I have two masters degrees from NYU in English Education and Theater education (4.0 GPA); I have 10 years of experience teaching the SAT and Shakespeare to high school students at one of the top exam high schools in NYC. Additionally, I have been teaching ACT, SAT and subject exams for various tutoring companies for 10 years. I genuinely love pre-teens and teenage kids, and believe that the key to improving is really listening to individual's learning styles, and helping to create a plan based on individual student's specific needs.
Please see above.
Ive taught over 2,000 students in my 10 years of classroom experience (170 students a year, plus private tutoring clients:) and I pride myself on creating an individualized plan for each student based on his or her personal learning style. My track record is stellar. Across the board, every student I have worked with on an individual basis has improved vastly, and most importantly, has become more confident in the subject matter and in themselves.
New York University, Steinhardt School of Education, MA in Educational Theatre and English Education grades 7-12 (dual certification), May 2005. (G.P.A. 4.0)
Haverford College, Haverford, PA. Bachelor of Arts in Comparative Literature: Spanish and English. Concentration in Feminist and Gender Studies, Minor in Theatre, May 1999.
Temple University in Rome, Rome, Italy. Junior year Abroad. 1997-1998.
Fall 2014-present Center for Arts in Education New York, NY
• Teach after school drama classes to students grades 5-12
• Use common core initiatives and incorporate them into dramatic performances
• Create and implement lesson plans
• Teach dance classes to cover other creative mediums
Winter ’05-Fall 2014 Brooklyn Technical High School Brooklyn, NY
English Teacher/Head of Dramatic program
• Taught 9th -12th grade English (yearly roster of 170 students)
• Created and implemented lesson plans
• Directed the fall play (after having worked to reinstate the theater program)
• Tutored students after school
• 100% regents passing rate for students in 2007-2008 roster
• Student Advisor to the freshman class (2006-2007)
• Advisor for Horizons, the school literary magazine
6/07-6/10 Upward Bound through Pace University New York, NY
SAT and Literature Teacher
• Teach literature and SAT preparation to inner city youth
• Assist students with grammar skills
• Created a basic Shakespeare class for struggling students
2007-2010 Damon Weber Foundation: college drama scholarship program NY, NY
• Coach students with application for foundation for drama scholarship
• Consult with Doron Weber, CEO of foundation, throughout the year
• Keynote speaker at foundation presentation each spring
2005-2011 Vibe Theater: a not-for-profit theater company for teenage girls NY, NY
• Nominate girls for this rigorous playwriting/performance program
• Prepare and coach students for auditions
• Meet with founder Dana Edell for progress reports
Summer 2008 New York City Department of Education New York, NY
• One of seven New York City certified teachers chosen to unify NYCDOE
• English curriculum with state standards
• Wrote 9th-10th grade curriculum (American Literature Curriculum)
• Connected the use of contemporary literature to required curriculum
• Assisted new teachers in the implementation of English curriculum
12/03-5/05 Inspirica New York, NY
Taught academic writing, math and Spanish to high school students
SAT tutoring (each student’s score increased between 100-300 points)
Fall 2004 John Jay High School Brooklyn, NY
Taught drama activities after school to middle and high school students.
Helped students to write and create theatrical performances
9/00-6/03 Columbia University Center for Career Services New York, NY.
Resource Center Coordinator/Career Advisor
Counseled students on career options
Corrected and assisted students with resumes/cover letters
First Resource Center Coordinator to be promoted to Career Advisor
Facilitated job search workshops
Summer 2011 Folger Shakespeare Institute Washington, DC
NEH Grant: Folger Teaching Shakespeare Institute
Paid a stipend for intensive study, 14 hours a day, of Pericles, Comedy of Errors, Othello and Merchant of Venice
Attended seminars with Folger’s Shakespeare scholars from around the country
Daily research in Folger Shakespeare Library
Wrote a 25 page, final dissertation on research
Intensive Shakespeare performance study/monologue work
Summer 2009 Cullman Center for Scholars and Writers New York, NY
Scholarship recipient for course: Race and Slavery in Antebellum America
Received stipend to attend workshops with Columbia graduate professor Ezra Tawil
Examined and analyzed works such as Uncle Tom’s Cabin and Benito Cereno in order to better grasp racism in Antebellum America
Explored and utilized the New York Public Library’s Cullman Center
Summer 2007 Folger Shakespeare Institute BAM, New York
Scholarship recipient for course: Folger Teaching Shakespeare Institute
Read and analyzed Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet and Midsummer Night’s Dream
Developed curricula and lesson plans based on analytical discoveries
Attended seminars with Folger’s Shakespearean scholars
Viewed and analyzed various performances of Shakespeare
Language: Intermediate in Spanish and Knowledge of Italian
Computers: Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Adobe and Internet (Explorer and Netscape)
academic english lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest essay writing lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, Test prep for all!
Taking english literature lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|