"Why walk when you can dance?" - Ellen Van Dam
There are a variety of reasons that might convince you to take dance lessons. Opening your eyes to the world of dance can be the opportunity to do something you've always wanted to do. Maybe it's because you want to learn a different dance style, like tap dance, or you want to do some dance fitness, like Zumba.
Whatever the reason, you’ve made a great choice, and now its time to help you find the right dance program for you.
So where can you look for dance classes?
Dance classes and lesson opportunities can be found at a traditional dance school, through private dance tutors, and of course, online.
When looking for dance instructors it is important to keep in mind what kind of dance styles you would like to practice, what are your ultimate goals are for the class, and how much are you willing to invest to improve your moves.
The world of dance is so vast that other, less traditional, locations also hold dance classes. Nowadays, gyms have dance fitness classes, musical theaters have dance workshops, and there might even be a "how to dance the bachata" night at a local bar.
Where ever you receive dance lessons from, it will always be a great idea to explore this freeing and exciting art form.
Finding Dance Classes at a Dance School
Searching for dance classes at a dance school or conservatory is quite easy. A quick google search can open your eyes to the dance schools in your area, but selecting the right one takes a little bit of effort. There are a variety of components that can make or break a dance center.
First and foremost, the dance company should have the services you want. Do they have adult dance classes? Do they have lyrical dance classes? Do they have the right tools to help you improve your dance technique?
By making a critical assessment of a couple of studios in your area, you will have an easier time choosing which one works best for you. Don't be afraid to ask questions and if possible take advantage of free introductory classes in order to really feel out their dance programs.
Here are a couple of other ideas to keep in mind when choosing a dance studio:
- Make sure that the studio has instructors, not just choreographers. Choreographers are great but certified dance teachers will know how to teach you what you need to learn to achieve your goals;
- Take into consideration the studio’s conditions and maintenance;
- Watch out for reasonable pricing. The average cost of a dance lesson can vary from location to location so make sure to scout out the best deals in your area. You can take advantage of group deals or packages that the studio might offer;
- Be sure that the studio offers your preferred style of dance;
- Ask if they offer adult classes and classes for dancers of different dance experience and training;
- Be sure that the dance class schedule fits with yours. If you work, make sure to check if they have classes that you can attend after work or on the weekend.
Dance Lessons in Your Community
Depending on your community and the size of the city you live in, there is a possibility that the community offers free or low-priced dance lessons. Some local governments might also put on dance classes for kids and older adults in community centers or city halls.
In addition, there are organizations that might offer discounted dance classes for lower than average prices. The YMCA offers a variety of dance classes throughout their almost 3,000 locations throughout the United States. The YMCA offers Zumba, Hip Hop, and Pop Fitness, as part of their dance fitness class programs.
Check for adult dance classes near me here.
Cultural centers might also offer occasional dance lessons for their traditional dances. For example, the Argentinian consulate in NYC offers occasional tango classes in order to share the art of dance and Argentinian culture with the community.
The South African consulate sponsors and annual Afro Dance Festival where they hold small seminars on different styles of African dance native to South Africa.
Dance studios are not the only ones to offer a place to improve your dance moves. A dance floor can be found just about anywhere, make sure to keep your eyes open for announcements!
Private Dance Lessons
Private lessons are most likely going to be advertised by private dance instructors. One of the main reasons people choose to do private dance lessons is to learn rare styles of dance.
Private teachers can help create an individualized dance training program to help you reach your goals. By choosing to do classes one-on-one, you have a greater opportunity to learn at your own pace and have a greater say in the creative movement of your classes.
There are hundreds of different dance styles, each one with its individual characteristics. Classical ballet requires pointe technique.
Tap dancing requires tap shoes. Contemporary dance requires the ability of improvisation. All of these are different techniques that can not be taught by one individual, that is why dance tutors specialize in one form of dance. In order to get the most bang for your buck, make sure that your instructor specializes in dance instruction for your preferred style of dance.
You can choose to do private lessons for your wedding dance, to improve your choreography, or even just to learn the basic steps of ballroom dancing. Whatever your choice of dance classes, a personal dance tutor can give you the most opportunity to learn with flexible location and meeting times.
Private lessons can also help experienced dancers prepare for an upcoming dance performance or recital. With a solo class, you will be able to get more attention than you would in a group dance class.
If you feel that you have fallen behind in the curriculum, you might benefit from a little more attention in order to get back on track.
The tutors here on Superprof offer private lessons on a range of styles of dance and prices.
Finding Dance Classes Online
In the digital age, you can find almost everything online. There are even dance lessons! Dance tutors have hopped on the virtual bandwagon and offer video classes online for your convenience.
These lessons come from in video form or through a real-time video call with the dance instructor. If your local dance schools do not offer classes for your preferred dance style, there are plenty of online dance tutors that would be willing to teach you remotely.
Make sure to look for dance classes online, at dance academies, and throughout your community, you'll be sure to find classes that fit your needs. With multiple options, you will also need to know how to choose the right dance instructor.
Once you have found a dance class and instructor, you can begin your journey on becoming a better dancer. Here are a couple of ideas to keep in mind throughout your dancing experience:
- Continuously take lessons - taking a dance lesson once a year will not help you improve your skills all that much. Consistency is key. If you sign up for classes at a local dance studio, they may range from once a week to three times a week, all depending on the intensity of the course;
- Practice daily - It's important for you to practice what you learn in class because as they say, practice makes perfect. Good dancing is dependent on muscle memory, so make sure you train your muscles with plenty of practice;
- Be Goal Orientated - having a goal in mind can help you improve even more rapidly. Working towards a specific goal can help you improve faster. Think about what exact footwork you would like to work on;
- Keep the inspiration flowing - staying motivated and inspired to continue improving your dancing is crucial. There are thousands of dance videos online that you can look to for inspiration. Follow the accounts of your favorite dancers on Instagram and Facebook for daily inspiration!
Find out how to dance here.