I base my classes on lots of practice with problems and simplify and explain the math. I'm a visual learner and can work really well with students who need pictures and practice. Chemistry is a hard subject, but I try to make my tutoring interesting, fun and effective.
Retired chemistry prof (PhD from Harvard) with over 50 years experience in consulting and teaching. I have taught chemistry and physical chemistry classes from 5 students to 40 students. I have taught in a foreign language when living overseas and I have taught many classes in diverse environments.
I will travel to various parts of Windward and East Oahu. My cancellation policy is no charge if notified 24 hours in advance, 50% if cancelled within 12 hours and 100% if cancelled less than 12 hours before appointment.
Dr. Barbara B. Saunders-Price is an experienced scientist with combined expertise in nuclear, biological and chemical defense issues and environmental chemistry, toxicology, radiation and nuclear chemistry and public health risk assessments. She has concentrated on international aspects of NBC or CBR defense and cooperation since 1981 and has experience interacting in a professional setting with many different cultures. She has a strong passion for teaching and developing communication in science, especially with younger generations and the public.
Ph.D. Physical Chemistry, Harvard University
M.A. Chemistry, Harvard University
B.A. Chemistry, Hunter College of the CUNY
Dr. Barbara B. Saunders-Price is the editor-in-chief and publisher of the Journal of Medical Chemical, Biological and Radiological Defense, a peer reviewed online journal she co-founded in 2001. Dr. Price also co-founded the ASA Newsletter, a specialty newsletter for international NBC defense, in its 23rd year of continuous publication. Both publications rely on her extensive international contacts, analytical abilities and scientific expertise. She is well known in the field of medical CBR.
Dr. Price was the chair or co-chair of each the Chemical Biological Medical Treatments Symposia (CBMTS) series of meetings in Switzerland, Czech Republic, Egypt, Croatia and Singapore (18 meetings as of 2012). These meetings are organized and managed with the sponsorship of the host country and are designed to facilitate the communication of ideas and concepts in NBC/CBR science and medical treatment, doctrine and policy. She has been the co-chair of the International China BioPharmaceuticals Symposia in Beijing in 2006 and 2008. At each of these meetings, Dr. Price has taught special sections on giving scientific presentations, emphasizing those whose first language is not English and who are from non-Western cultures.
SPECIALIZED SKILL AREAS
• Nuclear, Biological and Chemical Defense Issues
• Public Health Risk Assessment
• Nuclear Contamination Assessments
• Communication and Teaching
• Scientific writing and editing
• General Chemistry – Hawaii Pacific University
• Physical Chemistry – Hawaii Pacific University
• Physical and Freshman chemistry – graduate fellowship at Harvard University
• Inorganic chemistry – University of Bergen, Norway, Lecturer (taught freshman and junior inorganic chemistry in both English and Norwegian)
• NBC Threat, Defense and Equipment for C3I Vehicles and Installations– AFCEA
• "Safety for Experimental Scientists"– State University of New York, Purchase, NY, adjunct faculty member
• Basics in QA/QC for Environmental Analyses – Invited course for an environmental consulting firm in South Africa.
• Basics in Risk Assessment – Maine, special for Engineering Firms (4 - 2 hour segments)
• Chemical Safety Course, ACS Mid-Hudson Section (NY)
HAWAII PACIFIC UNIVERSITY, Adjunct Chemistry Professor, 2012-2014. Taught General Chemistry Summer 2012, Fall 2012, Spring 2012, Fall 2013, Spring 2013. Taught Physical Chemistry Spring 2012 and 2014
APPLIED SCIENCE AND ANALYSIS, Kaneohe, HI. 1983 to 2012. Technical Director of a well-known consulting firm specializing in chemical protection and decontamination for military and civil defense applications, Dr. Price supervised all technical projects and reports. She traveled extensively in the U.S. and abroad (Europe, MidEast and Asia) to work with the heads of national laboratories and industries developing new techniques and technologies for NBC protection and environmental and human health protection.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$15||Not available|
|5 hours||Not available||$70||Not available|
|10 hours||Not available||$140||Not available|