I have a Bachelor's degree in English with some classroom and one-on-one instruction experience at the college level. Able to help in the areas you need: grammar, composition, or general instruction. I am also a native English speaker with some ESL/TEOSL background if you need that.
I have a year and a half instruction experience in English, more in other areas. Most of my experience is with individual instruction, but I've taught in small groups as well. While my Master's is in software engineering, I have experience writing a thesis for that and can help with thesis and dissertation prep.
Experienced software engineer and instructor/trainer with excellent communication skills. Accustomed to diverse environments and solving problems in the minute. Seeking career change.
Full Lifecycle Project Management | Software Engineering | Release Engineering | Scaling
Infrastructure Tool Development | Continuous Integration | Process Improvement
Documentation | Training
JUKIN MEDIA | Los Angeles, CA
Grails Developer / Contractor (2016 – 2016)
Migrated build system to Jenkins 2, refactoring and consolidating build jobs to reduce the number and execution time. Dealt with build and production issues. Maintained Grails code.
• Automated package builds to output both Amazon Linux RPM and Ubuntu deb bundles.
LIONSGATE | Santa Monica, CA
Software Developer / Contractor (2015 - 2015)
Consult on growth of Lionsgate’s infrastructure for promotions and theatrical websites. Assess development process and security.
• Designed and built Java push-button solution for creating wireframe sites and continuous integration environment for vendors and Web designers to publish to them with Git and Jenkins.
• Provided security guidance and authored policies for vendor development guidelines and technical design documentation
• Trained technical and non-technical users on new software and processes.
GRAVITY / AOL | Santa Monica, CA
Operations Engineer (2013 - 2015)
Held responsibility for infrastructure management, monitoring, and automation. Worked as release engineer for production code deployments, automating publication of customer-facing Java WARs and internal reporting tools using R, RStudio, and Shiny-Server. Drove efforts to improve anomaly detection, continuous integration, alerting, and data flow. Built infrastructure tools for automation and monitoring in Ruby.
• Developed monitoring and data management tools, including constant data synchronization between production, reporting, and archive clusters, automated backups to Amazon S3, space and currency monitoring, and streaming data imports.
• Designed and built unique automated continuous integration system for Puppet manifests with Jenkins to employ unit tests and staged deployments with error rate graphs and manual promotion, virtually eliminating negative production impact.
• Refactored deployment for Java WAR files from Jenkins builds to speed deployments, and allow integrated unit, functional, and regression tests, selective staging of code, promotion of code to production, and version-stamped builds and directed deployments.
• Presented at Southern California Linux Expo on PgPool and PostgreSQL.
SMALL DEMONS | Marina del Rey, CA
Senior Developer (2011 - 2013)
Built tooling and infrastructure for startup company. Performed release engineering for internal and external
software, introducing versioned packaging and unit tests along with build environment.
• Designed and built redundant proxy to bridge external networks to AWS VPC server environments using custom menu-driven SSH proxy.
• Built on new infrastructure in AWS EC2, including automations necessary to provide redundancy inside VPC and general automation.
• Created custom monitoring tools with a coherent interface to unify. Wrote patches for bug fixes and customizations to diverse open source software as required.
• Constructed PHP front-end to puppet's "last run" data to show pending changes for the next run.
• Wrote security and network documentation for partner review.
EL CAMINO COLLEGE | Torrance, CA
Teaching Assistant (1997 - 1998)
Worked with English students, mainly in remedial and ESL classes, on grammar and composition.
• Assisted with in-class instruction evaluating student work and providing further elucidation on lessons or instructor comments.
• Worked one-on-one with students in the writing lab to help with papers and instruction.
GONZAGA UNIVERSITY | Spokane, WA
Lab Assistant (1996-1997)
Worked with individual students on writing assignments across disciplines.
• Advocated and taught the “power paragraph” as a way to demonstrate the five paragraph essay concisely.
UNIVERSITY OF LIVERPOOL - Liverpool, UK
Master of Science, Information Technology (Software Engineering)
GONZAGA UNIVERSITY - Spokane, WA
Bachelor of Arts, English (major) / Computer Science (minor)
UNIVERSITY OF SAN DIEGO EXTENSION- San Diego, CA
Certificate, Teaching English as a Foreign Language (in progress)
academic english lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest Academic tutoring to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, creative writing lessons for all!
Taking literacy lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$60||$60|
|5 hours||Not available||$50||$300|
|10 hours||Not available||$35||$600|