As the professional world seems to be moving faster each day, and the practice of networking makes every social interaction all-the-more valuable, having confidence in yourself and your skills is more important than ever before.
But what if you find it difficult to throw yourself into a conversation with someone else? Or you fear being judged by others in public?
If you’re often struggling to get your voice heard more generally, whether it be in a professional setting, among friends, or even trying to talk to make conversation with the people you come across in your everyday life, you might have been wondering about what you can do to help this.
Some people put their low amount of social interaction down to having an introverted personality, but introversion, while it is often associated with shyness, is not down to a lack of confidence. In fact, you can be an introvert who is perfectly comfortable going about their personal and working lives, but a lack of confidence can make this significantly more difficult.
So, how might improving your levels of self-confidence change the way you experience life?
There are many reasons people want to increase their confidence. From climbing the career ladder to simply having the courage to take up a new hobby, being more confident in yourself will not only open up multiple opportunities, but it will also help you get more out of life.
Acting more confident is not the same thing as feeling confident, however, so if you’re hoping to become more confident, rather than learning how to act like a confident person, think about hiring a life coach to help you reach your goal.
Life coaching is a method of talk therapy used by people who want guidance on altering their lifestyles. There are many types of life coaching available for various purposes, including services to help with professional goals such as career coaching programs, business coaching, leadership coaching, corporate coaching services, executive coaching, business coaches for entrepreneurs and coaching sessions for those looking for guidance with a career change or improving their work-life balance.
In addition to these, there are coaches and trainers who help people with personal coaching services such as wellness coaching.
Personal coaching focusses on personal development in a way that relates to someone’s personal life, rather than their professional success.
People seek the services of a personal coach for many reasons. For instance, they may be working towards transformational change to their lifestyles and need someone to motivate them and keep them moving forward towards their goal. In other situations, clients may have a goal in mind yet they may be unsure as to how to reach it – in this case, a wellness coach could put them on the right path before helping them to succeed with their dreams.
Building confidence can be done with personal coaching services. To learn more about life coaching to improve your confidence as well as finding a life coach to suit our needs, read on!
What Services do Life Coaches Offer?
As we’ve already touched upon, there are many types of life coaching on the market. But what can you expect to find when researching life coaching for personal growth and, more specifically, building confidence?
The Life Coach Directory explains how confidence in oneself has several aspects. These include:
- Self-confidence: While it is used as an umbrella term, self-confidence may be regarded as self-belief. Someone with a high level of self-confidence will feel comfortable in their abilities when it comes to completing tasks and interacting with others.
- Self-esteem: Self-esteem is associated with the way you feel about yourself compared to the other people you encounter in your life. It goes hand-in-hand with the concept of self-worth as it reflects how you value yourself. Those with low levels of self-esteem may experience feelings of inadequacy and even isolation.
- Self-image: Self-image can be described in terms of both self-confidence and self-esteem. It is about the way in which you view yourself from an outside perspective and the way in which you may present yourself to others.
The life coach Edinburgh you choose may vary depending on the area of your confidence you wish to work on. It is wise to consult with individual coaches and read plenty of testimonials before you make a final decision.
Here are some examples of the services offered by life coaches for confidence:
- Building a positive mindset: For many people who struggle with their confidence or self-image, their negative feelings towards themselves can be traced to their outlook. Life coaches can offer an alternative perspective on their day-to-day lives, which, in turn, can have a positive effect on the way they view themselves by un-learning negative reactions and replacing them with positive alternatives.
- Advice on building your self-esteem: Life coaches will get to know their client as best they can in order to find the root of the problem. When it comes to improving someone’s self-esteem, methods can vary from one client to the next, so coaches will always offer advice which is tailored to the needs of each client.
- Creating a confident self-image: Those with a poor self-image may fear meeting new people or appearing before an audience in public-speaking situations, for example. Life coaches can offer advice on how to appear confident on the outside by altering body language, a practice which often translates to an improved self-image.
Life coaches services don't always have to be one on one; many coaches offer fulfilling group coaching sessions where you can still benefit from the empowerment, motivation and inspiring talents of an accredited life coach in a group setting.
Methods Used by Life Coaches to Help Build Confidence
Hiring a life coach isn’t like buying a product from the supermarket – in order to see tangible results, you’ll have to put in the hard work that your coach is asking of you. This means heeding their advice and practising the methods and plans assigned to you.
Whether they specialise in a certain area or usually take a holistic approach with their treatment, life coaches use a variety of methods to help people overcome certain feelings which contribute to low self-worth. While some involve learning and practising new skills, others centre around reflection on your place in society.
Here are just some methods used by life coaches in cases of low self-confidence, self-esteem or self-image which you may see in your life coaching sessions:
One of the most common ways in which coaches help people to realise their self-worth is to have them take stock of their positive attributes as a means of empowering them. For instance, if someone feels like a fraud in their career (a common issue for those with low self-esteem), they may be asked to list the achievements and positive attributes that led to their position.
Reflecting on your personal qualities, achievements and your positive attributes, achievements, and the areas in which you are already confident can lift your spirits and give you a good foundation to build on.
- Reject negative thoughts
The root of low levels of confidence is often to do with having a negative mindset when it comes to the opinion which is held of oneself. Life coaches prescribe several exercises to help their clients change their self-perception. These may involve accepting compliments from other people without self-deprecating or making positive affirmations in front of a mirror as part of a client’s morning routine.
- Identify and remove sources of negativity from your life
When discussing your personal experiences, your coach may identify some possessions, situations or people who are having a negative impact on your confidence.
In order to help resolve your problems, your life coach Glasgow may ask you about the prospect of removing some of these things from your life. This can be a difficult and sometimes impossible task, and it is up to each individual to make their own decision when it comes to dealing with muting these negative sources.
- Challenge yourself
Confidence is to do with your level of self-belief, and whether you have faith in your own abilities. This is why coaches are keen to learn about their clients’ personal goals when helping them to boost their confidence.
By finding out what clients what to achieve or learn to do better, coaches often make plans for them to challenge themselves outside of their sessions. The idea behind this is that confidence when people prove their own abilities to themselves.
- Practice confidence-building skills
Many people with low self-esteem and self-image believe that they are viewed in a negative way by others. Due to the fact that these feelings can also make people feel like an imposter in their profession or peer group, life coaches often recommend practices which contribute to a good self-image. Examples of these practices include expanding one’s knowledge in certain areas as well as starting a self-care routine.
Reading up on various subjects and learning about new ones can help with confidence by giving shy people something new to share with others, while practising self-care can help them enjoy spending time with themselves, thus improving their self-worth.
See how a life coach can help with depression.
Or, how life coaching can help you to lose weight.