Studying art at one of the best art schools in the US requires talent and dedication, often more than most conventional degrees like engineering or the sciences.
An artist needs to evolve their style as they learn new concepts. Often, artists need inspiration to get going; therefore, you must motivate yourself to work creatively and independently to get into the field.
And once you graduate from art school, the degree will open doors to numerous outstanding opportunities.
But why is studying art something you should consider? What art degrees do different art schools, colleges, and universities offer? Which art school is best for the arts degree in the US?
You will find the answers to all these and more in our quick guide to studying art in the USA. Therefore, without any further ado, let's discuss the perks of studying art:
Why Is Studying Art Important In School, College, Or University?
Once known as a low-value qualification, getting an art degree from a top art school in the USA has gained immense significance.
This increase in reverence is down to the intricate analysis skills, leadership traits, and an understanding of human emotional empathy that come with an art degree.
Check out a quick guide to studying art here.
Whether you're an aspiring artist or a student who wants to pursue a degree in arts, here are various reasons why studying arts is vital in school, college, or at the university level:
- An arts degree is undoubtedly a more creative and innovative field compared to the traditional academic disciplines most people choose
- When you pursue an art degree in school, you build a detailed knowledge of different art techniques and also visual arts
- Through your art degree, you can express your emotions creatively and in a manner that influences people
- You'll get to know what real art is and how it can be judged subjectively
- It helps you build and improve your problem-solving skills
- With a degree in arts, you'll be able to see and perceive the world differently than others
- Through your artwork, you'll connect with your soul on a far deeper level than you could ever imagine
- Not just yours, but an education from one of the best art schools in the US will help you connect with other civilizations, heritages, and customs
- If appropriately used, it is a great way to keep stress levels incredibly low and happiness high
- It also boosts your self-esteem and confidence, which helps you not only in your studies but in everyday life as well
- Your art degree provides you with critical thinking and context skills, which will help you enhance your ability to understand complex concepts
- It enables you to explain things more profoundly
- It helps to flex brain muscles
- It provides you with a natural feeling of achievement
- The process of creating something develops and improve fine motor skills
- It Increases emotional intelligence
- Your arts degree help you develop teamwork and collaborative skills, flexible thinking, technological competencies, intuition, imagination, and reasoning
Popular Design And Art Degrees
An art degree is an umbrella term for numerous different specifications. You can choose to become a qualified designer, artist, and illustrator depending on what you enjoy doing!
Here are some of the most popular design and art degrees that you can go for:
- Fine Arts
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Design Studies
- Art history
- Film, cinematics, and photography
- Interior Design
- Fashion and Apparel Design
- Culinary Arts
What Kind Of Art Degrees Do You Need?
Typically, art degrees fall within two broad categories: Media Arts or Fine Arts. A Fine arts degree encompasses classes on theatre, music, film, painting, sculpture, and numerous other visual and performing arts.
On the other hand, art degrees that focus more on the commercial aspects – often termed "media arts" – include fields such as interior design, graphic design, and animation.
And you can make the switch at any point in your education. It is entirely possible to apply to any of the best art schools in the USA at certificate, associate, bachelor's, and master's levels.
What makes the process easier is that several universities and colleges offer their programs online, especially since the pandemic.
Although visual and performing arts usually don't sit well with the virtual environment, various art history courses can be taken virtually.
For adult learners with jobs or families to look after, online art degrees are ideal. That's because virtual programs are more flexible and convenient.
Nonetheless, here are four kinds of art degrees that you can choose to study according to your requirement and skills:
1. Certificate Programs
Since art is an overarching discipline, numerous art schools, colleges, and even universities provide different types of undergraduate certificates and diplomas. Interested students can get certifications in areas including:
- Studio art
- Art history
- Graphic design
- Digital art
2. Associate Programs
Students with a strong interest in the field of art can choose an associate degree. It's a two-year, full-time study program where you can select an associate program from various fields, including:
- Studio art and design
- Philosophy and arts
- Art history
- Other media-related niches
3. Bachelor Programs
Students looking to make a career in art history, arts, or any other art-related field should go for the bachelor's degree program as it's the logical first step in their journey.
In addition to that, it's also a crucial step for students to build on a diploma or certificate. It's a four-year, full-study art degree program that can lead to a master's program in the same institute if you perform well.
4. Master's Programs
Students looking to advance their careers in search of good job opportunities in art or become professional artists should choose a master's program.
Furthermore, almost all art-related master's programs culminate in the MFA (Master of Fine Arts) degree.
Those seeking an MFA degree usually specialize in specific areas such as:
- Graphic design
The Best Art Schools In The USA
Now that you are well-versed in what qualifications you can pursue at school or university, the most pertinent question would be: where should you study arts? Which is the best art school in the US for studying arts?
If you're serious about getting a design or an art degree, the most crucial step is finding the right school, college, or a university. Make sure you choose a course and a university that fits well with your objectives.
There are many factors – such as the faculty, alumni, department, etc. – you should consider before choosing an institute to further your studies.
In addition to that, art degrees have various internal fields of study, so it would be best to conduct thorough research on each option before applying.
Nevertheless, to help you choose the best art schools in the US, we have rounded up a list. Following are the best art schools near you based on admission rates, tuition fees, and first-hand feedback both from faculty and students:
- Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Stanford University, California
- Pomona College, Claremont, California
- Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island
- Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut
- Rutgers University, New Brunswick, New Jersey
- Bard College, Dutchess County, New York
- Rhode Island School of Design, Providence, Rhode Island
- Columbia University, New York
- Savannah College Of Art And Design, Georgia
- Rice University, Houston, Texas
- University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Tufts University, Middlesex County, Massachusetts
- Dartmouth College Hanover, New Hampshire
- Bowdoin College, Brunswick, Maine
Prepare For Your Art School Entrance Exam With A Professional
If you have a passion for the arts and would like to pursue it further, the most crucial step is to choose the best art school in the US you can attend.
Always choose an academic institute that meets your needs and art requirements; choosing the wrong school, or college can negatively affect your passion for the field.
And if you need help preparing for your art school entrance exam or want a mentor to help you choose a school, sign up with Superprof!
Superprof has a vast catalog of tutors in your area, each equipped to provide tutelage, mentorship, and advice.
Sign up, search for art teachers, and select one that teaches according to your budget, on your time, and is near your area of residence.
Find Houston based coding lessons here.
The platform that connects tutors and students