My teaching methodology is based on application of theory drawn from musical examples, and actively participating with the student. Whether it is classical repertoire and technique, jazz theory of improvisation, bluegrass and folk fiddle, or violin performance from beginners through experts, all my teaching is illustrated by myself and other historical and contemporary examples and then directly applied by doing the exercises, styles, and activities with students, giving real-time feedback. I strongly believe in meeting the student where they are at, and gearing my exercises, repertoire, and teaching style to fit their goals and aspirations. I believe in using multiple different examples and exercises to learn skills, and breaking concepts down into the smallest possible pieces of information, to allow for a student to use multiple parts of the brain and multiple learning styles to synthesize and internalize skills.
I am a degree-certified violinist, fiddler, woodwind player, saxophonist, and composer/arranger trained in classical, jazz, folk, bluegrass, world music, and contemporary pop styles with 15 years of experience on the violin. I hold a Bachelor of Music from the University of North Texas, Summa Cum Laude, and am currently a Master of Music candidate in the jazz composition program. I have been teaching lessons in performance, improvisation, theory and arranging since 2015.
I have won awards in the USA and South Africa for both performance and composition and students I have taught have successfully been admitted into university programs and been selected for national acclaim.
Discounts per-person may be made for group lessons and masterclasses.
Cancellation policy: lessons must be cancelled at least 48 hours in advance to not be charged for them, with the exception of medical emergencies.
UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS, DENTON, TX
Current Master of Music (MM) Jazz Composition Candidate.
• Expected Graduation of May 2022.
• Currently maintaining a cumulative 4.0 GPA.
• Strong research and analysis skills, as testified by holding an A in both Jazz Styles & Analysis (2020) and Intro to Jazz Research (2021) graduate courses.
• Leadership skills recognized by being selected as the inaugural Teaching Assistant for the Latin Jazz program at UNT (2021).
• Recipient of one of three competitive Jazz Arranging scholarships at UNT.
• Awarded one of Downbeat Magazine’s Student Music Awards for the Graduate Jazz Arrangement category (2021).
• Commissioned to write the score for an original student short film, “Mr. Flowers.”
Bachelor of Music (BM) Jazz Studies:
• Graduated Summa Cum Laude (3.99 GPA), May 2020.
• UNT President’s List (2016-2020).
• UNT Academic Merit Scholarship (2016-2020).
• Pi Kappa Lambda Honor Society’s Achievement Award for cross-genre programmatic. composition “The Diver” (2020).
• UNT Innovative Music Programming Award (2017).
• Investigative research published in a Journal via NSHSS (2016).
• Leadership skills recognized by being selected as Lead Alto Saxophone in 7 different large ensembles, and 3 different small ensembles during my time as an undergraduate.
RELATED WORK EXPERIENCE
GRADUATE TEACHING ASSISTANT, UNIVERSITY of NORTH TEXAS
Spring 2021; resumes in Fall 2021 – Spring 2022
• Assist in leading rehearsals and sectionals for the UNT Latin Jazz Lab Band.
• Assist in administrative and organizational tasks and musical composition/arranging tasks for the UNT Latin Jazz Lab Band.
• Utilize Project Manger expertise (see below) in album promotions for the UNT Jazz Division.
• Analyze and act on data as Project Manager for planning of album launch events, and larger Jazz Division events up to 2 years in advance.
• Utilize marketing and publicist skills and press contacts in radio, magazines, and web to plan the promotion and digital re-release of over 30 years of music with maximum efficiency and impact.
MUSIC TEACHER, CARE2ROCK
August 2020 – Present
• Contractor/on-call virtual position.
• Teach music to children of all ages, skill levels, and backgrounds online.
• Creative teaching solutions required to navigate the exclusively online dynamic.
PROJECT MANAGER, OUTSIDE IN MUSIC RECORDS
January 2020 - Present
• Planning, writing, and overseeing artist pitches and campaigns to press, radio, and streaming services from inception to completion.
• Direct liaison between the company and the artists/clientele signed to the label.
• Analyze results of projects and adjust based on analysis to improve efficiency of campaign and marketing strategies.
• Social media management and web design for the business and clientele.
• Strong writing and communication skills utilized in journalism, interviewing, and creation of press releases, bios, and blurbs for artists on the label.
• Official company liaison with industry contacts and actively building relationships with new contacts.
FREELANCE MUSICIAN, DFW, TX
Performer/Composer/Arranger/Teacher. Sep 2016 – Present.
• High level of jazz, pop, funk, Gospel, Latin, and folk improvisation required.
• Compose new music and uniquely arrange existing music for ensembles of varying kinds.
• Skilled in composition software such as Sibelius and production software such as Ableton Live.
• Sight-reading and ensemble playing in a variety of styles and genres at a high level.
• Lead and organize rehearsals, gigs, recording sessions, and manage bookings for ensembles.
• Teach students of all ages and backgrounds in saxophone, woodwinds, violin, music theory and composition/arranging in a variety of styles.
• Volunteer in refugee work in South Africa with International Mission Board (“IMB”).
• Volunteer with MK Re-Entry through IMB working with international students.
• Good standing member of honor societies National Society of High School Scholars and Pi Kappa Lambda, Alpha Alpha Chapter.
Simeon is such a talented musician in so many ways. He is an incredible saxophonist that can play a large array of other instruments, as well as compose and arrange in all styles. If there was someone that I trusted most to teach me about the diverse musical cultures of this world it would be him. He can do all that and more with a smile on his face and a cheerful attitude with a strong love for music.
I am a South African jazz vocalist and educator who has had the pleasure of working with Simeon whilst completing my Masters at the University of North Texas. We had the opportunity to work together in an ensemble setting, performing his arrangements of an incredible scope of music from South African jazz to Joshua Redman pieces to re-imaginings of childhood Disney and Pixar classics.
Simeon’s passion for music is a rarity. His imagination is boundless, constantly seeking to bring music he loves to listeners in fresh and innovative ways. As a composer, arranger, lyricist, band leader and performer, he gives every last bit of himself to the music and to those around him. A warm, compassionate, positive and energetic person and musician, he is a joy and inspiration to be around. Adding to that, his professionalism, service to the music and attentiveness to detail are exceptional. He is trustworthy, forward thinking and easy to work with.
I recommend Simeon unreservedly. I fully believe that people around him will be enriched by Simeon’s inspiring talent, approach, spirit and connection. His passion for music is truly infectious. It Is also Simeon’s passion to share the amazing culture and music of South Africa and I have no doubt that he would bring an infusion of brilliant cultural color to this opportunity whilst being a brilliant conduit of musical influences from around the globe.
Simeon is a very passionate music teacher and bandleader. He is articulate when it comes to putting his vision together. His patient, professional attitude makes learning or playing music extremely fulfilling. His ability to explain things very thoroughly and yet also give one enough space to think freely on their own creates a very healthy and engaging learning environment. This is especially true when creating new music through composing or improvising!
violin lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||$50||Not available||$50|
|5 hours||$235||Not available||$250|
|10 hours||$460||Not available||$500|