My approach is a engaging classroom allowing students to think on their own; integrating small-group discussions, utilizing videos to elicit critical thinking. "Education" is from the Latin "Educere" meaning to nourish, to bring up or to draw out.
I am an 15+ year educator having worked with thousands of students in the U.S. & Asia having built key partnerships within academic & business communities to facilitate co-ops, internships, mentorships for students. My motto is "Students Success is My Success!!"
DEBORAH V. BURGESS
Talent Acquisition Specialist | Admissions Counselor | Recruiter | Student Advisor
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
• 20 years’ experience mentoring, coaching and motivating students and professionals create and pursue personal, academic, and professional goals
• Tri-lingual communicator – English, Spanish and Mandarin, comfortable in diverse environments as trainer, coach and instructor of communication courses, professional workshops, and as “cultural” ambassador
• Awarded Faculty Member of the Year, 1999 & 2000 in recognition of outstanding contributions to teaching and shaping individual’s professional and academic goals
• Strong advocate for organization, capable of developing key persuasive communications to promote
marketing and business development
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL TRAINING PROFILE
Master of Science, Communication/Leadership, University of Denver, Denver, CO
Bachelor of Science, Criminology/Speech Communication, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL
Staff Development, The Center for Teaching Effectiveness, October 2013
Core Mediation/Alternative Dispute Resolution Skills; Mediators without Borders, July 2010
Online Instructor Training, Metropolitan State University of Denver, August 2005
Spiritual Counseling, The Holmes Institute, September 2002
Academic Counseling/Mentorship • Professional Training/Coaching • Talent Acquisition • Recruitment
Conflict Resolution • Technical Presentations • Diversity/Wellness Programs • Professional Workshops
Cross-Functional Teams • Multicultural Communication • Team Leadership/Motivation • Staff Development
Spartan College of Aeronautics & Technology, Broomfield, CO 4/2019-6/25/2020
Career Services Advisor
The Career Services Advisor is responsible for successfully preparing students to find, secure, and retain employment, giving them the skills necessary to repeat this process throughout their careers. This position will work closely with the other department teams such as the Student Services, Education Department, Faculty, other campus, and administration. Therefore, the person must have the written and verbal communications skills to constantly update other departments on the progress of students and alumni on an individual and collective basis, and the customer service skills to quickly and professionally resolve problems that could impede career progress.
UNIVERSITY of the ROCKIES, Denver, CO 8/2014-4/2019
Enrollment Services Advisor
Identified and qualified prospective students for programs at the university. Communicated effective messages to students orally and written. Scheduled and conducted admissions interviews while effectively identifying and addressing the concerns of prospective students. Created an inclusive environment in the
Admissions process that served a diverse student population.
• Proactively partnered with various Student-Facing Departments to ensure student success
• Successfully completed the REAP and Talisma Customer Relation Management training to
access student data expeditiously
KELLY SERVICES – MEASURED PROGRESS, Longmont, CO 4/2014 –June 2014
Analyze K-12 student test responses on multiple assessment questions in Reading, Writing, Mathematics and Science. Evaluate results through a series of scoring rubric and other key metrics to maintain academic integrity, federal and state compliance, and defined client objectives. Collaborate with client to design assessment models and construct testing and evaluation criteria. Create and present reports to client stakeholders interpreting test results and formulating analytical data to support operational objectives.
• Develop assessment tools to better identify at-risk student profiles for immediate academic intervention
• Established expert sought out by client and peers to design compliant, fair, and diverse testing tools to maximize productivity
TARGET CORPORATION, Lakewood, CO 2013 – 4/2014
Provided customer sales and service in the apparel, accessories, footwear, and jewelry departments. Responsible for conducting customer searches on electronic personal assistants in a timely manner. Collaborated with team leads and floor managers on strategic planning for implement promotional sales and stock level plans.
• Identified low and high seller products to optimize profitability and minimize losses
• Assured high customer satisfaction rate through efficient and tactful approach to resolving customer service issues
INTERNATIONAL COLLEGE OF BEIJING, Beijing, China 2010 – 2013
Communication Advisor/Student Advisor
Coached “Freshmen Class” on fundamental and presentational communication skills through self-designed First-Year Success program. Advised and motivated students with strategic planning, goal setting and career development while preparing for enrollment within U.S. academic institutions. Officiated regional
Communication Advisor/Student Advisor (continued)
competitions between US and British debate teams. Led China Agricultural University’s International MBA Center’s eight-week intensive course in business communication, professional speaking, effective business teams and mediation skills.
• Selected as member of Employment Interview Committee to evaluate prospective School of Communication employees
• Addressed 100 students, family, and faculty as keynote speaker for Freshman Orientation-Fall 2010
UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO - DENVER, Denver, CO 1993 – 2010
Communication Instructor /Student Advisor/Faculty Director
Designed and taught lower and upper level communication courses on diversity, gender, politics, and interpersonal skills. Designated “academic ambassador” facilitating communication for staff, faculty and students between International College of Beijing and University of Colorado - provided academic guidance, coordinated program development, and promoted academic and cultural exchanges.
• Promoted to Faculty Director to foster better communication between International College of Beijing University of Colorado
• Gained reputation as dynamic and effective “coach” and instructor, frequently recommended by students for academic counseling and upper-level communication classes
U.S. GENERAL SERVICES ADMINISTRATION (GSA), San Francisco, CA 2002 – 2003
Designed and led professional seminars exploring workplace issues of gender, diversity, inclusion, and generational differences. Compiled and analyzed focus group data and survey results to Regional Director of Operations. Made recommendations on corporate initiatives and policies to improve personnel relations within organization.
• Delivered 30 seminars within Los Angeles and San Diego GSA offices, providing a forum for thought leadership to over 100 professionals
WESTERN MANAGEMENT DEVELOPMENT CENTER, Aurora, CO 2000 – 2008
Led custom professional workshops on workplace diversity and inclusivity for senior executives and GS-level professionals. Developed simulated exercises and take-away lessons designed to raise awareness on key themes in workplace discrimination and modeling diversity programs. Resident expert, collaborating with center’s director to select appropriate learning resources, mining and evaluating workshop participants’ results and developing reports to support critical operational objectives.
• Earned reputation amongst workshop participants for delivering dynamic, informative presentations relevant to trending workplace topics
• Received 90% positive participant reviews for well-designed, informative, effectively presented workshops through anonymous surveys and direct feedback
TEIKYO LORETTO HEIGHTS UNIVERSITY, Denver, CO 2000 – 2006
Instructor Studies/Student Advisor
Instructed senior college students on a range of courses from International Business, Intercultural Communication, Diversity and Globalization. Mentored, coached, and advised first year students (mostly Japanese) on communication skills, cultural transition, and adaptation. Promoted cultural and business exchanges by leading fieldtrips to various business and social institutions within the Denver metropolitan area.
• Awarded Faculty Member of the Year two times in a row by student vote in 1999 & 2000
• Built key partnerships within business community to facilitate student co-ops, internships, mentorships, and other business relationships
career coaching lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest Professional training to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, leadership lessons for all!
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||$25|