I've always wanted to be a surfer, since before I began to learn. I don't know why, perhaps it's the relationship of surfer and ocean. It's a very special relationship that I feel privileged to have been a part of for 50 years. There have been many changes in surfing over those years, and I have experience with both long and shortboards. I've surfed every major break in So. Cal. from Jalama to the Sloughs, and south into Baja. It's an enchanted lifestyle, full of adventure and danger. If you are ready to (pardon me) take the plunge, I'd like to be the one that introduces you to what has given me some of the most magical moments of my life...
1. Actively involved in surfing since 1967.
2. I've taught countless people the basics.
3. Many of the people I've taught are now "surf buddies" that ride together.
4. Knowing the secrets can help you to improve if you're an experienced, but not expert surfer.
5. If interested, I can teach you about the "surf culture" as well as how to surf.
6. Please be a relatively decent swimmer before considering surfing.
7. If you don't have a board, I have a decent "quiver," you could use one of mine.
8. With advance notice, I could arrange wetsuit rentals for you.
Generally there is no travel charge north of San Diego Harbor to La Jolla. It's about half hour to Encinitas, an hour to Oceanside. I'm flexible about fees, let's talk.
I started surfing in the '60's when contests and promotion was considered to be a "sell out" by many surfers. We preferred to surf for the joy of surfing, not to promote ourselves or try to make money. We considered ourselves "soul surfers." The only surfing diplomas I'm aware of are given out by the College of Hard Knocks.
One of my greatest distinctions is nearly getting killed at Sunset Cliffs on a 30' face wave day. If you'd like to know, I'll tell you about it, suffice to say, you could drive a dump truck in the barrels.
I've only seen one shark of a predatory type in all my years in the water, it's really a non-issue. They are out there whether you see them or not.
surfing lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||$30||$65||Not available|
|5 hours||$98||$273||Not available|
|10 hours||$225||$575||Not available|