characters, predict outcomes, interpret events.
• Instruct composition classes with hands-on computer assisted instruction
• Develop critical reading in academic, personal, and professional situations
• Employ word analysis skills, such as recognizing prefixes and suffixes, synonyms and antonyms, without the use of the dictionary
• Use FOG program for extra grammar help
ESL Specialist, Language Assessment Center, El Camino College, 2001 – 2010
• Test students on reading, writing and oral skills
• Place students in classes according to their needs and background
English, Philosophy, American Dream, and World Humanities Teacher, West High School, 2000 –Present
• Implemented Common Core Curriculum in my classes, strategy and formula I was already trained in Europe.
• Created my own Philosophy and World Humanities Curriculum, selected my own materials, and designed mid-term and finals
• Teach classes for seniors focused on the American Literature and Philosophy, with an emphasis on John Steinbeck, Francis Scott Fitzgerald, Maya Angelou, Tommy Orange, Plato, R.W. Emerson, F. Kafka, etc
• Expand their vocabulary through a variety of language based exercises
• Augment their writing and reading skills and oral communication
Master Teacher, West High School, 2004 – 2018
• Supervise, instruct, coordinate student teachers in the Credentialing Program at California State University Long Beach
Instructor of English, Long Beach City College, 2002 – 2007
• Teach two classes of low level and advanced English Composition, emphasizing writing strategies, correct English syntax and morphology
• School students in Standard American English and guide them in the use of computers and other forms of advanced technology utilized in providing high quality instruction and the understanding and successful use of learning technology
• Lecture students on the steps of exploring a subject and developing a research paper based on MLA guidelines
Instructor of English, Los Angeles City College, 1999 – 2000
• Taught a pre-developmental reading and writing class to a diverse student body (ENG 73)
• Developed punctuation, editing, and essay writing skills
• Instructed students on grammar, mechanics, spelling and sentence structure
• Facilitated the development of their critical thinking, reading and writing skills
• Enhanced learning of English through the use of computer technology
Linguistics/English Teacher, Le Conte International Humanities Magnet, 1998 – 2000
• Developed curriculum for a brand-new program in Comparative Linguistics based on four languages: Spanish, Italian, Romanian, and German
• Developed the budget, selected the material, and created the curriculum
• Developed listening, speaking, reading, and writing English skills
• Assisted in the development of programs designed to improve the teaching of English
• Guided non-native speakers in the development of abilities in oral and written
Assistant Professor of English/ESL, State University Lucian Blaga, Romania,1995 –1997
• Taught EFL/ESL to students of all ages from many cultural backgrounds
• Taught TESOL courses from Methodology to Second Language Learning (SLL) and Second Language Acquisition (SLA).
• Developed course curriculum with an emphasis on EFL communication and Linguistic Analysis
• Responsible for the development of course syllabus, midterm and final exams
TEACHING RELATED POSITIONS
English Instructor – SYLVAN LEARNING CENTER1998 - 1999
English Instructor – EXTENDED LEARNING SESSIONS ACADEMY (ELSA)1998 - 1999
Mass Media and Foreign Languages Instructor – LECONTE JUNIOR HIGH 1998 – 1999
1. Author of Out of the Transylvania Night, memoir published by Bettie Youngs Books; 2010; Pulitzer Prize entry and Amazon best-seller
2. Author of Conversations with the Past, self-help book published by Rainbow Ridge Books (Sept 2020). Reader’s Fav Book (5 stars) and 2020 Best Book Awards, Finalist in Self-help category.
1. Organized from A to Z special events from outlining the business plan, marketing, PR, advertising, hiring entertainment, supervising entrance, dealing with customer complains for: Viitorul Roman, Eurocircle, RAPN, Romanian-American Chamber of Commerce, Dunarea Restaurant, and many private businesses.
2. Created blueprints and business plans for Top 100 Doctors’ Magazine.
3. Created fundraisers and partnered up West High School with Carlo Ponti Jr (Sophia Loren’s son) and his foundation LAV – Los Angeles Virtuosi and Caterina Club, in OC.
4. Mentor for LEAP Foundation, Blue Heron, Wesley Foundation at UCLA, MSA -Muslim Students Association and Young Leaders PAC.
NON-RELATED TEACHING POSITIONS
President, Eurocircle – Professional Networking Club2006 - Present
President LA Chapter, RAPN – Romanian-American Professional Networking 2006 –Present
Head of the News Department, Radio Contact, Romania1993 - 1997
Publicity Manager, The National Journal, Romania1994 - 1997
Interview Operator, Gallup Pool1993 - 1997
AWARDS AND PUBLICATIONS
• Awarded President Volunteer Service, May 2019
• Awarded Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers, 2005
• Awarded Someone Special at West High School, 2005
• Awarded Who’s Who in America, 2004 Marquis’ Edition
• Awarded Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers, 2004
• Awarded Who’s Who in America, 2003 Marquis’ Edition
• Outstanding Young Educator, Torrance Junior Chamber of Commerce, 2003
• Outstanding Young Educator, City Council of the City of Torrance, 2003
• Outstanding Young Educator, County of Los Angeles, 2003
• Outstanding Young Educator, Certificate of Recognition, California State Senate, 2003
• Outstanding Young Educator, Certificate of Recognition, California State Assembly, 2003
• Outstanding High School Teacher, UC San Diego’s Teacher Recognition Program, 2001-2002
REFERENCES UPON REQUEST
career coaching lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest Professional training to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, leadership lessons for all!
Taking job search coach lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||$99|