Teaching English as a foreign or second language is a specific area of instruction that necessitates even more student-centered attention in certain areas. I believe that teaching EFL/ESL requires a combination of patience, empathy, realism, and ultimately working toward the goal of student speaking autonomy.
Through my experiences tutoring and teaching, I have come to learn that teaching students in a way that constantly elicits output helps make sure that lessons are not taught too far above or below the current level of students’ knowledge. I believe that using a target language topic as soon and as frequently as possible increases a students’ ability to reproduce and remember material.
One of my guiding principles is to create a learning environment that is versatile, and therefore able to fit the needs of various learner types; an environment that is also motivating, supportive, and effective in the goal of language acquisition.
I graduated from Georgia State University with a bachelor's degree in applied linguistics, and also received an EFL teaching certification in 2018. Before that, I received an associate's degree in communications from Georgia Perimeter College in 2016. While attending Georgia State University from 2016 to 2018, I worked as a student assistant communications tutor at Georgia State University Perimeter College, Learning and Tutoring Center. I tutored all subjects related to writing, which include English, history, psychology, communications, and journalism. I assisted with the correction of grammar, and in formatting correct essay structure, outlines, and brainstorming topics. After graduating in August 2018, I traveled to Turkey where I worked as an ESL teacher and customer service assistant before returning home in May 2019. I am currently a part-time communications supervisor for the Perimeter College Learning and Tutoring Center at Georgia State University.
Georgia State University, Atlanta, GA
• Bachelor of Arts – Applied Linguistics/Teaching EFL (August - 2018)
• Certification in Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL)
Georgia Perimeter College, Clarkston, GA (May 23 - 2016)
Associates of Arts Degree - Communications
Georgia Piedmont Technical College, Clarkston, GA (December - 2010)
Certified Nursing Assistant Certificate
Medco Health Tourism: Turkey, Esenyurt/İstanbul (March – May 2019)
Customer Service Associate
• Responds to inquiries about medical treatment Through email, calls, and messaging
• Follows up with interested clients for bookings
• Updates spreadsheets with client information
• Works with Medco team members to obtain and deliver information from doctors for timely feedback to potential clients
• Creates daily schedules for patient’s arrival to Turkey
• Fills out patient forms with personal and travel information and creates patient files
• Meets with patients before and after medical procedures
Berlitz Language School: Istanbul Turkey, Şişli Branch (February – April 2019)
• Prepared lessons in accordance with the Berlitz teaching method
• Conducted full, Simi private, and private classes
• Taught both adult and child centered lessons
• Prepared student information cards after each class
Georgia State University- Engaging EFL Teachers and Learners (March 10 - 18, 2018)
International Setting: Mexico
• Observed and participated in EFL classes in Oaxaca and Mexico City
• Lesson plan creation and lesson instruction in the Facultad De Idiomas at the Universidad Autónoma Benito Juárez De Oaxaca
• Attended EFL pedagogical workshops and lectures at the Universidad Autónoma Benito Juárez De Oaxaca and The Universidad Pedagógica Nacional in Mexico City
Georgia State University Perimeter College, Decatur GA, USA (August 2016 – August 2018)
Learning and Tutoring Center
Student Assistant: Communications Tutor
• Tutoring in all subjects related to writing, which include English, history, psychology, communications, Journalism, Public Speaking etc.
• Assists with the correction of grammar, and in formatting correct essay structure, outlines, and brainstorming topics.
• Assists students in the use of Microsoft Office (Word/PowerPoint), in addition to the Georgia State University Online Student System (iCollege, Galileo, and PAWS Portal).
• Extended Tutoring Time (ETT) sessions. Personalized one-hour tutoring sessions for students who need extra essay writing assistance. Consists of in-depth one-on-one tutoring sessions to improve students’ written use of grammar forms, review step by step elements of essay writing, and help improve or develop writing specific study skills related to specific writing courses, i.e. poetry analysis.
Taubah Academy, Stone Mountain GA, USA (2014 - 2015)
Elementary Teacher (Pre-K – 2nd Grade)
• Instructed Math, Reading, and Writing, in Pre-K and Kindergarten. Instructed, reading and social studies in 1st and 2nd grade.
o Lesson planning of
o Grading assignments
• Supervised field trips.
• Assisted in Lunchroom/PE, and after school supervision.
Georgia State University Intensive English Program (IEP) (June 2018 – July 2018)
Communication Partner- Summer Semester
• Meet with English learners at least once a week to practice speaking.
• Assists with definitions of new vocabulary, grammar, idioms, and other
elements of English learning.
• Arranges excursions within metro Atlanta to practice speaking English
in different environments and facilitate conversation using varied vocabulary.
Georgia State University Intercultural Communication Exchange (ICE)
Discussion Group Partner Within the Intensive English Program
• Participated in weekly meetings with IEP students to practice speaking English
through various games that covered different topics, which include culture, living abroad,
and being a student.
Hijrah Tutoring, Stone Mountain GA (2005 - 2014)
Teacher’s Assistant (Volunteer)
• Tutored grades Pre-k through 5th grade in Spanish, ELA, and math/science
• Assisted in clerical work which included data entry, grading/filing and assembling assignments
Key Applications/Skills & Certificates
• Certificate of Assistance and Participation in Intercultural Encounters in Language Teaching by the Center of Teaching and Learning Languages (CEAL) at The Universidad Pedagógica Nacional in Mexico City
• Certification in Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL)
• International Tutor Certification, Level I
• Intermediate Spanish II Certificate of Achievement
• Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint
• Outlook 365
• National Society of Collegiate Scholars
• Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society
vocabulary - english lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest ESL lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, writing comprehension - english lessons for all!
Taking listening comprehension - english lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$25||$20|